Im scared to come out to my parents but I dont know why

Joseph S.    

To give context, for the last two weeks ive come to the conclusion that I am Bisexual. My parents always told me that in the chance I turned our to be gay, Bisexual, pansexual, etc. They would  still love me the same. I love my parents a lot but I'm scares to come out to them about my sexuality 

I know it's sounds dumb, but for some reason, my subconscious doesn't let me trust what they say, I'm scared that they would do a complete 180 and stop loving me all the same just because I like boys too

I've been trying to muster the courage to tell them, but I can't. And I know I can't ignore it since I've been starting to date a boy, and the feeling sadness and desperation eats at me everyday.

• Digital Mentor
On 6/10/2023 at 7:03 AM, Joseph S. said:

To give context, for the last two weeks ive come to the conclusion that I am Bisexual. My parents always told me that in the chance I turned our to be gay, Bisexual, pansexual, etc. They would  still love me the same. I love my parents a lot but I'm scares to come out to them about my sexuality 

I know it's sounds dumb, but for some reason, my subconscious doesn't let me trust what they say, I'm scared that they would do a complete 180 and stop loving me all the same just because I like boys too

I've been trying to muster the courage to tell them, but I can't. And I know I can't ignore it since I've been starting to date a boy, and the feeling sadness and desperation eats at me everyday.

Hi there, I'm Aurora and I am one of the support mentors here at Ditch the Label! I can see that you are new here so I just wanted to say a huge big welcome to the community 😀. It's great to have you here. This is a really welcoming and safe space and there are lots of others here, who know what you're going through. 

Thank you so much for opening up about how you feel. Am I right in thinking that you're quite close with your family? I wanted to reassure you that it's totally normal to feel scared about coming out, even if we think that our family will be supportive. Can I ask, do you feel ready to come out to your family - as in would you like them to know? There is no pressure for you to come out, if you don't feel ready yet. It's up to you to decide, if and when you want to tell people.

Also, can I ask, where do you think those fears might be coming from? Has anything like this happened before, that your parents have said one thing and then reacted completely differently to what you expected? Please don't feel you have to answer any of these questions if you don't want to. This is a safe space and it's up to you, what you feel comfortable sharing with us.  

Staff-Account.png

• 6 months later...

FEEL THIS

my parents take me to pride stuff  and are accepting but i js feel SO UNCOMFORTABLE 

• Digital Mentor
14 hours ago, swiftie_am_i? said:

FEEL THIS

my parents take me to pride stuff  and are accepting but i js feel SO UNCOMFORTABLE 

Hi @swiftie_am_i?, I'm Aurora and I am one of the other support mentors here at Ditch the Label. Welcome to the forum 🙂

That's OK. Maybe you're just not quite ready to tell them yet. What do you think? There is no pressure for you to come out if you don't feel ready to. 

It's really normal to feel nervous about it even if you think your parents will be supportive. Do you mind me asking if you have come out to anyone yet (maybe a friend or a different family member)? Please don't feel you have to answer if you don't feel comfortable to. 

Staff-Account.png