Amory    

Hey

I have been facing a similar problem. My parents are homophobic and we live in a society where privacy is not a thing.

Though I haven’t come out to my parents yet, my suggestion would be to educate them more about the LGBTQIA+ community before coming out. Maybe watching an LGBTQIA+ film together or some documentary or exposing them to resources or other information about it would make them more comfortable with the topic. Ultimately if they don’t seem pleased about it, it’s important to acknowledge their concerns and confusion.
Moreover it’s important for you to be proud of you are no matter what happens! Just take some time and I am sure it will be fine.

all the best:)

12 hours ago, Bi the way said:

Hey

I have been facing a similar problem. My parents are homophobic and we live in a society where privacy is not a thing.

Though I haven’t come out to my parents yet, my suggestion would be to educate them more about the LGBTQIA+ community before coming out. Maybe watching an LGBTQIA+ film together or some documentary or exposing them to resources or other information about it would make them more comfortable with the topic. Ultimately if they don’t seem pleased about it, it’s important to acknowledge their concerns and confusion.
Moreover it’s important for you to be proud of you are no matter what happens! Just take some time and I am sure it will be fine.

all the best:)

Hey - this is great advice, so thank you for sharing 🙂 

• Thanks 1

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

13 hours ago, Amory said:

I have n idea how to come out to my homophobic grandparents who i live with. any tips?😢

Hello @Amory

Welcome to our community. I'm one of the digital mentors here which basically means that I give support to our members. With coming out, can I ask, do you feel ready? It's totally okay to wait if you don't feel ready. Also, do you think they will have a negative reaction? If so, it might be better to wait and try to educate them over time as @Bi the way said. Let me know what you think. Speak soon. 

Most of my friends know about my sexuality and they're all okay with it. I don't think I'm ready to come out to my parents yet, but how do I tell if they're homophobic or not?

15 hours ago, proudperson72 said:

Most of my friends know about my sexuality and they're all okay with it. I don't think I'm ready to come out to my parents yet, but how do I tell if they're homophobic or not?

Hey,

Thanks for asking us about this. It's totally fine that you aren't ready to come out yet. I'm wondering, have they said anything in the past about LGTBQ+ that has made you think they might be homophobic? I guess one way could be to watch an LGBTQ+ film or show, like RuPaul or Love, Simon to see how they react. What do you think? Just remember, although some parents are homophobic at first, this often changes once their child comes out. Because they love their child so much, it helps them to look at sexuality in a different way, and it does get better for most people. Speak soon 🙂 

• Like 1