Jump to content

Help


Bi the way
 Share

Go to solution Solved by Monsoon,

Recommended Posts

So I just came out to my mother today and it was much better than I thought. We had an hour long discussion on the same but she feels that what I am going through is a phase, I am too young to be really sure and we don't have the “queer gene” in our family. While I do appreciate that she listened to me, I really wish she could understand my point of view better and would understand that this isn't just a phase.

What could I do to make her more comfortable and accepting of the idea? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
15 hours ago, Bi the way said:

So I just came out to my mother today and it was much better than I thought. We had an hour long discussion on the same but she feels that what I am going through is a phase, I am too young to be really sure and we don't have the “queer gene” in our family. While I do appreciate that she listened to me, I really wish she could understand my point of view better and would understand that this isn't just a phase.

What could I do to make her more comfortable and accepting of the idea? 

Hey @Bi the way

Congratulations on coming out! I know Ember has already said it, but time and patience are key here. This kind of news is big for parents, and it can take time for them to really process it and accept that their child knows their identity. I've supported many people in your kind of situation before, and once they've had some time to process, they usually recognise that their child is being serious and that this isn't a phase. What do you think? How are you feeling about it all?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey @Bi the way

Congratulations on coming out! I know Ember has already said it, but time and patience are key here. This kind of news is big for parents, and it can take time for them to really process it and accept that their child knows their identity. I've supported many people in your kind of situation before, and once they've had some time to process, they usually recognise that their child is being serious and that this isn't a phase. What do you think? How are you feeling about it all?

@MonsoonThank you so much!  I do feel happier now and my mom's reaction was better than I thought. I guess she does need her time to think about it so hopefully she’ll be more accepting with time.

6 hours ago, kqfellasfan said:

congratz @Bi the way that's so coool! definityely just keep being yourself and eventually it will get better im sure!

@kqfellasfanThanks a lot :)

Edited by Bi the way
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey @Bi the way

Yeah, definitely, time is key in this kind of situation. Would you like support for anything else from us right now? We are here if you need anything. 

@Monsoon The solution to this might also be the same but my mom just told me to think about guys instead (I told her I like girls) and I should be fine. I know time is the key but it can get a bit difficult to deal with at times. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Yeah, I totally get why that's difficult; it completely invalidates your identity. I'm wondering, when she said that, how did you respond? 

I told her that this isn't how things work and it isn't possible to change who I like but she just said that it's normal to experience this as a teenager but it doesn't mean you're Bisexual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor

Hey there,

Yeah, that really shows to me that she thinks this is just a phase which I imagine is really frustrating for you. How are you feeling? I'm wondering, do you think there's anything else you can do at this point to help the situation? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Yeah, that really shows to me that she thinks this is just a phase which I imagine is really frustrating for you. How are you feeling? I'm wondering, do you think there's anything else you can do at this point to help the situation? 

Hey
I am actually quite confused. Initially I thought that she would start supporting me but I feel really helpless these days. My family is religious and today she even asked me to pray to God that I become straight soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor

Hey there,

Ah, that must have been tough for you to hear. How did it make you feel when she said that? I know it might not seem like it now, but many parents do change their minds, and it just takes time and patience, and there isn't much else that can be done at this point other than waiting it out. Do you think she'll come round eventually?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Ah, that must have been tough for you to hear. How did it make you feel when she said that? I know it might not seem like it now, but many parents do change their minds, and it just takes time and patience, and there isn't much else that can be done at this point other than waiting it out. Do you think she'll come round eventually?

Hey

I just really wished that she could accept me as I am and would actually listen to me and not just hear me out.

It will take a lot of time but I think she might be more accepting in some years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
  • Solution

Hey there,

Yeah, I totally feel that for you. We all have a strong desire to be accepted, and when we aren't, it can be really upsetting. I think that despite all of this, it's so important to still show her how happy you are by living your truth, and hopefully, by doing that, she will appreciate and accept your identity more and more. This may take quite a while, but trust me, it does get better for a lot of people. What do you think you're going to do next? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Yeah, I totally feel that for you. We all have a strong desire to be accepted, and when we aren't, it can be really upsetting. I think that despite all of this, it's so important to still show her how happy you are by living your truth, and hopefully, by doing that, she will appreciate and accept your identity more and more. This may take quite a while, but trust me, it does get better for a lot of people. What do you think you're going to do next? 

Thanks a lot :)

I think I’ll just be myself and if she raises a similar “concern”  I’ll try to politely  state that It took me a while too but I accept who I am and I am happy and I’ll also try to educate her more about the community.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor

Hey there,

Yeah, exactly, education is so key here, as is living your truth and showing those people how happy you are by doing that; they are the best recipes for success here. How are you feeling about it all now?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Yeah, exactly, education is so key here, as is living your truth and showing those people how happy you are by doing that; they are the best recipes for success here. How are you feeling about it all now?

I am feeling much better. I sort of came out to the whole grade so I feel much more comfortable about myself.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
2 hours ago, Bi the way said:

I am feeling much better. I sort of came out to the whole grade so I feel much more comfortable about myself.

Hey,

That's amazing; well done! How did it go? Did you plan to do it, or did it just happen?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

That's amazing; well done! How did it go? Did you plan to do it, or did it just happen?

We had this prose/poetry assignment for our English class and my piece was about how it felt being closeted and being raised in a homophobic society and everyone connected the dots and  got to know .  Many people in my grade are homophobic but I mostly received support so I am content.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
14 hours ago, Bi the way said:

We had this prose/poetry assignment for our English class and my piece was about how it felt being closeted and being raised in a homophobic society and everyone connected the dots and  got to know .  Many people in my grade are homophobic but I mostly received support so I am content.

Hey there,

That's a great coming out story, and I'm glad you mostly received support :)

Has it given you a confidence boost about coming about?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

That's a great coming out story, and I'm glad you mostly received support :)

Has it given you a confidence boost about coming about?

Thanks:)

I am still a bit hesitant (considering my mom's reaction) but I do feel much more confident.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor

Hey,

That's great to hear, and trust me, coming out does get easier. In my case, I was able to eventually stop caring what other people thought of my sexuality, because that's for them to deal with, not me, and it's really freeing to think that way. It can take a while to get to that point, but the more you do it, the more confident you become; what do you think? Also, how are you doing today?

  • Pride 1

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

That's great to hear, and trust me, coming out does get easier. In my case, I was able to eventually stop caring what other people thought of my sexuality, because that's for them to deal with, not me, and it's really freeing to think that way. It can take a while to get to that point, but the more you do it, the more confident you become; what do you think? Also, how are you doing today?

Thanks this is really helpful :)

I am doing fine. I do feel more happy and myself  as I am coming out to more and more people (just a bit concerned about my parents) but it feels good knowing that there are people who accept me for who I am.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
23 hours ago, Bi the way said:

Thanks this is really helpful :)

I am doing fine. I do feel more happy and myself  as I am coming out to more and more people (just a bit concerned about my parents) but it feels good knowing that there are people who accept me for who I am.

Hey there,

Yeah, definitely. Being accepted is such a great feeling, and just remember, even if someone doesn't accept you, that's their problem, and nothing to do with you. Your identity is what makes you special and unique, and that should be celebrated. What do you think? :) 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Sirken
      Hello.
      im Kenneth. I've sorta just come here as a last resort, I guess. I'm not sure.
      I live with my mom. My dad left and my mom won't let me see him- I'm closeted trans and gay and I'm horrified to tell my mom. She's homophobic, transphobic- she's a bad person and she's put me through enough. She has serious anger issues and hurts me over the smallest things.
      I want to be happy. I want to be in an accepting, good family. I want to feel and look how I want to- It makes it worse that if I do anything slightly masculine she goes off the deep end. Did I mention she's hardcore fake Christian? 
      so yeah. I don't know what to do and have decided to come to this place for help. Thanks! 
       
      -Ken
    • By isxyromavro
      My name is Jason. I'm a 17yo trans man, still in school. I present male online and around my friends (who I am out to), obviously dressing like a typical guy on a daily basis. I'd say I probably pass for the most part as long as you don't look at my face, but that's kind of besides the point. I'm neither out to my school nor to my parents, and I wanted to fix that.
      The thing with my parents is that they're kind of transphobic. I can't really say how transphobic, but they've definitely made comments like "This person is a man—but that's what they want you to think" or "These boys' parents force them to be women" etc. Not to mention they're extremely enbyphobic (though that doesn't exactly concern me personally as I am a binary man—it's still wrong, obviously). Despite all this, I really really want to come out to them and I know how I want to do it (giving them a gender reveal card that says "It's a boy!" before I leave on a school trip, though I'd have to make sure they realize I'm referring to myself so they don't think I'm pregnant or something???), I'm just extremely nervous and I'm not quite sure what exactly I'd want to tell them. I don't even know if it's a good idea, but I'm willing to try. The worst they could do is simply disregard it and reprimand me about it, but I know I probably wouldn't get grounded or anything like that. I really want to start medically transitioning—at the very least get more masculine clothing than the extremely limited amount I have at the moment.
      For school, I just genuinely have no clue how I'd do that. My entire class isn't exactly garbage, but I wouldn't say they're all that supportive of the LGBT community. They're the "I don't really care if you're straight or gay" kind, I feel. I don't really know how the teachers would be with this cause the vast majority of them don't show their own opinions or beliefs (as that isn't allowed for teachers to do where I live). My friend suggested I e-mail our class's main teacher, but I really don't know what I'd write and what I'd want to do after coming out to literally just one teacher. I don't think she really realizes how mortifying the idea of coming out is to me though (she's ace and her own coming out went really smoothly).
      I'm looking for advice, maybe tips and experiences from people who have already come out as non-cis to their parents/school, and just ideas of what to say to either when I do actually come out.
    • By umi
      Hey everyone! I'm new here, don't know how it works, but i'm gonna give it a try.
      Im genderfluid, AFAB (assigned female at birth), and my pronouns change. I want to come out to my cisgender straight boyfriend, who doesn't know much about genders and pronouns, He was supportive when i came out as bisexual, but i'm not sure if he will be okay with this and i don't know how to tell him. My lgbt friend told me to not rush it and take my time, but sometimes i feel more enby or even masculine, and everytime he uses she/her pronouns i feel like trowing up (in my native language, we don't have neutral pronouns and use feminine and masculine for almost every word).
      I don't know what to do, if anyone has  any advice, I'm all ears.
    • By Amory
      I have n idea how to come out to my homophobic grandparents who i live with. any tips?😢
    • By Amy73
      I’m bisexual however I am terrified of coming out to my parents. My parents are old-fashioned but I don’t know if that means they are homophobic, that would make coming out to them even harder. I don’t know how to ask if they support the “community”, I’ve been hoping it would just come out naturally but it hasn’t. I need ideas on both figuring out if they are homophobic and actually coming out to them…
×
×
  • Create New...