I told my therapist about self harming.

cutebadass    

Yesterday morning i couldnt take it anymore...i told my therapist that i self harm.

At first she asked me a bunch of questions. Then she said that it goes against the contract (she has to tell somone if im hurting myself or someone else) and that she has to talk to my mom and hint to her that my depression is really bad (ny mom doesnt believe me abt it). Then she said that our sessions need to be longer (ours is 30minutes so now its gonna be an hour), and that i also need to go to another one because i hardly talk and she says that ?youre closed off. You dont like to talk to me about your problems'.

Now i actually regret telling her and i dont even know why...

Hey there!

Welcome back to Community :). Just know that we are here to help you through this and you are not alone.

How are you feeling about all of this? I understand how hard it must be to have to talk to people about it.

It is great that you told your therapist about it - many people who self-harm keep it hidden away, so i'm glad that you have opened up about it. I know that you may not feel good about her telling your mum, but with you saying she doesn't believe you about it, maybe this will be a turning point for her? When people have close family/friends who experience mental health challenges, it can sometimes be easy to brush it off as just being a phase. This can be because it's scary to accept the fact that someone you love so much is going through such a hard time.

Although talking about it can be hard, it is the best kind of therapy. I think this might be why you are regretting telling your therapist about the self-harm. By being open about your struggles and simply telling others, this can relieve so much stress in the long run. It is definitely the right thing to do, and by having longer sessions, you are more likely to get better sooner.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, why do you self-harm? There are so many different reasons why, and I might be able to help you more if you'd like to tell me, but there is no pressure.

I hope you find this advice useful. Let me know if you don't and we can figure something else out. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Hang in there! From Monson :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hey!

I'm glad you feel a lot better after talking to your therapist; it is a big key to recovery :).

Is there anything you would like to talk about here? Hope all is well!

-Monsoon :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e