Is it just me or is TikTok toxic and just generally bad?

DanTheMan    

Just seems that whenever I open TikTok I'm sucked in and before I know it, it's like 3 hours have just vanished and I end up coming away feeling really low. Like the comment sections seem to be so toxic, I've seen so many people get death threats and literally the worst kinds of abuse. Just makes me wonder if it's actually good for me to be on there or not? I did post a video once and it ended up on the fyp and I started to get a bit of abuse so I just deleted it straight away.

Like I do find some of the content funny but it just gets spoiled by toxic people. Am I the only one that thinks this?

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Thanks 1

I relate to this so much because I follow a lot of LGBT people on their and I just see them get soooooo much bullying. some of the comments are literally disgusting too, death threats etc. it ruins it for me 🤮

its weird bc a lot of the abuse comes from old people??? saw 1 guy get so much stick from old people about wearing makeup, wtf? who even cares, go back to facebook

• Yaaas 1

3 hours ago, DanTheMan said:

Just seems that whenever I open TikTok I'm sucked in and before I know it, it's like 3 hours have just vanished and I end up coming away feeling really low. Like the comment sections seem to be so toxic, I've seen so many people get death threats and literally the worst kinds of abuse. Just makes me wonder if it's actually good for me to be on there or not? I did post a video once and it ended up on the fyp and I started to get a bit of abuse so I just deleted it straight away.

Like I do find some of the content funny but it just gets spoiled by toxic people. Am I the only one that thinks this?

Heyy,

Thanks for sharing this with us. Yeah, social media apps are designed to keep us engaged for hours on end, and most of the time, we only go on them thinking that we will check really quickly. Totally normal to end up spending ages on there. It's good that you're questioning whether it's good for you or not. What do you think? Do you think it makes you happier and adds to your life? 

• Like 1

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

23 hours ago, DanTheMan said:

hey, dan! i also feel this way, I see a lot of really toxic things on there. Although some content are fun and entertaining, some trends there have started to become unhealthy. Those that go about body images, weight, beauty, those really make people feel bad about themselves. And there're also a lot who are racist, homophobic, and toxic to religious people. It's mostly seen on the comments section,  and I really hate it too. Why can't they just leave these people alone? They're just trying to express themselves and be happy. Some people use TikTok as an escape from whatever issues they have in real life. You know, like they say, if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

• Yaaas 2

tbh i think its mixed with tiktok... there's good and bad but its like that everywhere. i do think tiktok is more toxic than other social networks tho

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dewberry and stars said:

hey, dan! i also feel this way, I see a lot of really toxic things on there. Although some content are fun and entertaining, some trends there have started to become unhealthy. Those that go about body images, weight, beauty, those really make people feel bad about themselves. And there're also a lot who are racist, homophobic, and toxic to religious people. It's mostly seen on the comments section,  and I really hate it too. Why can't they just leave these people alone? They're just trying to express themselves and be happy. Some people use TikTok as an escape from whatever issues they have in real life. You know, like they say, if you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all.

yeah i agree actually. didn't they have a thing ages ago in the news where they got caught not featuring people on the fyp if they weren't like super attractive?

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, bingabong said:

yeah i agree actually. didn't they have a thing ages ago in the news where they got caught not featuring people on the fyp if they weren't like super attractive?

it's actually a code on the app's algorithim. so if you've noticed, the one thing that famous tiktokers have in common is the way their face fits in with the standard beauty that the tiktok coders have put onto the programs. so, i'm not saying that it's impossible for people who don't fit in that to become as famous, only that it'll be much harder, siply because of their physical appearance. this is one thing i don't like about the app. people should be recognized by their talents, not just their faces, (charli is a good dancer, bella is a good singer) but some are kinda just, copycats, like they're just like the others  and only differ in appearance.

• Shocked 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2021 at 4:25 PM, dewberry and stars said:

it's actually a code on the app's algorithim. so if you've noticed, the one thing that famous tiktokers have in common is the way their face fits in with the standard beauty that the tiktok coders have put onto the programs. so, i'm not saying that it's impossible for people who don't fit in that to become as famous, only that it'll be much harder, siply because of their physical appearance. this is one thing i don't like about the app. people should be recognized by their talents, not just their faces, (charli is a good dancer, bella is a good singer) but some are kinda just, copycats, like they're just like the others  and only differ in appearance.

Omfg that’s so true actually

A *lot* of it is toxic, but you know you've got to try to kind of steer clear. I think there's always a bad part. Sometimes I do have to get off cause of it, but there are really caring and funny people too I guess.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scarychip said:

A *lot* of it is toxic, but you know you've got to try to kind of steer clear. I think there's always a bad part. Sometimes I do have to get off cause of it, but there are really caring and funny people too I guess.

Agree with you. It's also addictive af and a lot of the content is so funny, it actually helped me a lot during lockdown and being stuck in my bedroom all the time but it is so addictive

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
22 minutes ago, jake said:

I feel like tiktok is a little less toxic now, no?

I think different maybe that's just me. I'll tell you why I think this. I do post videos but only to amuse myself especially when I'm in hospital and I'm bored. But I get called 'fat' 'ugly' 'that I should go d!e' and these two different guys one on live and one on my video said that I'm a fat cow, the other said I'm a anorexic slut. So I don't think tiktok is as friendly as it used to be! But that's just my opinion! ( plus, I am not liking the comments about me being called fat, I wish I had more fat on me but hey my eating disorder sucks ) 

• 2 weeks later...

It's crazy, I've noticed that quite a few of these toxic people are teenagers. Yes there are adults and elderly people that are just as toxic, but most of the time it's comments from teens that get swarmed with support from other teens with similar toxic mindsets. There is no room for discussion because no one wants to listen, they want to get their point across, but be funny enough to gain likes. If you do try to debate you will get memed, and have a million buzzwords thrown at you. You're toxic, you're a hater, stay mad, etc. It's so annoying because you know these people are choosing to not put any thought into their responses, they probably don't even read the replies. This is what happens when you give people (who haven't realized they aren't the center of the universe yet) a platform to speak on, they think they are always right and that's all that matters. They need to win the argument, and they need to make it a mic drop moment. 

Edited by KionKoko
spelling error