This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Disordered Eating

Bad body image

Charlotte115    
Go to solution Solved by Monsoon,

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Disordered Eating

Click this notice to reveal the content.

Hi I'm Blue22031,

I have bad body image yet I'm super skinny (that's what my mum says) but I always feel fat.  People always call me ugly or over weight or a pig and it gets me down as i believe them, I know i shouldn't but I do, so i don't eat for 2 days straight.  My mum is always worrying about my heath and once she took me to the doctors to see if they could help (they couldn't as i was refusing to talk to them).  I don't like myself as you can tell. I can't even look myself in a mirror because I'm afraid that what the other people are saying is true.  I just want someone to relate to me in some way but everyone that I know don't get what I'm going through.

Edited by Daisie

• Solution

Hey @Blue22031

Welcome to our community :). I'm one of the digital mentors at Ditch and I'm here to give advice and support to those who reach out to us. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having a hard time with the way you feel right now. I just want to say that I'm proud of you for opening up about what you're going through at the moment. Speaking to others will help you to work through this. It's so hard to not believe people when they call us horrible names, but it's important to remember that some people can say things they don't mean just to hurt someone else.

Can I ask, does your mum know about how you limit your eating? I wonder if she went to the doctors again, would you talk to them now? I'm sure she is just worried about you and wants what is best. 

Have you seen our support guides here? You might find them helpful. Why don't you have a read and let me know what you think?

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/overcoming-low-self-esteem/ 

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/5-ways-boost-self-esteem/ 

Also, I'm wondering, can you tell me three things you like about yourself? It's always good to remember these kinds of things when we are feeling down on ourself :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

Hi Monsoon,

I think my mum knows and she has mentioned taking me to the doctors again as she knows I don't like going, she thinks it'll get me to eat but really it hasn't.

I don't really have three things that I like about myself but I'll have a go

1) I like that I'm funny

2) I love my curly hair 

3) erm... I like that I have blue eyes and dark hair but I need to sort out the spots 😊

Hey @Blue22031

It's really good to hear the things that you like about yourself. We tend to focus so much on what we don't like, and it's easy to get lost in that. Something that helps people to feel better is to remember three things they like about their self when they feel bad. If you keep on doing this, over time, you can change the way you look at yourself. This does take a long time, but it's sooo worth it. Would you like to give it a go? Also, did you read the support guides? Let me know what you think.

Btw, I know what you mean about not liking going to the doctors, but they have lots of training and expertise and will be able to help you. Do you think you could try going again? It can take a while to see the benefits to the help from the doctor, but it's good to stick with it because they know what they're doing.

Speak soon :) 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e