Hey! I'm Hannah, whereabouts are we all from then?

hancampbell16    

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peach311

• Remi

• Monsoon

• hancampbell16

Haiii, I'm from the UK, England :D Welcome!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

greetings from Colorado, USA!

~ i'm a middle-aged trans woman living through the sound & fury of Trump and his alt-right muppet brigade amidst the roaring debacle they've made of a global pandemic... all while trying to find connection, share experience & evolve as a person. i work in a pharmacy, live alone, have amazing friends that i never see anymore, ~and i'm trying to figure out how to use this time to set goals, explore new directions, 'be productive', ...but some days i just stay in my apartment by myself. I'm recovering from violent abusive religious parenting that left me afraid to ever have children, while managing mental illness & being a reasonably responsible member of my community. i must be doing better than i realized because while the political religious right is working hard to deny me healthcare coverage, & business politicians dismantle environmental projections, etc. i still smile & laugh everyday because my life has never been better! I love my job, the people i work with, my friends, my brother, .... and i really can't complain.

So please keep struggling ahead everyone... in my 20s i was suicidally depressed, queer, unemployed, etc... but facing my own shame and terror and stepping forward into the future (often while convinced that nothing was going to ever help) eventually led me to see myself completely differently: the things i faced, the tears i shed, the courage to open up to people & their surprising compassion helped me grow into someone i never thought i'd be, and has given me more hope than any politician, advertisement, religion, or gym membership ever did. when i was 24 i literally put a loaded gun to my head -- almost 20 years later, 2 college degrees, thousands of hours of therapy/support groups, lots of reading, and (this one is important) almost entirely giving up on social media & "comparison culture" -- i found strength within myself, rather than being dependent on approval like a covid patient in a ventilator.

So... being close to the election, with the future as uncertain now as it's ever been, i know i will survive regardless of the outcome, i will grow, & improve, and find satisfaction more as a result of my own effort and willingness to face the discomfort than by picking the right person to trust, or vote for, or 'believe in', or losing myself in drugs, gaming, or succumbing to visions of doom and apocalypse. (and these are just my own struggles--i'm not demonizing or shaming anyone, those were just big features of the life that I personally found unbearable)

it's odd to see myself writing this but (i'm assuming most of y'all are younger folks) it does get better, sometimes it's because the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change... other times i just had to abandon relationships that gave me no freedom to be anything but what i was 'assigned'. Be as honest with yourself as you can, and acknowledge that even this will have to be revised! You don't have to get everything right all at once. One of my favorite lines from William Blake is "A fool who persists in his folly ...becomes wise." ;) hahaha. And a lot of times things were changing for the better, but i would be the last to notice because i was so habitually focused on past mistakes, and shaming messages i internalized as a child that i just needed to let the dust settle to notice i had unwittingly outgrown parts of my own out-dated self-image. I definitely didn't do nothing, but i always expected for change to be sudden and overwhelming, or miraculous, but looking back it seemed almost entirely inevitable, so long as i found new ways of dealing with old wounds, was open and honest with someone, and most importantly, didn't kill myself. I had to become the ally to myself before i could meaningfully contribute to other peoples' lives. And working my way into a healthcare field, for me, opened up a new world of meaning & community in my life: i don't feel like a burden or a drag on everyone else's lives, and i read some of the same things that went through my head years ago, and i have something to offer that's more than idle speculations, or dejected fatalism ("it is what it is") to offer... <3 love & solidarity to you all. ~emma

p.s sorry for the ramble-post, i haven't posted on anywhere in a while, and i feel like i'm responding to a bunch of articles and posts on this website all at once, in a random place... haha well i hope serendipity bears sweet fruit.

Hey [uSER=22315]Emma~N~Progress[/uSER]

Thanks for sharing your story with us - it's so heartwarming and insightful. This is the kind of thing that people who are struggling need to hear. It's so philosophical and deep and I hope it really gets other people thinking about how they might be able to help themselves out of their own troubles. I really love how you commented on being focused on past mistakes and by letting the dust settle, you noticed how you had outgrown parts of your own outdated self image. I also really love the idea of being an ally to yourself. It's so important to celebrate who we are and stick up for ourselves no matter what, so I might have to steal the 'ally to yourself' quote :)

Thanks again for this!

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• 2 months later...

I know this is a bit late, okay like 4 years late, but Hi Hannah. I'm Caitlin. I'm new to Dich the Label. I'm from Australia :)