This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Disordered Eating

Ask me Anything: Dr Alex George - TV Doctor, author and Mental Health Ambassador

Dr Alex George    
Harper
Message added by Harper,

This AMA is now over. A huge thank you to @Dr Alex George for joining us and to our friends at @Maybelline New York for making this happen! We hope you've enjoyed this AMA and look forward to hosting more in the new year.

Question

• VIP (Public Figure)

image.thumb.png.27bb0a14cfc3b5354baa67bfa7c29a4c.png

Hey everyone! 😁

I’m Dr Alex George, the Government’s Youth Mental Health Ambassador and a former A&E doctor. I use my platform to raise awareness and give support to those struggling with their mental health. I share my own struggles, lifestyle changes and techniques in the hope that others can relate and feel heard.

Ditch the Label are doing such incredible work to help with a whole range of issues and I’m really looking forward to working with them to answer lots of your questions. Feel free to ask me anything!

Dr Alex George 💙

----

This AMA is in proud partnership with our friends at Maybelline who are working with us to fund crucial mental health support. As part of this partnership, Maybelline are funding mental health support here on the community, along with a school programme and an exciting new metaverse therapy pilot. Find out more about Brave Together here.

Find out more about Dr Alex George here.

• Like 4
  • Yay! 1

V2-2.png

Why is it that when vulnerable people in crisis, get turned away and judged ( being called an attention seeker) just because they are struggling often, ( by a approved mental health doctor etc.) thanks 🥲

hi!! what advice would you give to someone struggling with their mental health because of school i am finding studying so difficult and it's making my mental health bad :( 

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @Dr Alex George Just wanted to say a big welcome to Ditch the Label and that it's so lovely to have you here with us. 😊

My question for you is, do you have any hobbies or helpful activities that help keep you grounded or time of reflection after a stressful day? 

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hi @Dr Alex George, welcome to Ditch the Label 👋 It's great to have you here! 

My question to you is, what would you say to a friend struggling with their mental health? It can be really tricky to know what to say sometimes! 🤔

Staff-Account.png

2 hours ago, flowergirl said:

hi!! what advice would you give to someone struggling with their mental health because of school i am finding studying so difficult and it's making my mental health bad :( 

Hey @flowergirl, I can see you're new, so I just want to welcome you to the community and tag the digital mentors in to help you (@Digital Mentor)

• Like 2

• Digital Mentor

Hi @Dr Alex George

Welcome to Ditch the Label - thank you for being here with us.

My question for you is, do you have any tips on how we can look after our mental health more while using social media? 

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor
18 hours ago, Emberfrost12 said:

Hey @flowergirl, I can see you're new, so I just want to welcome you to the community and tag the digital mentors in to help you (@Digital Mentor)

Hi @Emberfrost12, thank you for looking our for our new members. Much appreciate! 

@flowergirl welcome to Ditch the Label 😀. It's so lovely to have you here. I will send you a dm to check in with you and see if you would like any additional support. 

Staff-Account.png

Hi Alex! I'm hoping to one day become a doctor but I struggle with absorbing the pain of others and feeling it. How did you navigate that? What advice do you have on creating boundaries and is it even possible? 

Hi @Dr Alex George

I just wanted to say that you are doing a good job about mental health and I also follow you on Instagram. I also have a mental health instagram as well.

i also have a question to ask you. I also have mental health issues. I also read your book at the nearby library and I also have therapy but I don't know if I am strong enough anymore and I feel like you can help me because I feel like people like you can make a difference to people. 

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hi @Dr Alex George thank you so much for taking the time to join us!

My question is: how can adults (parents, teachers, relatives, doctors etc) make it easier for young people to ask for help if they're struggling with their mental health?

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor

Heyy @Dr Alex George, Luie here, one of the support mentors with DTL. Glad to have you for the AMA this evening! 

My question is are there particular challenges or considerations when it comes to mental health in specific demographics, such as young adults, the elderly, or certain cultural groups? 

Following from it, How can we promote mental health awareness in diverse communities?

Staff-Account.png

• Ditch the Label Staff
4 minutes ago, Dr Alex George said:

Yes definitely! I get nervous often. A few weeks ago I met the Prince and Princess of Wales, and hosted a panel with HRH for World Mental Health Day. I was very nervous. I also still get nervous before exams (I am studying a masters in mental health right now). Being nervous means you care, and it's our minds way of sharpening our focus when we are doing something important. 

That being said, it is important we learn to control our nerves and harness them. There are a few tricks to help.

1. Before the event, whatever it may be, project and imagine how that day/moment will unfold, imagine everything going well, just as I did thinking about the interview with HRH. This helps create a positive mindset around what you are facing. Stand in front of a mirror and say, I got this!

2. On the day, avoid caffeine, you dont need extra adrenaline. Eat foods that give you energy though, you need to fuel your mind.

3. Use breath-work immediately before, if you can. I always do this before anything I feel nervous about. Guided breathing on YouTube is a helpful way of learning. Search 'box breathing'. By controlling your breathing we slow our heart rate and our minds.

4. Be excited! Right before, tell yourself you are feeling this way because you are excited and can't wait. It's a psychological hack to reframe the mind. 

Good luck!

Some great advice here - lots of power in the breath! Here's a box breathing exercise you can try:

• Like 2

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor
19 hours ago, dipsi333 said:

@Dr Alex George my parents don't believe that anxiety is real and think i'm just trying to get attention when i'm feeling low.  I find this upsetting and end up arguing with them about it - is there anything I can do?

Heyy @dipsi333, I have messaged you on CS, here for you 😀

• Like 2

Staff-Account.png