This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Hate

I'm fed up with all the racist, religious and homophobic comments!

Isoflute    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Hate

Click this notice to reveal the content.

I'm fed up with my year being so racist and homophobic and making jokes about religion that really aren't funny at all. And I approach people but they just laugh and say it's our way of banter. And I get that but it's not banter when it's taken that one step too far like they need to learn when to stop.

Thanks for letting me rant!

Edited by Daisie
  • Like 1

Hey there @Isoflute

That is so not okay, i'm so sorry you have to listen to that. You are totally right it's not banter - when we attack people for their religion, their race, or their sexuality is considered hate speech and you are absolutely doing the right thing by disagreeing with it. You need to make sure you keep yourself safe, however, so maybe you could tell a teacher next time someone says something like this?

You should be proud of yourself from standing up for what you believe in.

Remi

​​​​​

• Like 1

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

• 8 months later...

Hey @Isoflute!

I get religious comments a lot, even from my friends in school. It is especially bad when there is a subject in history, that concerns religion. My friends are mostly joking but the comments I get from some of my classmates sometimes cut deep. Usually, I just play them off like they don´t matter. I laugh and say a few comments myself (with me being bi, really weird and almost always in physical pain due to my health I´ve learned to put on a smiling face even when there is nothing for me to smile about) but it does hurt a lot and it´s hard. My dad is a priest in a church and it´s because of that, that I get a lot of comments. It´s not serious or anything but well, sometimes we can´t help what hurts.

All I wanted to say is, you are not the only one that hates those types of comments and you should definitely stand up to what you think is right.

• Like 1

Hey @Isoflute!

I get religious comments a lot, even from my friends in school. It is especially bad when there is a subject in history, that concerns religion. My friends are mostly joking but the comments I get from some of my classmates sometimes cut deep. Usually, I just play them off like they don´t matter. I laugh and say a few comments myself (with me being bi, really weird and almost always in physical pain due to my health I´ve learned to put on a smiling face even when there is nothing for me to smile about) but it does hurt a lot and it´s hard. My dad is a priest in a church and it´s because of that, that I get a lot of comments. It´s not serious or anything but well, sometimes we can´t help what hurts.

All I wanted to say is, you are not the only one that hates those types of comments and you should definitely stand up to what you think is right.

Hi Mammu,

You've offered really good advice to Isoflute, so thank you for that. It sounds like these comments have hurt you. I can't imagine it's very nice to hear such things, especially from your friends. Have you explained to them how the comments make you feel? A lot of people think it's just banter and don't realise the impact of the things they say, so it might be good to just check in with them about this. I'm also wondering if you've spoken to any of your teachers about this, or your parents? I'm sorry to hear that you've been experiencing this. Do know that we are here to support you further if you want it.

- Monsoon :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hi Isoflute,

Thanks for coming to us for support. I am so sorry that there was no reply from a support member of staff to help you. I'm wondering, is this still going on? If so, we are here to help you. This is bullying and no one deserves to go through this. Do let me know how the current situation is and I can figure out how we can best support you.

Keep your chin up, Isoflute.

- Monsoon

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• 1 year later...

Hey, I first want to say that I'm sorry that you had to hear those comments. I always, always see those types of comments on youtube and tiktok and it's never funny for me. I totally agree with you, it's not funny to make jokes about the big parts of a controversial topic like religion, racism, and homophobia. I understand that a lot of people go through religious trauma and deal with it through humor, but I hate that they make inappropriate jokes about Jesus and Mary. They say that it's their way of coping with it, but there are much better and aceeptable ways to do it. And with racism and homophobia, those terms shouldn't even exist. Because not hating on someone for their gender, identity, or race should be common sense. And like with religion, it's totally not ok to joke about these. There are people who say things like "I'm a Christian and I laughed sooo hard at this" or "I'm gay and this sent me flying lmao". It makes me mad because those people are not the embodiment of the whole community, their opinion does not make the inappropriate jokes ok. They are terrible and should never even be uttered. Sorry this turned into a rant, lmao. But I hope you know that you're not the only one who feels this way. :))

• Like 1

• Harper changed the title to I'm fed up with all the racist, religious and homophobic comments!