my friends ignore me now because..

Totally not alex1    

I knew they never supported the LGBTQ+ community but I still told them I am bisexual and now they are ignoring me I’m very scared to tell my family because my dad don’t support it and my brother definitely hates it I don’t really know how I would tell them and I never actually found the right time to tell them

Hey there.

Welcome to our community :). I’m one of the digital mentors here and I give advice and support to people who reach out to us. I’m sorry to hear that your friends reacted like that. How are you feeling about it now? It must be hard for you. We are here if you want to talk.

Sadly, some people do react badly to this kind of news. It doesn’t mean that there’s a problem with you, it just means that they have a problem with the way they think. As time goes on, they usually come round to the idea out of pure love for their friend, brother, sister, child... it just means that you have to be patient with them if they do react badly which can be frustrating. Take a look at this here, you might find it helpful: https://www.ditchthelabel.org/my-parents-didnt-react-well-to-me-coming-out/

Just remember that with coming out, if you aren’t ready, then you can totally wait. Also, if coming out might put you in danger, like being abused or kicked out, then it might be best to wait until you’re old enough to move out, or make sure you have somewhere safe to stay if you need to.

What do you think?

Speak soon. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

hello it was kinda hard for me but I’ve kinda got used to it a little since it was like a week ago I’m still a little broken by that though 

also I don’t really know about my mom I feel like I’m more likely to be safe telling her because she seems like she supports it but she might tell my brother and all so I don’t really know who I can tell 

Hey. Yeah, I completely get why you feel a little broken by that. It's really upsetting to have people react badly to finding out who we really are - it's so personal and I completely get your feelings. Have you spoken to them about how you feel?

I'm glad to hear that you're more likely to be safe telling your mom. With your brother, how do you think he'd react at the beginning and how might that change over time? 

well I don’t really know how he’d react but I know it’s most likely going to be days of him making fun of me and maybe like my friend listing all the boys in are class asking who I like so I’m still scared if he would find out

Hey. Yeah, I totally get that you're scared he will find out. So, you think he will make fun of you and then list all the boys in your class asking who you like. After that, what do you think will happen? Could it get better? 

Hey,

I get why you would think that, and it's completely normal for people in your kind of situation to think that it will never get better. However, from supporting people who had similar things going on to you, I know that it does get better for most people :)

How are you feeling about everything atm? I appreciate that this might be quite overwhelming right now, and I just want you to know that we are here for you. You are not alone with this. 

That's okay - we are here for you if you need to talk to us :)

Do you have an idea for what you might do next? It's totally okay to not have any idea btw - sometimes, you just need to sit with your situation and work through the feelings that it's bringing up. I hope you're okay. 

Hey,

Yeah, I totally hear that. This is such a hard situation to be in, but I think that you're doing really well by opening up and asking for help. This is the best way to move forward. I'm wondering, do you have any other friends that you can lean on for support right now? Or anyone else close to you? Don't forget that we are here for you too, always. 

Hey,

Ahh, that's good that you support each other. It must be nice having other people going through a similar thing to you. Lean on that support system as much as possible - it will really help to get you through :)

How are you feeling today?

Hey, that's lovely to hear. I'm good, thanks. Would you like to talk about anything else with us? We can help with loads of different things :)

that’s great to here your doing good.  I don’t really know if this is something I should say but some of my friends want me to breakup with my boyfriend because he cheated on me but I really still like him

Hey,

Thanks for telling us about this. Hmm, yeah, it's tricky that you still like him. I mean, do you think you can trust him enough to carry the relationship on? What's your gut feeling? 

Hey,

I think its good to be cautious about this kind of thing, and the fact that someone has cheated is usually a sign that something isn't right in the relationship. Have you spoken about why he did it at all? 

nope I’ve never actually asked him, I just remember that he said something that made me think that he was cheating on me so I asked him and he said: he did

Hey,

Ah, well, I think it might be good to speak about it some more and figure out his reasons for doing it. By doing this, you can then hopefully avoid it happening again. What do you think? 

well I don’t really know I will do that eventually maybe i will text him on my unknown account so he thinks it’s some random hacker but yet again I don’t know it’s his birthday month so I’ll have to wait

Hey,

What would you say to him in you text him on your unknown account? It might be better for him to know it's coming from you as this is a really important conversation to have.