Sick of bi/homophobic jokes

Celia    

When I came out to my friend as bi, he overreacted in a positive, well-meaning way. It was a bit over the top ("Omg, congratulations, that's so amazing!") but I appreciated how supportive he was and how scared he seemed to say something wrong. So I told him he could just relax and be more chill about it if he wanted to. After that he got a little too chill, like right away, and started making fun of being queer. Like if we watch a movie with a pretty female lead, he'll be like "I bet you wanna f*** her, hahahah". First of ll he never talks about me liking guys, which feels invalidating as I'm not a lesbian. Second, he makes fun of me being a girl who likes girls, although I doubt that's his intention. Also he finds it funny to force me to come out to people, and in the beginning he would often bring up the topic of bisexuality among friends that I wasn't out to and ask if I didn't have anything I wanted to say to them. Anyways, this kind of gets to me and is so annoying.

I had a friend ( HAD, key word), who would also do this. He would make fun of me for being a bisexual Male at lunch, although I couldn't tell if he was just playing or if he intended to hurt me. He would go around telling people about it, because I had not fully come out yet. The best advice I can give is to ignore it for as long as you want, or until it gets out of control, then say to your friend, hey, could you kinda take it down a notch with the joking and forcing me to come out to people. I don't like it. See what he says, then give from there

Hey @Celia

It sounds to me like your friend tried to be really supportive and maybe he didn't mean to offend you with his jokes but was trying to show that he sees you and recognises you. I totally understand why you felt the wat you do - I think there is a lot of bi-erasure and a misunderstanding which I think is the place where a lot of his jokes come from.

Link him to this article and just let him know that you don't like the things he is saying to you are upsetting for you - https://www.ditchthelabel.org/10-things-never-say-bisexual/.

Let us know how this convo goes!

_remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Hi Anthony,

Although ignoring it seems like a good idea at the time, we know that you can't ignore bullying forever - i'm sorry someone made fun of you for being who you are. Did you ever tell anyone? Has he done it again recently?

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.