How do I come out to my family as trans

loverboy Β  Β 

My grandfather is transphobic so I have no intention of coming out to him but I've already come out to my grandmother. She thinks i'm just a tomboy and says not to label myself. I live with my grandparents. I want my grandmother to understand I am a man, and that I wanna transition or at least cut my hair.Β 

• Pride 1

Hey there,

Thank you for reaching out to us. It’s great that you found the courage to tell your grandmother. That’s not an easy thing to do and you should be proud of yourself. I know the response wasn’t what you wanted, but I think that it can just take some people time to come around to the news. From now though, you can still do things to live more authentically. I’m wondering, what is one small change you could make to present more in the way you desire?Β 

Also, I noticed that you asked for help to come out in another post which I’ve merged into this one, and I’m just wanting to know, who is it you’re thinking about coming out to next? We can help with this for sure.

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

21 hours ago, loverboy said:

myt aunt and cutting my hair would help a lotΒ 

Hey there,

I'm wondering, could you maybe ask your grandmother about cutting your hair and seeing what she says? Also, when you say your aunt could help, can you tell me more about that?Β 

18 hours ago, loverboy said:

shes told me im not allowed to cut my hair also my aunt is very supportive

Hey there,

I'm sorry to hear you aren't allowed to cut your hair. Did she give a reason why? I'm wondering, could you also maybe ask for some new clothes to help you present in a way that is closer to your gender identity if that would be helpful?

2 minutes ago, loverboy said:

ill try and im not allowed to cut it because i have in the pastΒ 

Hey despite it all you're a DUDE

1 hour ago, loverboy said:

ill try and im not allowed to cut it because i have in the pastΒ 

Hey there,

Ah, so you cut your own hair, and that's why? This would be different though, because you want to get it cut, right?Β 

Hey @loverboy,Β 

Sorry if I'm a little late to this, but I am also a trans man who has recently come out to my parents and the majority of my friends/school teachers etc. I got my hair cut a week before coming out and my parents weren't happy about it - at all. I took some money and went down to the barber's opposite my house. I told my mum I was getting a trim (I originally had hair to my shoulders), and ended up getting a cut above my ears. (Little backstory - I have been struggling with my identity for about 4 years now, I am chinese so my culture is pretty much anti LGBT.)

Regardless, remember this - no one can tell you who you are, if you identify as a man - go fo it!! At the end of the day if it makes you happy - Finding happiness in yourself is really important.Β 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 2:27 PM, loverboy said:

yes

Hey,

Okay, I see. Did you ask about clothes yet? That might be your next best option!

not yet my grandparents found out again my grandmoter wont call me by a new name till i get it legally changed i cant cut my hair to short it falls on my shoulders right now thats as short as im allowed to cut it and my grandfather found out the first thing he said is youll never be a boy so kinda going through a depression right now but whatever

19 hours ago, loverboy said:

not yet my grandparents found out again my grandmoter wont call me by a new name till i get it legally changed i cant cut my hair to short it falls on my shoulders right now thats as short as im allowed to cut it and my grandfather found out the first thing he said is youll never be a boy so kinda going through a depression right now but whatever

Hey there,

It sounds like a lot of things have happened all at once, and I can imagine this has all been really stressful for you. How has all of this made you feel? I'm sorry to hear you're going through a depression, but I just want you to know that we are here to help you through this and you are not alone. Take care and speak soon.Β Β