Supporting a friend with ADHD

Mammu ย  ย 

Hello!

So, the title of the post is pretty self-informing. My best friend has self-diagnosed ADHD (she doesn't feel comfortable talking to a professional, plus the only person who can refer her to see one, aka her primary care doctor, is a huge...*bad word*) and I'm just wondering, what can I do to be a better friend for her? I've noticed that in the past, I've exhibited some unsupportive behavior towards her and I just want to know how to better be there for her and to understand what she is going through daily. Overall I just want to be a better friend. So, can anyone who has ADHD or someone with experience give me a few pointer and tips? It would be extremely appreciated!ย 

alex

I'm ADHD! Of course, all types of ADHD are different, and every person is different. For me, I just like it when people treat me like anybody else, but maybe give me some extra time and patience. What kind of unsupportive behavior have you shown towards her?

13 hours ago, Mammu said:

Hello!

So, the title of the post is pretty self-informing. My best friend has self-diagnosed ADHD (she doesn't feel comfortable talking to a professional, plus the only person who can refer her to see one, aka her primary care doctor, is a huge...*bad word*) and I'm just wondering, what can I do to be a better friend for her? I've noticed that in the past, I've exhibited some unsupportive behavior towards her and I just want to know how to better be there for her and to understand what she is going through daily. Overall I just want to be a better friend. So, can anyone who has ADHD or someone with experience give me a few pointer and tips? It would be extremely appreciated!ย 

alex

Hey @Mammu

You sound like such a caring friend, and the fact that you are going toย this length to support her shows how lucky she is to have you. I'm wondering, when you say unsupportive behaviour, can you explain what this looked like, please?ย 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e