Moving forward with anxiety is it possible in the long term?

Melanie123    

Hi there, so I've been struggling with social anxiety since I was 16 (now nearly 19) it started from bullying and exams at school and over the years I've done so many different things to try overcome it. Medication. Counselling. Avoiding going out. In the short term I found release, I wanted to actually do things again. I even got a part time job! But then it came back, yes because I couldn't handle the stress of the shop shutting down I worked at, my mum being ill for months and doing a course at college which I don't think I could do anymore as a career choice. (from experiences in it) I feel quite depressed, sad, frustrated about who I've become with anxiety. The fact I can't seem to go out for a meal with my family with the tense physical sensations anxiety brings. I was wondering if anyone one else struggled with anxiety or social anxiety and had any advice or things they wanted to share. Using this space as a platform of understanding and support for each other.

Hello there Melanie,

Welcome to our community, I really hope you find the answers you are looking for here.

I think it's really great that you have taken so many steps to try and work on your anxiety. Meditation, counselling and keeping yourself out of stressful situations are all really effective ways to manage anxiety and you have said you have had success from these techniques which is amazing. I would say that as great as it would be to wave a magic wand and 'cure' your anxiety, it just doesn't work like this. It's a journey and sometimes it will be a lot harder than others and the anxiety will win. But don't think that you have gone back to the beginning because you really haven't. I prefer to think it as dips and peaks you are still moving forward but there are ups and downs along the way.

Well done for the job, sorry to hear it shut down, that wasn't your fault and admittedly losing a job is stressful. Having to manage college and your mother being ill is enough to stress anyone out - in periods of stress you will notice your anxiety peak so try not to be too hard on yourself. If you are worried about your mum, this could be why you have had an anxiety attack with your parents?

What does your anxiety feel and look like? Do you know some of your triggers?

Have you ever been given tools and exercises to do when you are anxious? I can give you some that have helped me if you like?

-Remi

Edited by Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.

Hey Melanie,

No problem - there should be an option to private message me. If you click on my name there should be an option to 'leave a visitor message' and we will be able to message eachother.

-Remi

This Digital Mentor Account is no longer active.