Is it ok when your family steals your friends?

BabyG    
Go to solution Solved by Jaime Rose,

I am 18 years old. I have a cousin that is 27 years old who I grew up with.  She is the closest thing I ever had to a sister, but she has taken up with my best friend since kindergarten and I’m really not ok with it.  I know that people are free to be friends with whoever they want & I’m glad they hit it off, but is it appropriate that they are hanging out without me now? 

• Solution

You're right - people are free to choose their friends. That said, the things that you're feeling are completely legitimate and valid;l I can't say I wouldn't feel jealous and betrayed if my best friend started hanging out with my 28 year-old brother without me. If you think it's beneficial, I'd recommend just being honest, and having a heart-to-heart chat with your cousin and your friend your feelings about being left-out.

I'm sorry you're stuck in the middle of this, and I hope that you can find a positive resolution soon. ❤️

• Thanks 1

Hey @BabyG

Thank you for coming to us about this. I think that @Jaime Rose has given you some pretty great advice. As they said, it can be helpful to just be open with them and have a heart-to-heart chat. If you keep this kind of thing in, it can bubble over and make you feel worse in the long run. What do you think? Speak soon. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e