Sharing of personal information

Harper ย  ย 

• Ditch the Label Staff

Howdy!

I've had quite a few questions about the sharing of social media handles and email addresses lately, so I thought it would be the perfect time to share a post outlining our policy and explaining why we have certain rules in place.

We believe in the power of online safe spaces, and the most important thing for us at Ditch the Label is to keep you and our entire community safe. This is why we have mentors, wardens and Ditch the Label staff constantly reviewing and moderating content. Not only are we here to give you advice and support or to keep you entertained, but ultimately, we're here, as adults to keep you safe.

Real Name and @Handlesย 

Our community is an incredible mix of awesome people gathered together to talk about the things they are most passionate about and to talk about the things they are struggling with the most. We recognise the importance of confidentiality, which is why we have private Confidential Support available outside of the public forums. For many, we know that talking about your challenges and passions in a public forum is okay but we encourage everybody to use a unique username that does not include their real full name or is used on any other platform or social network. This is to keep your posts confidential.

Selfies

We don't allow the sharing of selfies, largely to keep you confidential, but also because we believe that being fairly anonymous makes it easier to open up and talk about some difficult subjects. There are plenty of platforms that allow you to share selfies, but part of the magic in our community is that we do not. We know it's important to express yourself, which is why we allow you to use avatars and cover images on your profile.ย 

Private Messaging

We do not allow user-to-user private messaging simply for the fact that we have no way of moderating these messages to ensure that they comply with our Community Guidelines and also to prevent many issues around bad people using our platform to contact people they shouldn't. You are able to message a mentor or member of staff and vice versa at any time.

Personal Information

Similarly, we don't allow the sharing of personal information, which includes, but isn't limited to: full name, email address, social media handles, phone number, school name, address, or anything else that could be used to identify you or contact you outside of our platform. We don't do this to be annoying, we do this to keep you safe. Whilst there is a lot of good online and positive uses of tech, there are also some pretty bad people out there who aren't always who they claim to be. Some people use online communities and social media with bad intent. We recognise that most, if not all, of our community members are nothing short of amazing, and we'd like to keep it that way which is why we strictly enforce this guideline.ย 

I know that nobody likes rules, but we set these guidelines for a reason. Our job is to keep you safe and to ensure that you get the best possible and most supportive experience from our community.

Feel free to leave any questions below if you're unsure on anything, I'm always here to help!ย 

- Harper ๐Ÿค 

ย 

• Like 2
  • Yaaas 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Nope 1

Staff-Account.png

10 hours ago, Harper said:

Howdy!

I've had quite a few questions about the sharing of social media handles and email addresses lately, so I thought it would be the perfect time to share a post outlining our policy and explaining why we have certain rules in place.

We believe in the power of online safe spaces, and the most important thing for us at Ditch the Label is to keep you and our entire community safe. This is why we have mentors, wardens and Ditch the Label staff constantly reviewing and moderating content. Not only are we here to give you advice and support or to keep you entertained, but ultimately, we're here, as adults to keep you safe.

Real Name and @Handlesย 

Our community is an incredible mix of awesome people gathered together to talk about the things they are most passionate about and to talk about the things they are struggling with the most. We recognise the importance of confidentiality, which is why we have private Confidential Support available outside of the public forums. For many, we know that talking about your challenges and passions in a public forum is okay but we encourage everybody to use a unique username that does not include their real full name or is used on any other platform or social network. This is to keep your posts confidential.

Selfies

We don't allow the sharing of selfies, largely to keep you confidential, but also because we believe that being fairly anonymous makes it easier to open up and talk about some difficult subjects. There are plenty of platforms that allow you to share selfies, but part of the magic in our community is that we do not. We know it's important to express yourself, which is why we allow you to use avatars and cover images on your profile.ย 

Private Messaging

We do not allow user-to-user private messaging simply for the fact that we have no way of moderating these messages to ensure that they comply with our Community Guidelines and also to prevent many issues around bad people using our platform to contact people they shouldn't. You are able to message a mentor or member of staff and vice versa at any time.

Personal Information

Similarly, we don't allow the sharing of personal information, which includes, but isn't limited to: full name, email address, social media handles, phone number, school name, address, or anything else that could be used to identify you or contact you outside of our platform. We don't do this to be annoying, we do this to keep you safe. Whilst there is a lot of good online and positive uses of tech, there are also some pretty bad people out there who aren't always who they claim to be. Some people use online communities and social media with bad intent. We recognise that most, if not all, of our community members are nothing short of amazing, and we'd like to keep it that way which is why we strictly enforce this guideline.ย 

I know that nobody likes rules, but we set these guidelines for a reason. Our job is to keep you safe and to ensure that you get the best possible and most supportive experience from our community.

Feel free to leave any questions below if you're unsure on anything, I'm always here to help!ย 

- Harper ๐Ÿค 

found this very useful Harper thank you for reminding us the rules sure will follow them โค๏ธ

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • Ditch the Label Staff
13 minutes ago, Dewdrop said:

I'm wondering, is it okay to share just your first name?

Thatโ€™s fine :)

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

Hello, you don't have to share information with us, we will support you even without information as this support forum is annoyemous so its up to you! Hope to see you about โคย 

• 2 months later...

I too wholehearted apologize but I just wanted to give people extra support because not many people feel comfortable opening up here infront of others

• 2 months later...

I apologize if I did include any type of....stuff going against la rules. But may I ask my friends on here if they can use a diff app then this?ย 

Like we'd still use this though.ย  :P

• Ditch the Label Staff
1 hour ago, lKail said:

I apologize if I did include any type of....stuff going against la rules. But may I ask my friends on here if they can use a diff app then this?ย 

Like we'd still use this though.ย  :P

We donโ€™t allow sharing of any personal information, this also includes any social media handles, emails and other messaging apps. ๐Ÿ˜Šย 
We do this to ensure yours and other members of this communityโ€™s safety and anonymity.ย 

ย 

ย 

I also have a question. The rules don't say anything directly about this: If someone lived in the same city as me, and we wanted to meet each other in person, could we meet up in a large, public place where a lot of people were, could we do that? I'm just curious, not saying that this is something I'd actually do, seeing as I don't know if anyone else here is in the same city.

• Ditch the Label Staff
9 minutes ago, Emberfrost12 said:

I also have a question. The rules don't say anything directly about this: If someone lived in the same city as me, and we wanted to meet each other in person, could we meet up in a large, public place where a lot of people were, could we do that? I'm just curious, not saying that this is something I'd actually do, seeing as I don't know if anyone else here is in the same city.

Hey @Emberfrost12, hope youโ€™re doing well!

It is really good to ask questions like these, as it can be really helpful. ๐Ÿ˜Š
We would definitely discourage users from our community meeting offline, even if those users were in the same city. What we have to remember is that we donโ€™t really know the people we are talking to online, even if you feel you do. It is good to use communities like this to create โ€œpen palsโ€ in a safe space and environment. Keeping your anonymity can be a really good thing for many reasons.ย 

As I have said earlier today, yours and the rest of the this communityโ€™s safety is our priority, and we will ensure that we fulfil this to the best of our abilities, which is why we have these guidelines in place for everybody to follow, including us staff! We really do understand that this may be really frustrating at times, but itโ€™s important to recognise the difference it makes in having such an amazing and understanding community.

Does this help? If you have any other questions, please let me know! ๐Ÿ˜Š

ย 

ย 

ย 

Just now, Daisie said:

Hey @Emberfrost12, hope youโ€™re doing well!

It is really good to ask questions like these, as it can be really helpful. ๐Ÿ˜Š
We would definitely discourage users from our community meeting offline, even if those users were in the same city. What we have to remember is that we donโ€™t really know the people we are talking to online, even if you feel you do. It is good to use communities like this to create โ€œpen palsโ€ in a safe space and environment. Keeping your anonymity can be a really good thing for many reasons.ย 

As I have said earlier today, yours and the rest of the this communityโ€™s safety is our priority, and we will ensure that we fulfil this to the best of our abilities, which is why we have these guidelines in place for everybody to follow, including us staff! We really do understand that this may be really frustrating at times, but itโ€™s important to recognise the difference it makes in having such an amazing and understanding community.

Does this help? If you have any other questions, please let me know! ๐Ÿ˜Š

ย 

Yeah, that helps. Thanks for clarifying :)

• Like 1

Yeah same hereย  :3

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2021 at 5:59 PM, Harper said:

Howdy!

Real Name and @Handlesย 

Selfies

Private Messaging

Personal Information

- Harper ๐Ÿค 

So cannot put the actual face on profile photo?

• Ditch the Label Staff
33 minutes ago, Emmanuel Ang said:

So cannot put the actual face on profile photo?

Hey @Emmanuel Angย Welcome to the community. ๐Ÿ˜Š

We do not allow members to use their actual face, real full names such as first and surname or anything that else that can identify you on the community.

Hope this helps, any further questions please just ask!

ย 

ย 

ย 

4 minutes ago, Daisie said:

Hey @Emmanuel Angย Welcome to the community. ๐Ÿ˜Š

We do not allow members to use their actual face, real full names such as first and surname or anything that else that can identify you on the community.

Hope this helps, any further questions please just ask!

Oh ok sure thanksย 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I allegedly 'shared personal information' with the profile picture I had, but it wasn't a picture of me, it was a picture of a YouTuber. There should be some way to appeal it. I mean, I can prove just by showing the guy's YouTube account. He's verified, so it's not like I could just pretend that he wasn't me when he really was. I'm not actually mad, just trying to suggest something. Thanksย ๐Ÿค

~ dami

6 hours ago, gothamite said:

I allegedly 'shared personal information' with the profile picture I had, but it wasn't a picture of me, it was a picture of a YouTuber. There should be some way to appeal it. I mean, I can prove just by showing the guy's YouTube account. He's verified, so it's not like I could just pretend that he wasn't me when he really was. I'm not actually mad, just trying to suggest something. Thanksย ๐Ÿค

~ dami

lol

i guess dm mods or smth?

• Like 1

• Ditch the Label Staff
17 hours ago, gothamite said:

~ dami

Hi Dami,

As we have many moderators, itโ€™s likely that any photo of a person will be removed at some point. We need to moderate quickly and itโ€™s impossible for the team to know who a photo is of and so we advise against it.ย 
ย 

- Harper :)ย 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

9 minutes ago, Harper said:

Hi Dami,

As we have many moderators, itโ€™s likely that any photo of a person will be removed at some point. We need to moderate quickly and itโ€™s impossible for the team to know who a photo is of and so we advise against it.ย 
ย 

- Harper :)ย 

Can I talk to you privately please? If thatโ€™s ok

does this apply to fictional characters too? i mean, if i were (for example, hypothetically) to put a pfp of aziraphale (the TV omens version, so a real life human being), would i get reprimanded for putting a pfp of aย fictional character portrayed by someone irl??????

im rlly hoping the answer is no because what if i find a tv show i like with actors in it or i go back into my good omens phase?

Edited by A User
edit: omg 180 posts! like the angle! omg satisfying number!!!!!!!
  • Like 1