This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Suicide

Suicidal thoughts

Tuulipodjo09    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Suicide

Click this notice to reveal the content.

Hi.

I don't really know how to use this platform but I really need your help. How do I help a suicidal friend?  We are not in the same town, and they have really been facing a lot of challenges. How can I give them my support and be there for them?

• Digital Mentor

16 minutes ago, Tuulipodjo09 said:

Hi.

I don't really know how to use this platform but I really need your help. How do I help a suicidal friend?  We are not in the same town, and they have really been facing a lot of challenges. How can I give them my support and be there for them?

Hi @Tuulipodjo09, Welcome to the Community. I'm Aurora and I'm one of the support mentors here at Ditch the Label. I give support and advice to those who reach out to us. I'm so glad that you have found us.

It's great that you want to be there for your friend and support them. And you're already helping your friend by telling us what is going on. My advice would be to make sure that your friend has the support they need at the moment. You said that you are not in the same town as them, so it's really important that someone, who is close to your friend, knows what is going on so they can make sure that your friend is safe. Does your friend live with anyone and do they know what is going on?  Also, do you know your friend's family and is there someone within the family, who you could contact so they can support them? Has your friend  been getting any support either through their doctor or a therapist? Sorry for all the questions.... I just want to make sure they get the right support. 

I don't know what your friend has been saying but if they have told you that they are feeling like this in confidence, please don't worry about breaking that confidentiality. I know that can feel like a really difficult thing to do but the most important thing is that your friend is safe and that they are getting the support that they need. If you feel it would help, you might want to tell your friend that you will be letting others know what's going on. 

In the meantime, here is some useful information that you could share with your friend. I'm not sure what country you are in, so I will give you different contact information. 

(UK) The Samaritans - 116 123 (This is a 24/7 service)

(USA) NSPL - 1-800-273-8255 (This is a 24/7 service)

A list of worldwide crisis lines can be found here: https://www.befrienders.org

There’s an app I can recommend called Stay Alive - it has safety plans to make sure you don’t harm yourself, which your friend might find helpful.

If you feel that your friend is in danger or at immediate risk of harm, please call the police immediately! 

This must be really tough on you, too. Please know that we are here for you! 

Staff-Account.png

10 hours ago, Tuulipodjo09 said:

Hi.

Hey, I think the best thing that you can do is let them know that you're going to be their friend no matter what happens, and don't be afraid to break the trust to tell someone what's happening. I promise, that while it may seem that it will break your friendship forever, it won't, and in the end, it will heal again. It can be hard to do, but all you can do is try.

• Like 1