Braces

Dywwik    

14 hours ago, Dywwik said:

I will be going through surgery and braces very soon. I hope my self esteem and image will improve! 

Hey there. Ah, yeah, that would be good if they improve your self esteem and image. On a scale of 1-10, how confident are you that this will improve your self esteem and image? Lets say that 1 = not confident at all, 5 = a little bit confident, and 10 = very confident. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

49 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there. Ah, yeah, that would be good if they improve your self esteem and image. On a scale of 1-10, how confident are you that this will improve your self esteem and image? Lets say that 1 = not confident at all, 5 = a little bit confident, and 10 = very confident. 

I know they will improve my self-esteem! My teeth are a complex of mine. I'll with like 8 or 9! It's the surgery that I will have to go through that bothers me! A surgery to litterally brake my jaw.  This surgery will be paid by the gouvernement so that's fun! But other than that... Not really! 

Ahh, okay, well it seems like you're pretty certain that it will improve how you feel about yourself. Yikes, it does sound like a tough surgery though. Are you sure you're willing to go through with it? 

4 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Ahh, okay, well it seems like you're pretty certain that it will improve how you feel about yourself. Yikes, it does sound like a tough surgery though. Are you sure you're willing to go through with it? 

The surgery is apperently less bad then the removal of wisdom teeth... It will help remove an overbite that I have. I already said yes to the surgery. It will most likely be next year! 

Ahh, okay, that's good to hear. I'm sure it will improve your self-esteem :)

How are you feeling about things atm?

7 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Ahh, okay, that's good to hear. I'm sure it will improve your self-esteem :)

How are you feeling about things atm?

I'm actually happy to be doing this as an adult because it will be a less long process, so less expensive. (24 month process) I have an appointment in two weeks. I'll see then where I'll be mentally, but yet I'm somewhat psyched about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2021 at 5:52 AM, Monsoon said:

Ahh, that's good. Let us know how the appointment goes - this is exciting for you! :)

So I had the appointment Friday, and I'm super happy that the orthodontist is humain in her interactions! This is very reassuring. I noticed this and it's now a new criterion for my future doctors. 

Hey,

That's really good to hear. It makes such a difference when a health professional is a people person. How are you doing?

On 6/22/2021 at 2:48 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey,

That's really good to hear. It makes such a difference when a health professional is a people person. How are you doing?

Welp, I'm sad that I can't start right away, but I will be starting soon enough! I need to get my cavities fixed first before starting the treatment. I think I will be able to start before next year hopefully

Hey,

Ah, yeah - I get why you'd be sad about not being able to start straight away, but as they say, good things come to those who wait :)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I have an update on my braces endeavor! I will soon have an appointment with the orthodontist to actually create a plan for my teeth in October! I will also have surgery to remove my wisdom teeth! I demanded to be fully sedated to go through that and I will be! 

I also went to school in a long time in person and I realised that when I drink out of my water bottle, I hide my teeth involuntary! Hopefully the braces will fix that "bad" reflex! 

Hey @Dywwik

Welcome back 🙂

The appointment will some come around; how are you feeling about it all? Have they shown you a mock up picture of how your teeth will look in the end? 

50 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey @Dywwik

Welcome back 🙂

The appointment will some come around; how are you feeling about it all? Have they shown you a mock up picture of how your teeth will look in the end? 

They did show me on my first appointment an approximation of what it would look like! They went out of the room so I took a picture. I like that even after the treatment, it won't be perfect! I still could reconize my teeth! 

I keep having dreams about me having braces and I think I'm really looking forward to it!

22 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey @Dywwik

Ah, that's great. Do you like the end result then? Also, how long will you have them for? 

It will be a big change, I'm not in the "will it look better" state of mind yet, I'm in the "I want to stop my teeth from chipping because I can't eat well" state of mind. 

The orthodontist said it would take up to two years of treatment with conventional braces, which is less long then I thought, and also about 4000$ less than what I was expecting! 

Hey @Dywwik

I think that's a really good way of looking at it. By focusing on the actual physical side of it and how it will help you to eat well, it helps us to focus more on the great things that our body does for us, rather than our actual appearance. It's kind of like going to the gym; many people become focused on how their body looks which can be quite frustrating, but when people think more about how going to the gym improves their physical health, it can be a more fulfilling experience. What do you think? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2021 at 6:31 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey @Dywwik

I think that's a really good way of looking at it. By focusing on the actual physical side of it and how it will help you to eat well, it helps us to focus more on the great things that our body does for us, rather than our actual appearance. It's kind of like going to the gym; many people become focused on how their body looks which can be quite frustrating, but when people think more about how going to the gym improves their physical health, it can be a more fulfilling experience. What do you think? 

I had to convince myself that the surgery and treatment are not only for aesthetic reasons. 

I've been having many cavities filled for my braces treatment to start and it's been complicated. I have a tooth that doesn't respond to the anesthesia. So I partially had my tooth drilled while feeling some of it. After 5 anesthesia on the tooth, the dentist managed to finish the job! 

Also I react badly to the anesthesia and I swell. Currently can't talk right. 

Braces and the surgery is now daunting but I think of these bad experiences as practice for what's coming! 

braces can dsuck, and a lot of people get them, (i will be getting them in a couple months) but when i was younger i always wanted braces bcuz i thought they looked cute . You are beautiful no matter what!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bisexualweeb said:

braces can dsuck, and a lot of people get them, (i will be getting them in a couple months) but when i was younger i always wanted braces bcuz i thought they looked cute . You are beautiful no matter what!!

I'm in my early twenties and I took my cousin who also started in her mid twenties a treatment for her teeth. 

I hope you'll like your braces as much as you once thought you would! :3 

On 9/23/2021 at 9:47 AM, Dywwik said:

I had to convince myself that the surgery and treatment are not only for aesthetic reasons. 

I've been having many cavities filled for my braces treatment to start and it's been complicated. I have a tooth that doesn't respond to the anesthesia. So I partially had my tooth drilled while feeling some of it. After 5 anesthesia on the tooth, the dentist managed to finish the job! 

Also I react badly to the anesthesia and I swell. Currently can't talk right. 

Braces and the surgery is now daunting but I think of these bad experiences as practice for what's coming! 

Hey,

Yeah, I think that was really wise to focus on the other benefits of the surgery. I think that if we seek a 'better appearance', then when we get to where we want to be, we end up wanting more, so by focusing on other parts, like improvement to physical health, we can develop a much healthier relationship with our appearance and body 🙂

Sorry to hear that you reacted badly to the anaesthesia; how is it today? Also, when will you get the braces and surgery? 

On 9/24/2021 at 4:55 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey,

Yeah, I think that was really wise to focus on the other benefits of the surgery. I think that if we seek a 'better appearance', then when we get to where we want to be, we end up wanting more, so by focusing on other parts, like improvement to physical health, we can develop a much healthier relationship with our appearance and body 🙂

Sorry to hear that you reacted badly to the anaesthesia; how is it today? Also, when will you get the braces and surgery? 

The swelling is partially gone, and getting better. 

I should have a first operation to remove a few teeth. Then I'll have the braces, it should be in a minimum of 3 weeks for all that. 

And a year and a half after I have my braces is when I'll have my jaw surgery. Everything seems daunting but it must happen and it's all for the best! 

Hey there,

I'm glad to hear that the swelling is going down 🙂 

How is everything else going for you at the moment? Are you all good?