Why do happy moments make me sad?

Joli    

Every time I experience a really heartfelt moment, I always get really sad, like to the point of tears. I don't know why this always happens but it makes it so I can't enjoy certain moments. It might have something to do with the fact that in movies, often when the character experiences a heartfelt moment with someone, that someone dies later on. I always experience grief about people when there's no need for it. What should I do?

15 hours ago, Joli said:

Every time I experience a really heartfelt moment, I always get really sad, like to the point of tears. I don't know why this always happens but it makes it so I can't enjoy certain moments. It might have something to do with the fact that in movies, often when the character experiences a heartfelt moment with someone, that someone dies later on. I always experience grief about people when there's no need for it. What should I do?

Hey there,

Thank you for sharing this. Can I ask, have you always felt this grief for people? Where do you think those feelings come from?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

6 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Thank you for sharing this. Can I ask, have you always felt this grief for people? Where do you think those feelings come from?

Hi, yes, for as long as I can remember this is how I have felt. I have no idea where it comes from or how to remedy it. I mean, I've always felt extra strongly about things, but I don't know why it is irrational like this. 

Hey,

Can you tell me more about the grief you experience, maybe giving me a couple of examples of when you've felt it? 

On 3/10/2022 at 6:43 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey,

Can you tell me more about the grief you experience, maybe giving me a couple of examples of when you've felt it? 

It’s feels like I’m mourning a loss like I am scared and feel like I will lose whatever person I am mourning over and it’s scary and so sad. One time I was having a really hard night and my dad came all the way downstairs to lay with me and help me feel better and when I apologized for making him come all the way down (and it was very late and night too) he said he would climb down a gazillion stairs for me and I started crying. Just things like that, but even when they make less sense, like my dad could just be singing me to sleep one day and I would burst out into tears and get the sickest sad feeling. Like that.

13 hours ago, Joli said:

It’s feels like I’m mourning a loss like I am scared and feel like I will lose whatever person I am mourning over and it’s scary and so sad. One time I was having a really hard night and my dad came all the way downstairs to lay with me and help me feel better and when I apologized for making him come all the way down (and it was very late and night too) he said he would climb down a gazillion stairs for me and I started crying. Just things like that, but even when they make less sense, like my dad could just be singing me to sleep one day and I would burst out into tears and get the sickest sad feeling. Like that.

Hey there,

Thank you for telling me more. I can completely get how scary and sad that feeling must be in the moment. I noticed what you said about how in films you watched, when there's a heartfelt moment, the person then dies at some point later on. Can I ask has something like this happened to you before?

22 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Thank you for telling me more. I can completely get how scary and sad that feeling must be in the moment. I noticed what you said about how in films you watched, when there's a heartfelt moment, the person then dies at some point later on. Can I ask has something like this happened to you before?

Actually, now that I think about it, before I had a dog of my own, my cousins had a dog named Quinn. I was very attached to him because I love animals so much and have a human-like connection with most. I remember we had gone over once and when it was time to leave, I hugged Quinn goodbye and I just remember he was being very sweet and that time and I thought to myself, this might be the last time I see you, and spent and extra long time snuggling with him before I left. Maybe a week later my parents told me that he was put down.

Edited by Joli

5 hours ago, Joli said:

Actually, now that I think about it, before I had a dog of my own, my cousins had a dog named Quinn. I was very attached to him because I love animals so much and have a human-like connection with most. I remember we had gone over once and when it was time to leave, I hugged Quinn goodbye and I just remember he was being very sweet and that time and I thought to myself, this might be the last time I see you, and spent and extra long time snuggling with him before I left. Maybe a week later my parents told me that he was put down.

Hey,

Thank you for sharing that; I'm sorry he was put down. For anyone who has a dog, it can be really tough to lose them, but especially with you having a human-like connection. How do you think that experience has impacted you?

I'm not sure, it definitely hit me hard but I don't know if or how it could be connected to these other things I am feeling. Do you think it could be the cause?

Hey,

Yeah, I think they could possibly be connected. Experiencing a loss when we are younger can be more difficult to process as our understanding of death and ability to deal with emotions are less well developed when we are younger. What do you think about that? I think that everyone reacts to loss in different ways, and it's a part of everyone's life, and it can be really helpful to have a think about where you're at in terms of dealing with a loss and what you think would help you to move forward. 

17 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Yeah, I think they could possibly be connected. Experiencing a loss when we are younger can be more difficult to process as our understanding of death and ability to deal with emotions are less well developed when we are younger. What do you think about that?

I agree! 

Thank you so much for your help! 😊

17 hours ago, Joli said:

I agree! 

Thank you so much for your help! 😊

That's okay. How are you feeling about it all now? 

18 hours ago, Joli said:

Obviously not 100% perfect, but much better.

That's good to hear. Would you like anymore support, or are you good for now?