"Everyone's Gay Bestie"

MySchoolLesbianZ Β  Β 

At school, I'm known as "the lesbian" or "gay bestie" or something, and I'm well-known for being a lesbian. Most people at my school are cis and straight, but I've struggled to figure out who I am, and coming out has had the side effects of some minor homophobia. Most of the time, it's not a big deal, and people might not even know that they're being homophobic, but some of them do know it.

People try to be supportive, but I feel constantly judged for who I am, and whenever I talk about it to my straight friends, they seem uncomfortable or like they want to change the subject. Meanwhile, they're also the ones bombarding me with questions that I'm not prepared to answer and I don't know what to do about it.

If anyone knows how this feels and has some support for me I would greatly appreciate it. It's hard to be someone in the LGBTQIA+ community.

7 hours ago, MySchoolLesbianZ said:

At school, I'm known as "the lesbian" or "gay bestie" or something, and I'm well-known for being a lesbian. Most people at my school are cis and straight, but I've struggled to figure out who I am, and coming out has had the side effects of some minor homophobia. Most of the time, it's not a big deal, and people might not even know that they're being homophobic, but some of them do know it.

People try to be supportive, but I feel constantly judged for who I am, and whenever I talk about it to my straight friends, they seem uncomfortable or like they want to change the subject. Meanwhile, they're also the ones bombarding me with questions that I'm not prepared to answer and I don't know what to do about it.

If anyone knows how this feels and has some support for me I would greatly appreciate it. It's hard to be someone in the LGBTQIA+ community.

yep. came out to my school that i am gay and that has been my greatest regret in life. im growing up in a biblical area and homosexuality and the lgbtqia+ community in a whole is considered a sin. some people are cool about it and my friends are supportive and keep some other secrets for me. however, i have experinced homophobia because of the people who arent cool about the lgbtqia+ community. it does get very annoying and it is hard being in the lgbtqia+ community.

• 1 month later...
On 11/20/2022 at 2:55 PM, MySchoolLesbianZ said:

I go through this a lot as well, but the best thing I have found is walk away from the situation if their being homophobic, or if the bombard them with questions, fight fire with fire and ask them a bunch of questions about what its like to be straightΒ 

• Digital Mentor
On 11/20/2022 at 8:55 PM, MySchoolLesbianZ said:

Heyy @MySchoolLesbianZ, I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label.Β 

I see that @El the PowerfulΒ and @CoconutCultistΒ have shared their experiencesΒ and a few solutions they use to cope with similar problems they are or have faced in the past. I wanted to follow up with you and see how you have been doing?

Staff-Account.png