I came out to my homophobic mother

FigureSk8er    

I came out to my religious, homophobic mother and she told me that being bisexual was a challenge that I had to pray about and that I should deny my true self and live like I’m straight. It really upset me because I want to date girls and boys, and my mom doesn’t look at me the same. I just want her to be accepting  and see that I’m still me. I just want to be her daughter, not her screwed up bisexual daughter.

14 hours ago, FigureSk8er said:

I came out to my religious, homophobic mother and she told me that being bisexual was a challenge that I had to pray about and that I should deny my true self and live like I’m straight. It really upset me because I want to date girls and boys, and my mom doesn’t look at me the same. I just want her to be accepting  and see that I’m still me. I just want to be her daughter, not her screwed up bisexual daughter.

Hey,

I'm really sorry to hear that it didn't go well telling her. It sounds like she's pretty emotional about it at the moment and she said really hurtful things, so I can see why this is upsetting for you as well. I just want you to know that I've supported many people who've come out to their homophobic parents. At first, emotional reactions like this are pretty normal, and once some time passes, they can often come around to the idea and become more open-minded due to being so close. What do you think? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

On 7/23/2022 at 2:48 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey,

I'm really sorry to hear that it didn't go well telling her. It sounds like she's pretty emotional about it at the moment and she said really hurtful things, so I can see why this is upsetting for you as well. I just want you to know that I've supported many people who've come out to their homophobic parents. At first, emotional reactions like this are pretty normal, and once some time passes, they can often come around to the idea and become more open-minded due to being so close. What do you think? 

I’ve been telling myself that first reactions are not final reactions and im going to wait and see if she starts to feel better before I date anyone.  Thanks for the advice!

12 hours ago, FigureSk8er said:

I’ve been telling myself that first reactions are not final reactions and im going to wait and see if she starts to feel better before I date anyone.  Thanks for the advice!

Yeah, exactly. It sounds like she was pretty emotional at first, and she might just need some time to process. Would you like anymore advice, or are you good for now?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

On 7/25/2022 at 3:42 AM, Monsoon said:

Yeah, exactly. It sounds like she was pretty emotional at first, and she might just need some time to process. Would you like anymore advice, or are you good for now?

I think I’m good for now, thanks for the help.

• Like 1