Pronouns

Elise Β  Β 
Go to solution Solved by Harper,

• Ditch the Label Staff
  • Solution

Hey Elise,

Good question! Generally a pronoun is how somebody prefers to be referred. The most common are:

• He/Him usually for male identifying people
  • She/Her usually for female identifying people
  • They/Them usually for non-binary+ identifying people

Some people choose to have multiple pronouns. For example, some drag queen performers use all pronouns. Some non-binary folk prefer to use they/them, but may also be fine with he/him for example. It just depends on the individual and how they prefer to identify. It is always important to respect however people choose to identify and having conversations about pronouns can be really supportive in cases where somebody has started a gender transition for example.Β 

Does that answer your question? :)

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

Hey elise! Pronouns are a way for people to address you. Usually, although not always, females go by she / her, males go by he / him, and non - binary people go with they / them. Of course, people who identify as female or male can still usewhatever pronouns they want. It kind of gives you a sense of identity (this is how I feel about it) because it helps you affirm what gender you identify as. For example, I have a non - binary friend called Amy, and she prefers to be referred with they / them pronouns. I also have another friend, Mark, who prefers they / them but is fine with he / him. In conclusion, the pronouns that people use to address you depend on how you want to be addressed. If you tell them that you'd like to be referred with she / her, then they will. If you'd like they / them, then they will. I hope this helps! ^^

• Yaaas 2

• Ditch the Label Staff
4 minutes ago, dewberry and stars said:

Hey elise! Pronouns are a way for people to address you. Usually, although not always, females go by she / her, males go by he / him, and non - binary people go with they / them. Of course, people who identify as female or male can still usewhatever pronouns they want. It kind of gives you a sense of identity (this is how I feel about it) because it helps you affirm what gender you identify as. For example, I have a non - binary friend called Amy, and she prefers to be referred with they / them pronouns. I also have another friend, Mark, who prefers they / them but is fine with he / him. In conclusion, the pronouns that people use to address you depend on how you want to be addressed. If you tell them that you'd like to be referred with she / her, then they will. If you'd like they / them, then they will. I hope this helps! ^^

This is such a fantastic way of putting it, thank you! We've just added an ability to add your preferred pronouns to your profile and posts. Here's more information!Β πŸ₯°

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

• 4 weeks later...

I was about to explain this but I now see it's already been done perfectly twice!

But you can identify any way you choose and feel comfortable with and no one has the right or power to change that. If anyone judges you just know that you are who you are, you are the perfect version of you and no one has the right to try and 'make you better' or whatever their reason is to complain and If they do dare to say anything they need to live in a hole.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Um sorry, I know this is very late, but cisgender people (people who identify with their birth gender) can also use pronouns that aren’t just she/her or he/him, and there are other pronouns called neopronouns which include ones like mine, ae/aer. If you want to learn more about neos and how to use them, try this website called pronouny. Should help.