Jump to content

Take a look at what we've been up to for Mental Health Awareness Week!


Florrie    

Recommended Posts

  • Ditch the Label Staff

 

 

Hey everyone! It’s Florrie. 👋

For Mental Health Awareness Week, over on Ditch the Label’s social media we’ve been talking about something that affects over 300 million of us around the world: anxiety.

To shed some light on the topic we spoke to Bushra, a Trainee Psychological well-being practitioner with the NHS, who shared her insights on anxiety's signs and helpful strategies for managing it. 🌟

✨ What would you suggest to help manage anxiety? 

😌 Do you have any tips you’d like to share with the Community?

👉 Let us know below! 

  • Like 3
  • Yaaas 2

Staff-Account.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Florrie changed the title to Take a look at what we've been up to for Mental Health Awareness Week!
2 hours ago, Florrie said:

Hey everyone! It’s Florrie. 👋

For Mental Health Awareness Week, over on Ditch the Label’s social media we’ve been talking about something that affects over 300 million of us around the world: anxiety.

To shed some light on the topic we spoke to Bushra, a Trainee Psychological well-being practitioner with the NHS, who shared her insights on anxiety's signs and helpful strategies for managing it. 🌟

✨ What would you suggest to help manage anxiety? 

😌 Do you have any tips you’d like to share with the Community?

👉 Let us know below! 

My advice would be to focus on what is real now, and try to not think about the what-ifs too much. And also, if you're anxious about something that you've worried you've done, keep in mind that you're probably thinking about it more than anyone else.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor

 

11 minutes ago, Emberfrost12 said:

My advice would be to focus on what is real now, and try to not think about the what-ifs too much. And also, if you're anxious about something that you've worried you've done, keep in mind that you're probably thinking about it more than anyone else.

A great point @Emberfrost12,  these feelings of anxiety are always completely valid, but it can help to remember that we are often more aware, and more critical, of ourselves than others are towards us. This reminds me of one of my favourite pieces of social psychology research:

Researchers once asked student participants to walk through a packed college lecture hall wearing a t-shirt emblazoned with a big picture of a cheesy pop star from back in the day, Barry Manilow (apologies to any BM fans). Participants who wore the t-shirt reported reported feeling very embarrassed and estimated that the vast majority of other students noticed them and found it amusing. When in fact, they then asked the student audience and almost nobody even noticed. They were all busy attending to their own things.

Anyway, I always found this to be a really good demonstration of the point you made: we often focus on ourselves more than others. I find this to be a useful and calming reminder when I'm being too self-critical.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Aurora
This post was recognized by Aurora!

"This is really helpful - so many great tips. Thank you!"

Megs- was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 20 points.

As someone who suffers with anxiety and multiple other mental illnesses, I thought I’d share with everyone what I do to calm my anxiety. 
 

I do multiple things regularly as i suffer with anxiety 24/7, when i wake up u, when I go to bed etc. 

I use a fidget toy for when I go into shops or meetings as I have regular anxiety regarding that kind of thing. I know it might not work for everyone but, having something we can focus on then it might make our brains feel relaxed rather than being distracted by the anxiety.

If I am anxious, I tend to do breathing techniques, if im having a anxiety attack, this works wonders as im focusing on my breathing and then it will calm myself down enough to understand what made me feel anxious to cause a attack. Of course, breathing techniques help me but it might not work for you :)!

Anxiety affects my sleep, and I know other young people who suffer with sleep & anxiety too. I tend to listen to podcasts on Amazon prime or rain sounds as I have found those to work and, of course not all occasions but they work well if I focus on those rather than my anxiety. 
 

talking to those that care about you can be beneficial and helpful when dealing with anxiety, of course, some people don’t have that kind person who they can talk to about their anxiety. But, there are resources available for those who might find it more comfortable taking over the phone than in person. ( if you would like helplines I can provide you with some ).

For me, animals help with my anxiety. I tend to cuddle them when I feel highly anxious, and they are very knowledgeable when someone is down etc. of course, not many people have animals but I tend to just cuddle my look like teddy bear dog/cat bear when I can’t sit with an animal. 
 

Looking after your physical health is as important than looking after your mental health. Anxiety can cause issues and making sure your body has the nutrients and vitamins it needs can help massively.  If you aren’t eating enough, it can affect your mood and your ability to think straight which isn’t always the best way to deal with anxiety. So having  a meal or snack and water can help with keeping your mind and body healthy and helping your mental health too. 
 

peer support can be helpful too, especially when you might not know anybody who has anxiety and if you would like to talk to someone with the same diagnosis, it can be helpful knowing you’re not alone and that your feelings matter as much as anybody else. 
 

I hope anyone who has anxiety is doing well, and that you matter greatly! Im here if you need anything! Much love, of course I am not a professional so my advice might not be suitable, but I care about you. Hugs 🤗 xx

 

megs 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
35 minutes ago, Megs- said:

As someone who suffers with anxiety and multiple other mental illnesses, I thought I’d share with everyone what I do to calm my anxiety. 
 

I do multiple things regularly as i suffer with anxiety 24/7, when i wake up u, when I go to bed etc. 

I use a fidget toy for when I go into shops or meetings as I have regular anxiety regarding that kind of thing. I know it might not work for everyone but, having something we can focus on then it might make our brains feel relaxed rather than being distracted by the anxiety.

If I am anxious, I tend to do breathing techniques, if im having a anxiety attack, this works wonders as im focusing on my breathing and then it will calm myself down enough to understand what made me feel anxious to cause a attack. Of course, breathing techniques help me but it might not work for you :)!

Anxiety affects my sleep, and I know other young people who suffer with sleep & anxiety too. I tend to listen to podcasts on Amazon prime or rain sounds as I have found those to work and, of course not all occasions but they work well if I focus on those rather than my anxiety. 
 

talking to those that care about you can be beneficial and helpful when dealing with anxiety, of course, some people don’t have that kind person who they can talk to about their anxiety. But, there are resources available for those who might find it more comfortable taking over the phone than in person. ( if you would like helplines I can provide you with some ).

For me, animals help with my anxiety. I tend to cuddle them when I feel highly anxious, and they are very knowledgeable when someone is down etc. of course, not many people have animals but I tend to just cuddle my look like teddy bear dog/cat bear when I can’t sit with an animal. 
 

Looking after your physical health is as important than looking after your mental health. Anxiety can cause issues and making sure your body has the nutrients and vitamins it needs can help massively.  If you aren’t eating enough, it can affect your mood and your ability to think straight which isn’t always the best way to deal with anxiety. So having  a meal or snack and water can help with keeping your mind and body healthy and helping your mental health too. 
 

peer support can be helpful too, especially when you might not know anybody who has anxiety and if you would like to talk to someone with the same diagnosis, it can be helpful knowing you’re not alone and that your feelings matter as much as anybody else. 
 

I hope anyone who has anxiety is doing well, and that you matter greatly! Im here if you need anything! Much love, of course I am not a professional so my advice might not be suitable, but I care about you. Hugs 🤗 xx

megs 

Thanks @Megs- so much good advice in here. I especially like what you said about breathwork. It can be a very useful technique to incorporate into daily life, whether it's to help reduce anxiety, calm the mind before going to sleep, or just to feel more centred and focused.

How are you doing today?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lennie said:

Thanks @Megs- so much good advice in here. I especially like what you said about breathwork. It can be a very useful technique to incorporate into daily life, whether it's to help reduce anxiety, calm the mind before going to sleep, or just to feel more centred and focused.

How are you doing today?

Hey Lennie! Just thought I’d reply and share my thoughts on ways to get through day to day life living with anxiety!

im great, how are you? 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
3 minutes ago, Megs- said:

Hey Lennie! Just thought I’d reply and share my thoughts on ways to get through day to day life living with anxiety!

im great, how are you? 😊

Thank you for sharing, there's lot of helpful and insightful suggestions here.

As for me, I'm doing well thanks. The sun is shining through my window and making me feel like summer has finally arrived! 😎  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Lennie said:

Thank you for sharing, there's lot of helpful and insightful suggestions here.

As for me, I'm doing well thanks. The sun is shining through my window and making me feel like summer has finally arrived! 😎  

I live on the south coast, and it’s 5pm here and it’s so sunny & warm! The uk is so warm at the moment, but of course, rain is on the way haha! Im so glad you’re ok! Makes me happy 😊 

I appreciate supporting those in need, I know I might not know everything but, I care about everyone at DTL & I’ve wanted to share my thoughts on anxiety but of course, I’ve not had the best time but finally shared! 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
3 minutes ago, Megs- said:

I live on the south coast, and it’s 5pm here and it’s so sunny & warm! The uk is so warm at the moment, but of course, rain is on the way haha! Im so glad you’re ok! Makes me happy 😊 

I appreciate supporting those in need, I know I might not know everything but, I care about everyone at DTL & I’ve wanted to share my thoughts on anxiety but of course, I’ve not had the best time but finally shared! 😊

And we appreciate you sharing your experiences and advice!

Go through tough times is a challenge, but it's encouraging when we feel like we've learnt/grown from the experience. 

I hope you're enjoying the last of the good weather. I didn't know we were forecast rain tomorrow. All the more reason to enjoy it whilst it lasts 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Lennie said:

And we appreciate you sharing your experiences and advice!

Go through tough times is a challenge, but it's encouraging when we feel like we've learnt/grown from the experience. 

I hope you're enjoying the last of the good weather. I didn't know we were forecast rain tomorrow. All the more reason to enjoy it whilst it lasts 🙂

Thunderstorms here! Of course, im learning every day with experience etc! 🫂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stitch is the best! 🦋 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Digital Mentor
18 hours ago, Megs- said:

As someone who suffers with anxiety and multiple other mental illnesses, I thought I’d share with everyone what I do to calm my anxiety. 
 

I do multiple things regularly as i suffer with anxiety 24/7, when i wake up u, when I go to bed etc. 

I use a fidget toy for when I go into shops or meetings as I have regular anxiety regarding that kind of thing. I know it might not work for everyone but, having something we can focus on then it might make our brains feel relaxed rather than being distracted by the anxiety.

If I am anxious, I tend to do breathing techniques, if im having a anxiety attack, this works wonders as im focusing on my breathing and then it will calm myself down enough to understand what made me feel anxious to cause a attack. Of course, breathing techniques help me but it might not work for you :)!

Anxiety affects my sleep, and I know other young people who suffer with sleep & anxiety too. I tend to listen to podcasts on Amazon prime or rain sounds as I have found those to work and, of course not all occasions but they work well if I focus on those rather than my anxiety. 
 

talking to those that care about you can be beneficial and helpful when dealing with anxiety, of course, some people don’t have that kind person who they can talk to about their anxiety. But, there are resources available for those who might find it more comfortable taking over the phone than in person. ( if you would like helplines I can provide you with some ).

For me, animals help with my anxiety. I tend to cuddle them when I feel highly anxious, and they are very knowledgeable when someone is down etc. of course, not many people have animals but I tend to just cuddle my look like teddy bear dog/cat bear when I can’t sit with an animal. 
 

Looking after your physical health is as important than looking after your mental health. Anxiety can cause issues and making sure your body has the nutrients and vitamins it needs can help massively.  If you aren’t eating enough, it can affect your mood and your ability to think straight which isn’t always the best way to deal with anxiety. So having  a meal or snack and water can help with keeping your mind and body healthy and helping your mental health too. 
 

peer support can be helpful too, especially when you might not know anybody who has anxiety and if you would like to talk to someone with the same diagnosis, it can be helpful knowing you’re not alone and that your feelings matter as much as anybody else. 
 

I hope anyone who has anxiety is doing well, and that you matter greatly! Im here if you need anything! Much love, of course I am not a professional so my advice might not be suitable, but I care about you. Hugs 🤗 xx

megs 

Thank you so much for this @Megs- I can tell that a lot of thought has gone into your reply. There are loads of really helpful suggestions here  🥰 . 

I think you're comment about anxiety affecting our sleep is such an important point.  Lack of sleep can have a big impact on our mental wellbeing. We might therefore end up in a vicious cycle, whereby our anxiety is making it difficult for us to sleep and the lack of sleep is making us more anxious, if that makes sense? I really like your suggestion of listening to rain sounds - I haven't tried it myself yet but I can imagine that being very relaxing. Personally, I like to drink a cup of herbal tea before bedtime and read a book as that helps me to unwind and switch off from what's been going on during the day.  

Thank you as well for sharing with everyone, that you have anxiety yourself - I appreciated that it's not always easy to talk about our own mental health 🫂.  I would imagine that this has been helpful for other community members to hear, who have been struggling with anxiety themselves. 

 

  • Like 1

Staff-Account.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...