New kid

Zippy    

7 hours ago, Zippy said:

I start school in a couple days, and I’m new to this country and I don’t know anyone… I’m honestly terrified, I have no idea what to do 🕺🏻

Hey @Zippy

I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice and support to those who reach out to us. Your feelings are totally normal and understandable given the situation you're in. You've had a lot of change which is tricky for anyone, but just know that it will get better and that these things take time. How have you been settling in so far? Where have you moved to? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

Hey @Zippy

I'm one of the digital mentors here and I give advice and support to those who reach out to us. Your feelings are totally normal and understandable given the situation you're in. You've had a lot of change which is tricky for anyone, but just know that it will get better and that these things take time. How have you been settling in so far? Where have you moved to? 

Thank you for responding! I moved to Australia from New Zealand about 2.5 months ago. I’ve settled pretty well to be honest but just a few things not there yet like school. School will probably be the one that will take awhile for me to settle into but hopefully I’ll meet some people so I’m not alone for too long!

I'm glad to hear you're settling pretty well. What are you liking about Australia so far? Also, out of curiosity, have you ever moved schools before? If so, how did it go?

2 hours ago, Monsoon said:

I'm glad to hear you're settling pretty well. What are you liking about Australia so far? Also, out of curiosity, have you ever moved schools before? If so, how did it go?

I love the wildlife in Australia and all the different things that we don’t have back home, like shops etc, food etc. I have never moved schools but it’s always been with the same people I knew  as I grew up in one small town my entire life till I moved here. 

8 hours ago, Zippy said:

I love the wildlife in Australia and all the different things that we don’t have back home, like shops etc, food etc. I have never moved schools but it’s always been with the same people I knew  as I grew up in one small town my entire life till I moved here. 

Yeah, I've been to Australia before and I thought it was amazing! How come your family moved? Also, I'm wondering, what do you think might help you to settle into your new school quicker?

13 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Yeah, I've been to Australia before and I thought it was amazing! How come your family moved? Also, I'm wondering, what do you think might help you to settle into your new school quicker?

We moved for a change lived in the same town our whole lives got a bit boring! I’m not sure, I think once I start getting to know some people might help but just the first few days obviously I’m going to be alone and I hate that. 

Yeah, it will be tricky, and I think that it will take time for you to get into the groove of your new school, as it would for anyone. I'm wondering, would you like some tips for settling in? 

4 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Yeah, it will be tricky, and I think that it will take time for you to get into the groove of your new school, as it would for anyone. I'm wondering, would you like some tips for settling in? 

Yea it will definitely take time. Yes I would love some 

So, there's loads of things you can do to help make sure you settle in and make new connections, but I'd say these are my main points:

• Be confident - keep your head up, make eye contact with people and smile, and start up conversations. If you walk in with confidence, people will warm towards you more which may help you make friends more easily
  • Join in with something, like a team, club or an activity, as this will be a really good way to get to know others 
  • See the positives - a new school is a new opportunity to start over and meet even more people
  • Ask people questions and show interest 

What do you think?

14 hours ago, Monsoon said:

So, there's loads of things you can do to help make sure you settle in and make new connections, but I'd say these are my main points:

• Be confident - keep your head up, make eye contact with people and smile, and start up conversations. If you walk in with confidence, people will warm towards you more which may help you make friends more easily
  • Join in with something, like a team, club or an activity, as this will be a really good way to get to know others 
  • See the positives - a new school is a new opportunity to start over and meet even more people
  • Ask people questions and show interest 

What do you think?

Yea I’ll definitely try that thank you! Definitely getting a bit nervous now that it’s tomorrow. 

53 minutes ago, Zippy said:

Yea I’ll definitely try that thank you! Definitely getting a bit nervous now that it’s tomorrow. 

Yeah, and just remember, these feelings are completely normal; let yourself experience them and respond in ways to help you settle in. Would you like to let us know how your first day goes tomorrow? 

3 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Yeah, and just remember, these feelings are completely normal; let yourself experience them and respond in ways to help you settle in. Would you like to let us know how your first day goes tomorrow? 

Im trying, still pretty panicky. Yea I will let you know how it goes.  

On 2/8/2022 at 11:59 AM, Zippy said:

Im trying, still pretty panicky. Yea I will let you know how it goes.  

Hope it went well! :) 

2 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey, yea It was okay. Pretty lonely. But today was probably worse.

Would you like to tell both me and @Monsoon why you feel like today was worse?

2 hours ago, Zippy said:

Hey, yea It was okay. Pretty lonely. But today was probably worse.

Hey there. I'm sorry to hear that. What happened? 

24 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there. I'm sorry to hear that. What happened? 

I felt really lost I don’t know, like out of place? Everyone that talked to me was only because the teacher asked them too. One of my teachers is really nice but when she got a girl to sit with me I felt so terrible, like they didn’t actually want to talk to me they just felt bad. Every class I felt so alone and stupid because I don’t understand, everything is so different here and I just don’t fit very well. 

8 hours ago, Zippy said:

I felt really lost I don’t know, like out of place? Everyone that talked to me was only because the teacher asked them too. One of my teachers is really nice but when she got a girl to sit with me I felt so terrible, like they didn’t actually want to talk to me they just felt bad. Every class I felt so alone and stupid because I don’t understand, everything is so different here and I just don’t fit very well. 

Hey there. I think all of your feelings are pretty normal to be honest; it is really common to feel like you don't fit in very well, but the thing is, you haven't made friends yet, so you will feel that way. Just remember that it takes time and you'll find your tribe eventually. Do you know what I mean? What do you think?

7 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there. I think all of your feelings are pretty normal to be honest; it is really common to feel like you don't fit in very well, but the thing is, you haven't made friends yet, so you will feel that way. Just remember that it takes time and you'll find your tribe eventually. Do you know what I mean? What do you think?

Yea I guess, I just hate being the person people feel bad for. But when I’m alone I feel so terrible so I don’t know what to do. 

12 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there. Can I ask, what makes you think people are feeling bad for you? 

Because whenever one of my teachers asks someone to sit with me or talk to me they just say “I’m sorry you know no one, I can sit with you till you make friends” so it just feels like they don’t want to be my friend but they want to make me feel better. I don’t know 

On 2/13/2022 at 2:00 AM, Monsoon said:

Ah, okay, I see what you mean. How did it feel when they said that to you? 

I felt really unwanted that like they didn’t want to be with me they just were just feeling bad. I don’t want pity and it sucks. 

4 hours ago, Zippy said:

I felt really unwanted that like they didn’t want to be with me they just were just feeling bad. I don’t want pity and it sucks. 

Hey. Yeah, I totally get why you would feel that way, and your feelings are completely valid. Have you met anyone who doesn't make you feel that way yet? What have you enjoyed about your new school so far?