Ask Me Anything: Divina de Campo - Drag Race ICON, LGBTQ+ advocate and performer

Divina de Campo ย  ย 

Question

• VIP (Public Figure)

This AMA is now closed. Thank you toย everybodyย who submitted a question and a huge thank you to @Divina de Campo for joining us!

Hi everybody!

I'm so excited to be doing this and to join you in the Ditch the Label community.

I'm Divina de Campo, best known from RuPaul's Drag Race UK Season 1. Generally singing, dancing and laughing a lot while I'm at it. I work mostly in theatre and live stages, though I've been known to dip my toes in from time to time to the old TV world.

If you follow me on social media, you'll know that I'm a big LGBTQ+ advocate and very open about mental health struggles and trying to see the path ahead.

So... ask me anything!

AMA-DDC-1x1.jpg

ย 

• Like 3

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 12:28 PM, Divina de Campo said:

Hi everybody!

I'm so excited to be doing this and to join you in the Ditch the Label community.

I'm Divina de Campo, best known from RuPaul's Drag Race UK Season 1. Generally singing, dancing and laughing a lot while I'm at it. I work mostly in theatre and live stages, though I've been known to dip my toes in from time to time to the old TV world.

If you follow me on social media, you'll know that I'm a big LGBTQ+ advocate and very open about mental health struggles and trying to see the path ahead.

So... ask me anything!

AMA-DDC-1x1.jpg

Leave your questions in advance for Divina, who will be live on Wednesday 4th May between 16:00-17:00 BST/11:00-12:00 Eastern/09:00-10:00 Pacific. You will be notified if Divina answers your question.

Hi everyone, im here and excited to be with you all x

• Like 4

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 12:30 PM, Flash said:

Firstly can I just say that I love you and your energy and really enjoyed watching you on the show. My question: what was it like when you first started drag? and what kind of reaction did you get?

Hey! Whe i started it was very different, limited internet access and same for outfits and accesories. It was also quite different socially, there was much more of a stigma attached to doing drag.

• Like 3

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 12:46 PM, Buga said:

Hi Divina, so glad that you're here. I wanted to ask how have you been able to fight off some of the negative stigma towards drag and what advice do you have for people trying to get into drag?

Its thankfully not so bad these days, more people see it as an art form and so it gets a bit more respect. One of the best ways to beat stigma is to be good, practice, refine and innovate.ย 

• Like 3

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 3:38 PM, Emberfrost12 said:

What is your favorite and least favorite part of drag, and how did you discover drag?

My fave bit of drag is the freedom it offers to create all kinds of different work. I discovered it through uni and then nightclubs really. Just making stuff

• Like 4

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 4:15 PM, ArtemisArt said:

Hi, as you statedย  you stated have worked on TV what is the most difficult part of being a LGBTQ+ actor/LGBTQ+ in public

I think its the idea of you not being able to do stuff, like you couldnt be a believable Gaston, and yet there we have Luke Evans doing just that. Ive been really lucky and been in charge of most of the work ive made which helpsย 

• Like 4

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 12:42 PM, jake said:

Hi Divina XD

What was your coming out experience like?

Rough, some of it was ok but some of it was awful, id always been super camp and extra so it wasnt like it was a shock lol

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 5:33 PM, lKail said:

Ellooo Divina, I wanted to ask if there has ever been hate to you and if so how did you deal with it?

There has at various times in my life. Sometimes ive dealt with it better than at others. An important thing to remember is you can control you and how you reaxt no one else. So of you dont want to be around it make that possible for yourself

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 12:43 PM, lucy d said:

Ive liked guys most of my life but now im starting to look at girls in a different way and i think that im bi but im to scared to admit it out loud even just to my self. what should i do to help me comes to terms with how im feelingย 

Just what you've done already. Remember it isnt actually that big a deal, we are complicated creatures with a huge variety of foibles. Who we fancy is by far some of the least interestingย 

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 5:44 PM, Crazygirl said:

Hi SOOOOOOPO my math teacher says homophobic things in class and my dad thinks I'm saying I'm bi because I want attention or something also I like like my best friend and I don't know what to do. How would you handle all of this? Btw I'm a huge fan.

Write down what your teacher says and take it to your head of year if its making you feel uncomfortable.ย 

ย 

Parents are weird. Dont fret they almost always calm down sooner or later.

ย 

As for liking your best friend that is DANGER! Unless they like you that way shake yourself out of itย 

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 8:53 PM, TOBBEE said:

Can I have tips on coming out to homophobic families? I am ftm and scared of coming out. I want to know how to ask questions and prepare.

Honestly? Take your time. You dont owe them that knowledge and you need to feel safe Nd secure with those people. Coming out isnt a raceย 

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 5/3/2022 at 2:46 PM, bingabong said:

Hiii ^_^

What was your coming out experience like?

Rough but mixed, most of my friends were very cool, the school and my mum were not.ย 

ย 

I was far too visible to hide, i didnt have much choice and the 90's were super homophobic

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
22 hours ago, Masky_The_Great said:

Hello!

I have a question (If you don't wanna answer, It's okay ^^): Say you are still figuring out what you are, But you already came out to your parents when you were younger...What do you do then? Still figure out what you are or stay the way you are?

Lots of people are figuring it out for their whole lives, it can be constant for a long time and then change. What i would say is dont worry about it enjoy it.

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 12:36 PM, Harper said:

We're so excited to have you join us Divina!ย ๐Ÿ˜€

Do you have a career highlight? If so, what was it?

I've got so many things ive done that i loved, different shows, singing for prime ministers, dancing in shows. Currently im in Hedwig and the Angry Inch which is amazingย 

• Like 3

• VIP (Public Figure)
On 4/26/2022 at 10:32 PM, shy_sometimes said:

Hey, I just want to know how you're so pretty like omg ahhhh

Awww shucks thank youย 

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
20 hours ago, Thisboiistrans said:

OMG ITSS DIVINA OMG HI! IM A HUGE FAN OF DRAG!

Thank you so muchย 

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
20 hours ago, Thisboiistrans said:

How did you first get Into drag?

Id done some weird arty stuff at uni and that was my start of my dragย 

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
18 hours ago, Kassy.bi girl said:

Do you get mistreated often

How does your family feel about this

Can I join y'all I've always wanted to be a drag queen

Thankfully not so much these days its veru rare now. My family are super supportive theyve been greatย 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• VIP (Public Figure)
5 hours ago, kqfellasfan said:

what is your favourite music to listen to right now??ย 

loveee

I listen to loads of different stuff MT, Opera, Rock, pop, chart stuff, disco, soul, singer songwriter. It all depends on my mood and what im working onย 

• Like 2

• VIP (Public Figure)
47 minutes ago, Maddiemusicals said:

Hi Divina!

Is there anything you have to do before you go onstage for a performance? Like any mantras you tell yourself ?

I need to wee or i cant concentrate. Then remind yourself everyone wants you to succeedย 

• Like 3

• VIP (Public Figure)
43 minutes ago, Maddiemusicals said:

What's been your favourite thing about doing Hedwig and the Angry inch?

Its been so amazing! Getting to know Eli has been great he is such an interesting thoughtful and kind human. Working with the band and the team and getting to embody the character has been wonderfulย 

• Like 3

• Ditch the Label Staff

Thank you to everybody who submitted questions and an enormous thank you to @Divina de Campoย for taking time out to join us for this incredible AMA!ย Episode 1 GIF by BBC Three

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png