Religion Stereotypes (anyone else have this?)

Avyavastha Β  Β 

Is it just me, or when your parents are a religion, everyone else expects you to be that religion?

My parents are both Hindus, and EVERYONE is expecting me to be all over Hinduism, when I’m actually just an atheist who doesn’t give a crap about all that.

Just now, CiaranTheTransGay said:

Is it just me, or when your parents are a religion, everyone else expects you to be that religion?

My parents are both Hindus, and EVERYONE is expecting me to be all over Hinduism, when I’m actually just an atheist who doesn’t give a crap about all that.

Yeah kinda, everyone in my family is a Christian, but i'm agnostic (I don't believe in a specific god, but I think there's a creater on the universe)

• Like 1

Just now, CoconutCultist said:

Yeah kinda, everyone in my family is a Christian, but i'm agnostic (I don't believe in a specific god, but I think there's a creater on the universe)

I’ve actually never heard of that, but it sounds cool! Anyone ever want you to followΒ Christianity because your parents do? It like that with me, because everyone in my family, even my little brother, strongly believes in Hinduism.

I’ve actually never heard of that, but it sounds cool! Anyone ever want you to followΒ Christianity because your parents do? It like that with me, because everyone in my family, even my little brother, strongly believes in Hinduism.

Everyone expects me to follow Christianity because I go to a school where almost everyone is a Christian, not including me and most of my friends

Just now, CoconutCultist said:

Everyone expects me to follow Christianity because I go to a school where almost everyone is a Christian, not including me and most of my friends

Man, that’s tough. My school is pretty diverse, so that’s not much of a problem for me, until I tell someone I’m an atheist, and their like β€œwtf is that?”. Because of being in a Hindu family, I have to go to wayyyy to many temples, and cultural places too often.

Man, that’s tough. My school is pretty diverse, so that’s not much of a problem for me, until I tell someone I’m an atheist, and their like β€œwtf is that?”. Because of being in a Hindu family, I have to go to wayyyy to many temples, and cultural places too often.

Yeah I can relate to that, I've had to go on religious trips and such because my stepdads a heavy Christian. And coconuts forbid someone asks me what religion I believe in, because I then have to answer the 'Where do you think we go when we die' question.

4 minutes ago, CiaranTheTransGay said:

Yeah I can relate to that, I've had to go on religious trips and such because my stepdads a heavy Christian. And coconuts forbid someone asks me what religion I believe in, because I then have to answer the 'Where do you think we go when we bite it' question.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CiaranTheTransGay said:

i understand you so much but for me it christian i don't care about it cause i amd an atheist too.Β 

• Like 1

• Digital Mentor

I think you all have such great points @-Marra-Β @CiaranTheTransGayΒ @CoconutCultistΒ sometimes when you've been born into a family who follows one particular school of thought/religion, it can be challenging to think in any other way or hold space for other belief systems. Kudos to you all for creating this space amongst yourselves and having these discussions, they are so important. I truly hope over time you can have the space to express what you feel and practice whatever adds the most to your life and provides a sense of direction. One thing though, I believe no matter which religion or school of thought anyone follows, being a good, kind human being is the key. What do you all think?

• Thanks 1

Staff-Account.png

11 minutes ago, Luie said:

I think you all have such great points @-Marra-Β @CiaranTheTransGayΒ @CoconutCultistΒ sometimes when you've been born into a family who follows one particular school of thought/religion, it can be challenging to think in any other way or hold space for other belief systems. Kudos to you all for creating this space amongst yourselves and having these discussions, they are so important. I truly hope over time you can have the space to express what you feel and practice whatever adds the most to your life and provides a sense of direction. One thing though, I believe no matter which religion or school of thought anyone follows, being a good, kind human being is the key. What do you all think?

yep i argee with youΒ 

21 minutes ago, Luie said:

I agree

2 hours ago, Luie said:

Yea, I agree as well