Does anyone feel this way?

Gremlin Β  Β 

I have had had this requiring fear that happeneds in heathclass/$3x Ed. It started in the 2nd grade sence thats when they first introduced it a little bit. I would get really panicky and fearful in class, makeing me go into fight or flight mode. Running out of the classroom and sobbing down the hall or in the bathroom. It hasnt gotten any better sence i have gotten to hights school. If anything it has gotten worse. Idk how or why this happeneds to me everytime. I asked my friends about it and they do get a bit uncomfortable talking about it but not to the point they are haveing a panic attack. My parents said the same thing, it happens over and over again and not matter what I do I keep getting scared terified even.

Does this happened to anyone else?

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @GremlinΒ Hope you’re well! πŸ˜€

I read your post and wondered if you’d like to chat about this with @Blondie/ @Aurora? I’ve tagged them in as you can see and perhaps they can reach out and you can talk things through together.

Ifnyou need anything in the meantime please feel free to give me a shout. 😊

Edited by Daisie

Β 

Β 

• Digital Mentor
14 hours ago, Gremlin said:

I have had had this requiring fear that happeneds in heathclass/$3x Ed. It started in the 2nd grade sence thats when they first introduced it a little bit. I would get really panicky and fearful in class, makeing me go into fight or flight mode. Running out of the classroom and sobbing down the hall or in the bathroom. It hasnt gotten any better sence i have gotten to hights school. If anything it has gotten worse. Idk how or why this happeneds to me everytime. I asked my friends about it and they do get a bit uncomfortable talking about it but not to the point they are haveing a panic attack. My parents said the same thing, it happens over and over again and not matter what I do I keep getting scared terified even.

Does this happened to anyone else?

Hi @Gremlin, I’m Aurora, one of the support mentors that Daisy kindly tagged in her post. I give advice to those who reach out to us. Thank you very much for opening up about how you feel during Health/Sex Education class at school. I’m glad to hear that you’ve also been able to speak to your parents and friends about this. It sounds like something about these classes trigger an anxiety response in you. Do you mind me asking what that might be? Is it a particular topic that makes you feel anxious? Also, have you spoken to the teacher of that class about it? How do they respond when you’re overwhelmed by anxiety?

Staff-Account.png

Hi @Aurora

To give you a bit more context and answer your questions. What triggers me most in health class is the r3pr0d#ct!v3 organs the most. I'm perfectly fine talking about the different systems( bone, muscularly, nervous, etc) As well as different kinds of @dd!action$, d!3tin& and many other's. Idk why I have always been so scared when it comes to anything p#b3rty or anything below the waist. I talked to my teacher about it and he was super understanding about it and gave me side assiments for me to do in the library. While the rest of the class was talking about that stuff. Im really glade that I wasn'tΒ forced to sit and lissen to him talk about it. It was a huge relief for me. Aother part of me tho know that im missing out on other inportant things to knows like the different illnesses and viruses that one can get, with doing the tango in the sheets. Worrying that im not able to be excused from the classes anymore in the future. I wish I could but I just cant because of being so terrified. Honestly, Im getting getting panicky writeing this. Idk whats wrong with me. Why can I just sit through it like everyone else with out makeing a big deal about it.Β 

• Digital Mentor

Thanks so much for explaining this to me. I’m really glad to hear that your teacher seems very understanding. I noticed that you recently asked in a different post, what the difference between body dysphoria and dysmorphia is. I hope you don’t mind me asking, if your fear of learning about puberty and reproductive organs has anything to do with how you see your own body?

Staff-Account.png

I suppose with me not always feeling confident in my own skin on some days can have a little bit to do with it.Β  It its more tho. There something more because i feel the same way with everyone and nor just me. Like the time I used the locker room at are school for the first time. I was scared that everyone would be "changing changeing" in the locker rooms and stareing at me. (Which wasnt the case at all).Β  Mabey whatΒ  gets me soΒ  uncomfortable with r3pr0du#t!ve 0rg@ns/p@r+$ and p#b3rty. Even if i happends to everyone, its also in the same way private and showing all dirograms and photos to me feels like im invadeing that sence of privacy? Im sorry this must sound really dumb and makes no sence at all. Im probably wroding this so wrong. Thats the best way I could but my feeling into words.

• Digital Mentor
On 6/24/2022 at 11:39 PM, Gremlin said:

I suppose with me not always feeling confident in my own skin on some days can have a little bit to do with it.Β  It its more tho. There something more because i feel the same way with everyone and nor just me. Like the time I used the locker room at are school for the first time. I was scared that everyone would be "changing changeing" in the locker rooms and stareing at me. (Which wasnt the case at all).Β  Mabey whatΒ  gets me soΒ  uncomfortable with r3pr0du#t!ve 0rg@ns/p@r+$ and p#b3rty. Even if i happends to everyone, its also in the same way private and showing all dirograms and photos to me feels like im invadeing that sence of privacy? Im sorry this must sound really dumb and makes no sence at all. Im probably wroding this so wrong. Thats the best way I could but my feeling into words.

Not at all! Thank you for being so open and explaining everything to me. I can imagine that it's not easy to open up about this and not easy to explain as it's more of a feeling, rather than a specific fear. Is that right? Β I get what you mean that it feels like it's invading that sense of privacy. I think some people have a strong sense of privacy and others feel more relaxed about their own body and they often find it easier to talk about these things. And it's absolutely fine to assert your privacy. Do you mind me asking if there has ever been a time when your privacy has been invaded? I'm just wondering as this this could be a reason why you are having these strong feelings?

Staff-Account.png

Y-yea its not easy to talk about this with someone, especially sence its one of my biggest triggers. Yes, its mainly emotional based then just one fear that mainly scares me. I know this would all be so much easier to figure out if i just knew what I was so scared of -_-.

Β  As for your question, I honestly can't think of a time anyone touching me in a offensive or inappropriate way.Β  I think and put together possable theories of what could make me so scared. No matter what I think of it doesn't come even close to my fight or flight mode i got that makes me run away when thale topic comes up.

Is this just something that doesnt have an answer for? Like when people are scared of spiders, not because they were biten by one it had a negative interaction. just because they are scared of them??

• Digital Mentor
21 hours ago, Gremlin said:

Y-yea its not easy to talk about this with someone, especially sence its one of my biggest triggers. Yes, its mainly emotional based then just one fear that mainly scares me. I know this would all be so much easier to figure out if i just knew what I was so scared of -_-.

Β  As for your question, I honestly can't think of a time anyone touching me in a offensive or inappropriate way.Β  I think and put together possable theories of what could make me so scared. No matter what I think of it doesn't come even close to my fight or flight mode i got that makes me run away when thale topic comes up.

Is this just something that doesnt have an answer for? Like when people are scared of spiders, not because they were biten by one it had a negative interaction. just because they are scared of them??

I think you are onto something here. Sometimes we have, what you might call, an irrational fearΒ  (as in our response to it will be very extreme even though there is no danger as such) of something and there is no explanation for it. Also, growing up, we can develop strong beliefs about something and this will influence how we react in certain situations. From what you are saying you have a very strong sense of privacy, whichΒ  is a good thing to have. However,Β  it also sounds like this strong sense of privacy might be having an impact on your school life and your wellbeing, I'm wondering whether it is the topic as such or if it's having other's around you when the topic comes up, that makes you feel so anxious? For example, do you think you would be OK to learn about Sex Ed if you did it as a self study assignment?Β 

Staff-Account.png

@Aurora!

I think that your right about me haveing an irrational fear and this fear is a apart of my own personal belief of privacy. The topic its self does scares me the most weather its on a conversation or by myself. But I feel like if i had someone that I trusted and felt safe with i could possibly be able to learn about it one on one. Either with a teacher, or close friend? But even that im still not 100% sure if that would work out well. I really dont want to keep borthing my teaching about it. I dont want him to think I was lieing to him in the first place or comeing off as a hipacrite, because thats not true at all. I want to bed able to not get bothered by it all, or at least not get to the point of being super anxious.

• Like 1

• Digital Mentor
6 hours ago, Gremlin said:

@Aurora!

I think that your right about me haveing an irrational fear and this fear is a apart of my own personal belief of privacy. The topic its self does scares me the most weather its on a conversation or by myself. But I feel like if i had someone that I trusted and felt safe with i could possibly be able to learn about it one on one. Either with a teacher, or close friend? But even that im still not 100% sure if that would work out well. I really dont want to keep borthing my teaching about it. I dont want him to think I was lieing to him in the first place or comeing off as a hipacrite, because thats not true at all. I want to bed able to not get bothered by it all, or at least not get to the point of being super anxious.

I'm so impressed by how insightful you are and how you really want to work on this! I think going through the learning materials with a trusted friend or teacher sounds like a great idea!! Like this you have someone there supporting you but it won't be in front of everyone, which will hopefully make you feel more relaxed. Β I would suggest that you start off really slowly and do it in your own pace. You could start off with a topic that doesn't make you quite as anxious and keep the session very short. Even something like 10 minutes is a good start. How does that sound? If you like I can also share some resources with you, that have some helpful tips on how to calm your body when you are feeling anxious. Would that be helpful?

I can understand your reluctance of not wanting to ask your teacher. It can be difficult to ask for help - I think we all struggle with that. But from what you were saying in your earlier post, your teacher was very understanding and I'm wondering whether they might be keen to help you overcome your fear? What do you think? If not, do you have a friend you trust, who you think would be happy to support you?Β 

Staff-Account.png

Hehe yea πŸ˜…

IΒ  really want to know how I get over this fear or at lest be about to manage it a little better. I would be happy to looks at any resources you have i wouod greatly appreciated it. I actually have a friend or two in mind that can helps me learn the material is missed for health class. They are my closes friend thatsΒ  suoer smart and patient too. I hope that they wont be to weired out for me asking them.

I will definitely be taking your advice with haveing short lessons and starting with a topic that doesnt make me too jittery. I suppose this can be one of my other summer project to work through. Thank you so much for your advice its supper helpful.

• Digital Mentor
21 hours ago, Gremlin said:

Hehe yea πŸ˜…

IΒ  really want to know how I get over this fear or at lest be about to manage it a little better. I would be happy to looks at any resources you have i wouod greatly appreciated it. I actually have a friend or two in mind that can helps me learn the material is missed for health class. They are my closes friend thatsΒ  suoer smart and patient too. I hope that they wont be to weired out for me asking them.

I will definitely be taking your advice with haveing short lessons and starting with a topic that doesnt make me too jittery. I suppose this can be one of my other summer project to work through. Thank you so much for your advice its supper helpful.

I'm glad it's been helpful. We are always here for youΒ πŸ™‚

Great, that you have a couple of friends in mind. Again, I can totally understand that you feel a bit funny about asking them. What helps me in those situations is to imagine how I would feel if a friend asked me for help and how would I respond. I'm guessing that you would be more than happy to help your friends out if they asked you for support so I would imagine it's probably the same the other way round. Especially if they are close friends of yours. What do you think?

Here are some resources on anxiety for you to read (they are on the Ditch the Label Website, so you might have seen them already πŸ™‚). I would start off this one (it explains what happens in our body when we feel anxious)Β https://www.ditchthelabel.org/5-things-your-body-does-when-you-have-anxiety/and then this one has some useful tipsΒ https://www.ditchthelabel.org/7-things-to-say-to-yourself-when-your-anxiety-spikes/. Β I hope they are helpful.

Next time you feel this extreme fear you were describing before, it might be helpful if you take a deep breath and try and notice exactly what you are feeling in your body (eg are you breathless, shaking, is your heart beating really fast etc). By focusing on that it might help you to calm down a bit and it can also be useful so we can think about some techniques that might help you to feel less anxious. How does that sound?Β 

Staff-Account.png