I am afraid of life, not of death

Sweddle

It is simply overwhelming for me. I've been sincerely the top of my class from first grade up to my last year in high school. Only then did I realize that I had spent all these years studying just to seek pleasure out of science, where in fact science has nothing to offer. My first love rejected me 5 years ago, another girl I liked was just out of my league and now I am about to drop out of Medical School because there is nothing ahead of me. I don't care about money, beauty, glory, sex, success and that's the problem. My family is being torn apart by my passiveness, they only know to push me into doing things and that just makes it worse for me. I live in isolation now, all my friends are either in school or employed, while I stay locked in home with my family members. Sometimes I just wish I would drop dead somewhere, I don't care about anything any more.

• Digital Mentor

Hey @Sweddle thank you so much for sharing how you are feeling. You matter to us and I'm sure so many others - can I ask, do you have a plan to take your life? Try and remember that feelings can and do change and there is help available. If things get too much please do use the crisis resources below:

Please do let us know so we know you are safe and we can start to support you through this.

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• Digital Mentor

Hello @Sweddle

I'm sorry to hear you feel awful, but also glad to learn that you aren't that interested in suicide. From your first post, it kind of sounds like things have been building up for a while and that now it's all at the surface. How does it feel opening up about this? I hope you're feeling a little bit better today. I'm wondering, what do you think is the best thing for you right now? What do you need to really help get yourself back on the right track? 

It makes me feel weak to open up, but I thought to give it a try. For now, I believe the best thing for me is to try to find out what's making me feel this bad.

• Digital Mentor

Hey,

I completely get the whole weak feeling, but honestly, it's such a sign of strength to open up. I can imagine that this is really hard for you to talk about, but even just sharing with someone else can help you feel like a weight has been lifted. Also yeah, I'm wondering, do you have any ideas as to why you might be feeling this way? 

I think it's because I feel like I have wasted my high school years and now I am too late to enjoy my youth.

A few months after the first high school year began, I fell in love for the first time and it was just the strongest emotion I have ever felt. I soon found out that the girl I was into was already with someone else. That hit me really bad, I became delusional and tried to be as close to her as possible. I tried to be present in every event she took part in, with the vague hope of getting some feedback from her. I was obsessed with her, I didn't care about studying any more. I cried a lot and hurt myself in different ways to relieve my inner pain. Second school year began and she realized that I was still trying to win her love, so she made it clear that she didn't care about me. My obsession ceased immediately, I was filled with determination to surpass her in every academical aspect. I took part in many events and studied extremely hard, there's was nothing I couldn't do. I received a lot of praise from teachers, but still it felt like it wasn't enough for me. Later that year, I had a crush on one of my classmates, I gazed at her repeatedly, but I never told her anything about the way I felt, I was convinced she already had a crush on somebody else and even if she didn't she would never pick a bookworm like me.

Third school year began, my first love graduated before me and I never saw her again in person. That year things became messy, I studied but eventually grew tired of it, I was aching to tell my crush what I felt for her, however I never did. After my graduation, I went into Medical School, but I had to take an hour trip two times a day and my grades suffered from it. Yet, I managed to pass 7 out of 9 exams, this was last year's summer. I realized then, that something was wrong with me, I was feel motivated enough to move on so I asked my family if I could get a one year break, they didn't agree. This year, I haven't even touched the books, I have failed all my classes. My mother held me responsible for my failures, even though I had already told her I wasn't feeling good. Now she has partially realized that something's wrong with me, she doesn't push me that much but still demands that I resume my studies once summer is over. I asked her if I could get a job just to take my mind off school, but she didn't allow me.

I can't do this anymore, if I don't study my family looks at me like some sort of parasite, I am that disgusted by books that I cannot even read those that once brought me pleasure. Now, nothing gives me pleasure. I feel like my family has imprisoned me, they seem not to understand that I am dead inside.

• Digital Mentor

Hello @Sweddle

Thank you for telling me more about your life and how that links to what you're feeling now. I can see how difficult things have been for you. To love someone and not be able to be with them is heartbreaking. We can feel so lost during something like this, and I really do hope that you have been able to move forward. How are you feeling about it all?

To be honest, from what you've said, it sounds like you really need a break. I know that you said you feel like you're too late to enjoy your youth, but I'm sure there will be things you can do to feel that enjoyment. I can see that you'd like to take a one year break, but I'm wondering, instead, could you maybe take a smaller one just to get away for a bit, like a term perhaps? 

That's what I am currently doing, the problem is that I started this short break around April, but my next school term begins in October. We are basically in August now and I don't feel ready to move forward. Every time I start reading or engage in something, I immediately start questioning the importance of what I am doing.

"Why am I reading fiction? It won't help me become a medic or a responsible adult"

"Why do they have to make things so complicated in this driver's guide? Do I really need to waste an hour of my day just to memorize a few road signs?"

"Why do I bother working out when I have low social skills?"

What's worse is that just when something starts looking good(a well shot photo, a drawing or clay sculpture I make) I mess it up along the way and this frustrates me so much that I quit whatever I am doing. Every single mistake makes me feel like a total disgrace. I am 20, I am supposed to be skillful enough to live by myself, but I am failing at such simple tasks.  Occasionally, I actually do something right, but it feels like people around me don't appreciate it enough.

Flipping through pages of my school books, I can't help but remind myself that I need 5 more years to get my degree and it just disgusts me when I picture my future self as a young adult that has buried himself in books for years and has no life experience at all. I can't stand the idea of becoming a total wuss just for the sake of my education. I believe this is the reason why I think about my high school years and regret not being a normal adolescent during that time. I compare myself to my friends and notice how childish and naive I am for my age. My parents don't seem to understand this, as if they firmly believed that getting a degree is enough to be confident in your life. I really see the years I am living in as the last chance to get to know the real world and actually learn to act as an adult, but my family keeps preventing me from doing so and I can't help feeling as their puppet.

• Digital Mentor

Hey @Sweddle

I'm wondering, why do you think you're questioning the importance of what you're doing when you're just doing day-to-day things like reading fiction? It kind of sounds like you're putting a lot of pressure on yourself to put 110% into things, and it's totally normal to feel like everything you do has to be related to further your career or education, but it's also good to just do things that you enjoy for the fun of it, rather than them having to have some benefit for your future. It sounds like you complete a task, or start it, and then become frustrated by all of the things you don't like, or small mistakes. I'm wondering, could it be better to try to change your perspective a little? For example, when you make a small mistake, like in drawing, could you pick out three things you like instead of focusing on the one thing you don't? 

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply Monsoon. This month I have been overwhelmed by my feelings, which I believe have remained unchanged. However, I want to share with you what I've done so far.

First off, I have had the idea of writing something fictional. Something that resembles an encyclopedia of an imaginary universe, filled with detailed descriptions of its life forms and civilizations. To accompany the descriptions, I actually sketched some beautiful images of the animals the universe features. I actually grew fond of this project and started to enjoy it, since I couldn't wait to see the reaction other people would have when they read about all these made up creatures so well described. One of them is the sweddle, thus the origin of my username.

However something got in the way, three weeks ago I came across a malnourished stray puppy hanging along a sidewalk. It looked hopeless, its snout had lost its fur from a disease and one of its hind legs had been paralyzed from the knee down so the puppy would drag the leg and scratch its paw so much that its skin had worn off. I felt very bad, so I got the puppy some milk and stayed with it for I don't know how long. It got dark and I decided to host the puppy in my home until it would regain its health.

Ever since I have been caring for her in the hope that I will find someone else willing to adopt her. We as a family, fed her, treated her skin disease and got a vet to amputate her paralyzed leg. She is fine now, but she is getting attached to me and I start worrying about our separation, from this worrying I seem to have spiraled back to my depression. It won't be long before school begins, my grandmother knows this and keeps repeating me that I cannot keep the dog(as if I didn't know that) and study at the same time. She says this almost on a regular basis and I feel like I am going mad from the frustration. Today we were chatting and there she goes with the same subject, I was so angry I wanted flip the table over and yell at her, but I restrained myself and that made me feel worse. My dad has become over attached to me, he keeps treating me like a child(he even wants to clean my glasses for me when I don't need it) and if I disagree he throws a tantrum and walks away, as if it was all my fault. I am surrounded by all these responsibilities: the dog needs attention, grandma wants the dog gone, dad wants to be right about anything, school begins in one month and most of all, I need to take care of myself.

Things have leaped backwards for me, depression is back and now I am dull, nothing can make me feel better. What do you think I should do?

• Digital Mentor

Hey @Sweddle

It's nice to hear from you. I'm sorry to hear that you have been struggling this month and that your feelings haven't changed. I think you did such a wonderful thing by taking the dog in and nursing them back to good health. I wonder, is there a way of keeping the dog at all? Maybe your family could help to look after it, like your dad? I think that from what you've said, it sounds like you need some time away from your family if that's possible. It seems like you're all annoying each other, and when this happens, it can be good to just have a bit of a break. What do you think? Is there anyone else you could stay with for a few days perhaps?

Also, i'm thinking, now that the dog is better, could you maybe get back into your encyclopaedia project? It sounds like it was really helping you to distract yourself and feel better, so now the dog is better, it might be a good time to get back into it. What do you reckon? Speak soon and take care. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Ada
      May 1st, 2021-November 26, 2021

Hey mom I'm doing a digital note because I forgot to bring a notebook. I wanted to write about this to your for a while but I never got a chance to. But recently I've just been really bothered by like my boys and weight and stuff and I don't know why or where it came from. I'm constantly checking my weight like several times a day and checking my bmi and looking stuff up to see if I'm like overweight or fat or not right or eating to much and ice just been really self conscious and I feel like I weigh a lot more than a lot of people and I know I'm tall but I feel like I weigh more than I should even for my age and height. I just can't get this stuff off my mind and I don't want to keep thinking about it because it comes to my mind whenever I'm eating something I like or anything at all or even just doing random things. It's just always on my mind no matter what. And I don't want to tell people because I feel like it's embarrassing but I just need to get this off my chest because it's just weighing down on me. I just don't really know what to do and if I do need to do something or if I'm ok or something I don't know. I know you've heard me say this a million times but I just want to be skinny. I want to have the body that so many girls at school have. They eat whatever and barely ever work out or exercise and yet they're all perfectly thin. Every day I wonder why I can't be skinny and pretty like all the other girls. I have so many other things to deal with and I wish I could just get this off my plate and deal with the other things. Maybe if I just eat better and work out a lot I'll be skinnier. Maybe if I had hair I would be pretty. At this point it's not even really about how pretty I am or whatever because I can't change that and I don't care anymore, but it's about my body because I can change that so I'm frustrated that I'm not doing enough to make it change. I know things take time but I'm scared that I'll being doing certain stuff and that stuff isn't the right things I should be doing so I'm just wasting time doing pointless things because I think that it's just taking time. I want to be able to wear all these clothes that people wear, but i don't even look good in them. When I look in the mirror I either say I look fine or bad. When I think my body looks fine even when it doesn't, I eat a bunch of crap just because I think that because I look fine I can do that, and if I think I look bad I just go cry and I hate myself and overthink everything and tell myself everything I hate about myself in a way it is like I'm punishing myself because I don't like my body. I want to look at myself in the mirror and just be like hey your body looks nice. In all honesty for once it's really not about what other people think because I really don't care about that anymore. It's about what I think. I want to be confident in myself and I want to change for me because I'm tired of this stuff taking over every second of my life that I could be spending doing something better. I don't want to be at my rehearsals just thinking about how someone else would be better as sharpay because they are skinnier. I spend time thinking about ridiculous stuff like how I probably won't look good in the out fits and that my waist it too wide and I'm not skinny enough or I hope this dress or shirt in the show won't be too tight because then that's all I will think about. I can't enjoy myself when I'm not even comfortable in my own skin, and I want to be. I don't want to stay the same, I want to change. I want to love my body, but not the one I have right now. I was feeling really good about myself and my body earlier but I just looked at my body again right now and now I'm just on my couch crying. I just want to be skinny. I want it so bad and people tell me I'm just a kid and I don't need to worry but that doesn't make me stop worrying. All these girls at my school eat whatever and never even work out or exercise that much and yet they are skinny and thin. Why don't I get that. I'm working so hard but I keep looking in the mirror or camera or any piece of glass I see and all my progress just comes crashing down. If I look in the mirror and like what I see I make the dumb choice of telling myself that it means I get to eat a bunch of crap because I look good enough and if I don't like what I see I get into the mind set of wanting to starve myself and I just get depressed. I hate myself. I wish my face wasn't so wide, my eyes were bigger, my nose was skinny and small, my chin wasn't so Invisible, I was skinny, I had straight white teeth, I had long pretty hair, nice eyebrows, more freckles, a smaller waist. I want to cry and I hate myself. I wish I was pretty. I wish I could just die and come back as the same person except prettier. Every day I wonder why I can't be skinny and pretty like everyone else. My nose is to big, my face is to round, my eyebrows are weird, I'm too tall not and not skinny enough. And I also have been loosing my hair which doesn't help the situation.  I have so many other  things to deal with and I wish I could just get this off .y plate and deal with the other things. Maybe if I just eat better and work out a lot I'll be skinnier. Maybe if I had hair I would be pretty. And I scroll through social media and I try to be positive but how is everyone pretty? EVERYONE. and I'm not just saying like oh I'm ugly, I am 99.9% sure that I am genuinely unattractive which is the worst thing ever because I just want people to like me. I just want the clothes that people wear to look good on me. I want to just be a normal teen without having to deal with my hair loss too. People tell me I'm pretty but it's just pity. I can tell when people are lying. Even my own mom said "well you have some attractive features" and that's all. I just need help because I can't do this anymore and I don't have someone I can say all of this to. I do t know what to do 
      I'm just so tired of this. I don't care how my face looks I just want a different body. I have rehearsals for my musical soon and I just wish I could be skinny because I can never enjoy anything anymore because I would worry if the costume would look good enough on my and I won't take pictures and I just want to be skinny so so so so bad.Sometimes I just want to starve .myself and then for once be told that I need to gain weight instead of loose it and the fact that I have that thought is just sick. Then I could gain back the weight I need and be perfect. And maybe confident. I just want to be confident and not care. I don't want to be ignorant but I want to loose weight u til I'm thin but still healthy and just be confident and live my life. I keep taking pictures of myself and drawing lines of how I want to beI'm just altering myself to show myself how horrible I am so that way maybe I'll have motivation and tell myself that I am ugly and fat.

• By Haart
      Hello. My name is Haart, and I find myself in a difficult situation and in need of some advice.
      I met my girlfriend online last January, and we have been a couple since June. We live in the opposite sides of the World, and is therefore in a long distance relationship. 
      In September, I managed to visit her for a week, and we both had an amazing time, but shortly after I returned home, my girlfriend entered a deep state of depression. 
      She has a history of mental issues, especially major depression and genetical(?) anxiety, and she has tried to take her own life on a couple of occasions in the past. 
      My girlfriend has tried to explain that since she was in such a "high" of happiness for the week I visited, she fell hard and is now in a "dip". 
      A lot has been going on in her life recently, with internet problems reducing our contact, being forced to move, as well as physical illness.
      Lately, the sudden change in our relationship as well as stress from the university has really taken a toll on me. Whenever I think about her, I start missing her immensely, and I've been crying almost every day for the last three weeks,  missing the connection we used to have.
      Since she's in this "dip", my own self image is crumbling. I can't stop thinking that I'm doing something wrong, and I blame myself for us not being in this amazing relationship we had before I visited her. 
      I understand that my girlfriend is going through a though time, and I really want to know how to handle the situation with her depression. Is there anything I can do to help her? How can I show her that I care and love her even when she's in this state? In general; how should I act, how should I treat her, what can I do? 
      At the same time, I can't ignore my own feelings. How can I balance being the supporting boyfriend while also not breaking completely? I've told her how I feel, but don't want to bother her with my struggles when she's going through this. She says that she wants me to talk about it, but when I tell her my worries and anxieties, she keeps blaming herself, and when I express that I feel like a horrible person, she mirrors my emotions and starts dragging herself through the dirt. 
      What can I do? I feel like the situation is so mentally challenging, and crying every day and feeling like I've failed and that I'm not enough is tearing at me. 
      I've booked a new trip to visit her in December, and I will be staying there for a month. I'm worried about what happens if she's still in the "dip" while I'm there. 
      Does anyone have any good advice  on how to handle this?
      I'm really sorry that this is all a lot at once. I just don't know what to do, and I need help. 
    • By Charlotte115
      I don't really know why but I've been feeling alone and depressed lately.  It's not like I'm alone alone but it feels like I am (idk if that makes any sense or not) I talk to people all the time but I don't really want to talk to them if you know what I mean.  I have anxiety and a bit of depression but I feel like my depression is getting worse.  My "friends" always talk about their problems and I help them by giving them advice but they don't know how much i wish they just didn't talk about their metal health or relationship problems.  
      Recently I've been talking to this person but I don't know a lot about them, I've been getting to know them and they seem really nice.  However, I don't know if I should tell them about my past when I was younger or if I should keep it to myself.  The problem is that I have mental health issues because of what happened to me when I was younger but not a lot of people know that but I want the person to know that about me so they get to know me a little better.

• By Oizys
      Hello!
      I feel like I need to talk to someone who's actually gone through similar stuff. I don't feel like talking to my family, partner, friends or psychiatrist is helping. I feel like I'm falling apart even though I'm doing everything people told me to do that would help. I tried talking to the people in my life, I opened up to my partner I was taking my medication but the medicine just made me feel like a zombie, the people around me just couldn't understand what I was going through and why I wasn't getting better after so much time has passed. I'm not gonna write down my whole lifes story because that would take way too long. Only what's necessary to understand me.
      Been passed between parents my whole life
      Was bullied 
      Suffered from depression, anxiety, panic attacks and insomnia since childhood
      Self-harm stopped for a few years now struggling to stop again
      I've been suicidal half my life (currently in my twenties)
      Started taking xanax and anti-depressants tis year
      Partner with narcissistic personality disorder
      I'm on a self-destructive path and I don't know how to stop. I feel like I'm sinking deeper and deeper into a big black hole and know one knows or wants to pull me out from it. The only time I feel anything and feel free is when I drink and xanax and alcohol isn't a good mixture. A lot of times I have blackouts. I feel like I should be locked up in a mental hospital but everzone around me denise it. I also don't want to dissapoint the people around me. I also don't want people knowing these stuff about me. I just don't know what to do anymore. 
    • By Charlotte115
      I've been self harming for 4 years now and don't know how to cope with it, people say that if you keep silent about how you feel it can be bad on your mental health, well i have kept silent and I feel depressed and i have panic attacks now and again.  Sometimes i feel suicidal too.  I just want someone to help me and give me some good advice on how i can cope with this.