Jump to content

I need to talk this through


Recommended Posts

I’m in freshman year of college and am a lesbian. Almost all of my friends know but my family doesnt. I moved out to dorms with one of my best friends who I’ve liked for a long time and we started dating officially a little over a month ago. Our relationship is super good and healthy so no problems there.
My therapist said I need to stop hiding and should come out to my alterna. The problem is my family is Mormon or LDS and I don’t know how to come out to them or what their reaction would be.  I just need some people to bounce around thoughts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alex612 said:

I’m in freshman year of college and am a lesbian. Almost all of my friends know but my family doesnt. I moved out to dorms with one of my best friends who I’ve liked for a long time and we started dating officially a little over a month ago. Our relationship is super good and healthy so no problems there.
My therapist said I need to stop hiding and should come out to my alterna. The problem is my family is Mormon or LDS and I don’t know how to come out to them or what their reaction would be.  I just need some people to bounce around thoughts. 

have you dropped hints to your parents? Have they said anything about if you ever came out as apart of the LGBTQ that they would not support it? if your dating. then surely she knows how you feel? took a big step coming here, so well done. 

  • Like 1

Keep smiling beautiful 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Lilly-Rose said:

have you dropped hints to your parents? Have they said anything about if you ever came out as apart of the LGBTQ that they would not support it? if your dating. then surely she knows how you feel? took a big step coming here, so well done. 

So my friends know and obviously my girlfriend  but I’m high school my parents thought that we might be dating so I was “grounded” from her for abou 6 months Where I couldn’t see her alone. There always had to be a third friend. So seeing how They reacted like that when they suspected I liked her when we really were just friends rally makes me worry how they’ll react if I tell them we’re together. 

Edited by Alex612
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Are your parents very religious? Would they hurt you if you came out? You said they grounded you but would they do any more if they learned you have a girlfriend?

I'm lesbian and I have a Mormon friend, she doesn't care that I'm LGBTQIA+ but your family might.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
13 hours ago, Alex612 said:

I’m in freshman year of college and am a lesbian. Almost all of my friends know but my family doesnt. I moved out to dorms with one of my best friends who I’ve liked for a long time and we started dating officially a little over a month ago. Our relationship is super good and healthy so no problems there.
My therapist said I need to stop hiding and should come out to my alterna. The problem is my family is Mormon or LDS and I don’t know how to come out to them or what their reaction would be.  I just need some people to bounce around thoughts. 

Hey Alex,

Welcome to our community. I'm glad to hear that your relationship is healthy and that your friends know too. I'm wondering, do you have an idea as to what their reaction might be? Similarly to Dewdrop's point, if there is a chance they say you cannot come back to the house/potentially hurt you, then it would be best to wait until you can make sure you are safe from them. What do you think? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Dewdrop said:

Are your parents very religious? Would they hurt you if you came out? You said they grounded you but would they do any more if they learned you have a girlfriend?

I'm lesbian and I have a Mormon friend, she doesn't care that I'm LGBTQIA+ but your family might.

They’re pretty religious. They would never hurt me like physically if that’s what you mean. But there’s a chance I’d get cut off financially if they found out I’m dating and living with my girlfriend. 
I have older sisters who they don’t agree with the way they live their lives so they don’t help financially but they are still loving towards them. But idk it just seems different to be living with a boyfriend and partying it up and having a girlfriend, at least in their eyes it might. 

6 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey Alex,

Welcome to our community. I'm glad to hear that your relationship is healthy and that your friends know too. I'm wondering, do you have an idea as to what their reaction might be? Similarly to Dewdrop's point, if there is a chance they say you cannot come back to the house/potentially hurt you, then it would be best to wait until you can make sure you are safe from them. What do you think? 

I’m moved out in college so we don’t live together. and if you look at the reply to dew drop it’s kind of the same answer :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They’re helping me pay for college and I work part time for the rest. So I would have to find another job or work more hours. I think I could manage but it would make school very difficult. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
23 hours ago, Alex612 said:

I honestly don’t know right now 😅

Hey,

That's okay. I think it's really helpful to just take sometime to process how you're feeling about your current situation, and there really is no rush to make a decision. You can go at your own pace with this. What do you think?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Consolata
      Hi, I have been questioning my sexuality and somehow I think I am bi. I told one of my closest friends about and I thought she loved me just the way I am. Boy was I wrong. She started to discuss on how I should date guys more and forget that l like girls. I felt really offended. She's saying I want to protect you from the ugly world. Yes I know this reality is messed up, but you should love me just the way I am. What should I do about her?
      Again my ex boyfriend says he wants to know if I am straight or lesbian. I don't know how to come out to him. I don't want to look like I want attention from him. I just want him to know who I really am. What should I do? I am already installing a mental breakdown into my brain. Please help me...
    • By Amory
      I have n idea how to come out to my homophobic grandparents who i live with. any tips?😢
    • By Randomgirl.
      I’ve never used this site before, so apologies if I’m doing this wrong lol. I’m really questioning my sexuality right now, and I have been seriously for a few months. I had wondered if I might be gay before, but only really because I hadn’t been able to connect with a male, and honestly just had found them kind of repulsive (no offence!). But I met this girl and I knew straight away that she was cool and I wanted to be friends with her. After seeing her a few times again it quickly turned into a fully obsessive crush. She’s amazing and I was so confused and scared at first, but now after doing a lot of thinking, I’m almost sure I’m not straight, and I don’t dislike the idea. But I still have a lot of problems to consider, like the fact she most likely doesn’t see me that way. 😕
    • By Harper
      This campaign is now over! Thanks to everyone who posted in the Sexuality, Dating and Relationships forum for Pride 2021. Enjoy your badge!
      Happy Pride everybody!
      To celebrate Pride 2021 and the introduction of new user badges, we're launching a limited edition Pride 2021 badge that you can now proudly wear on your user profile. To claim your badge, simply reply to this thread before the end of the month and you'll automatically receive it. Enjoy!

×
×
  • Create New...