Skate video recommendations please

Aurora    

• Digital Mentor

I don't actually skate myself. Tried it a few times but I thin I'm just a bit too clumsy lol. However, this club reminded me that I used to love watching skate videos. It's amazing what people can do with their skateboards!! I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some good skate videos? 

• Hug 1

Staff-Account.png

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Aurora said:

I don't actually skate myself. Tried it a few times but I thin I'm just a bit too clumsy lol. However, this club reminded me that I used to love watching skate videos. It's amazing what people can do with their skateboards!! I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for some good skate videos? 

Omg hi Aurora!!!!

Welcome to the squaddd!! So glad to finally have someone in the club 🥳✨💖

Awww 😭 trust me when I say, I was the exact same (I am still very much clumsy dont get me wrong) but since I started skating my balance and foot coordination has gotten much better so don't be discouraged 💖 it does time time and practice but im very proud of you for giving it a go!! 

Frrr, skate videos are incredibly satisfying  

In terms of watching others skate technical tricks, I watch Thrasher Magazine, Red bull skating, Nike and Adidas skateboarding and some pro skaters have little compilations of their tricks and they make skate edits (a good example is bubbajackson - lots of amazing edits on there!!)

In terms of youtubers (and pro skaters) John Hill (he also has his other skate channel called Progress Daily) has some satisfying skate vids, theres also Dan Corrigan, Yung Wavy,  Sam wise skateboarding, skidish skateboarding, Ricky Glaser, George Poulos, Switch flip Jones, regular Jason, Sean brown, just keep skating, johnny ringer and Anthony S ferraro (he is an adaptive skater who is blind and he has some very impressive feats!) 

For skaters who teach really well I definetly reccomend SkatePark lessons with JB. He is one of my favourite channel as he has incredible tips and breaks down tricks and tell you how to bail so you don't get hurt which is something nobody else has mentioned. SkateiQ has some really nice tips (he mainly skates vert) but his advice can be applied to flat ground too. Also Object Barns (I met him at my local park haha) has good tutorials

VLSkate is another goated channel with tutorials, and Never stop improving also has helpful tips 

Sarah Park-Matott is really good at teaching freestyle skate tricks. AustinSk8NYC does skate content but he hasnt posted in a while

Midnight Snack skateboarding and tactics boardshop has lots of videos that are helpful if you dont know what board or gear to get 

Hope i could give some good channels with skate content to watch! Let me know if there any you have checked out :D sorry for such a long message Aurora! 🛹 ❤️ 

Edited by jazzy.sky
Spelling mistakes lol

Hope any of these reccomendations are good @Aurora! If there's any other skate stuff you'd like to ask/talk, go for it! 💗

• Digital Mentor
2 hours ago, jazzy.sky said:

Hope any of these reccomendations are good @Aurora! If there's any other skate stuff you'd like to ask/talk, go for it! 💗

Hi @jazzy.sky, I love a good skate video too! I'll post a couple that I've watched and enjoyed recently. I'm not much of a skater either. I do have a board somewhere but haven't used it in years and would probably do myself some damage if I tried skating again now. But I love watching others, so please do post a couple of your favourite youtube vids.

This one is actually more of a mini-documentary (12 mins) about a group of 'hill bombing' skateboarders in San Francisco. It's kind of amazing the risks they take doing this. It looks very sketchy doing this on roads with traffic - nonetheless, it's impressive and cool to watch:

• Hug 1

• Digital Mentor

My friend put me onto this guy ages ago. He's got his own style which is very unique and does all kind of tricks I've never seen before. Enjoy!

• Shocked 1
  • Yaaas 1

2 hours ago, Lennie said:

Hi @jazzy.sky, I love a good skate video too! I'll post a couple that I've watched and enjoyed recently. I'm not much of a skater either. I do have a board somewhere but haven't used it in years and would probably do myself some damage if I tried skating again now. But I love watching others, so please do post a couple of your favourite youtube vids.

This one is actually more of a mini-documentary (12 mins) about a group of 'hill bombing' skateboarders in San Francisco. It's kind of amazing the risks they take doing this. It looks very sketchy doing this on roads with traffic - nonetheless, it's impressive and cool to watch:

Yooo, welcome to the squad Lennie, so lovely to have you here! Haha I think you would be really good at skating if you did get back into it! 

That's so awesome!! Thank you sm Lennie! Will go give it a watch :D 

Before I forget to ask, how do you post videos here on DTL?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lennie said:

My friend put me onto this guy ages ago. He's got his own style which is very unique and does all kind of tricks I've never seen before. Enjoy!

That skate part is so cool! 🔥 loving the skate style - your friend has some good taste!!

Thank you for sharing Lennie 😊

• Like 1

• Digital Mentor
On 5/17/2024 at 8:54 PM, jazzy.sky said:

Omg hi Aurora!!!!

Welcome to the squaddd!! So glad to finally have someone in the club 🥳✨💖

Awww 😭 trust me when I say, I was the exact same (I am still very much clumsy dont get me wrong) but since I started skating my balance and foot coordination has gotten much better so don't be discouraged 💖 it does time time and practice but im very proud of you for giving it a go!! 

Frrr, skate videos are incredibly satisfying  

In terms of watching others skate technical tricks, I watch Thrasher Magazine, Red bull skating, Nike and Adidas skateboarding and some pro skaters have little compilations of their tricks and they make skate edits (a good example is bubbajackson - lots of amazing edits on there!!)

In terms of youtubers (and pro skaters) John Hill (he also has his other skate channel called Progress Daily) has some satisfying skate vids, theres also Dan Corrigan, Yung Wavy,  Sam wise skateboarding, skidish skateboarding, Ricky Glaser, George Poulos, Switch flip Jones, regular Jason, Sean brown, just keep skating, johnny ringer and Anthony S ferraro (he is an adaptive skater who is blind and he has some very impressive feats!) 

For skaters who teach really well I definetly reccomend SkatePark lessons with JB. He is one of my favourite channel as he has incredible tips and breaks down tricks and tell you how to bail so you don't get hurt which is something nobody else has mentioned. SkateiQ has some really nice tips (he mainly skates vert) but his advice can be applied to flat ground too. Also Object Barns (I met him at my local park haha) has good tutorials

VLSkate is another goated channel with tutorials, and Never stop improving also has helpful tips 

Sarah Park-Matott is really good at teaching freestyle skate tricks. AustinSk8NYC does skate content but he hasnt posted in a while

Midnight Snack skateboarding and tactics boardshop has lots of videos that are helpful if you dont know what board or gear to get 

Hope i could give some good channels with skate content to watch! Let me know if there any you have checked out :D sorry for such a long message Aurora! 🛹 ❤️ 

Huuuuge big thank you for all of these tips! It must have taken you ages to remember and write all this out!! I really appreciated all the effort you have gone into 🙏!

I've only had a chance to watch a couple so far but I am planning on having a lazy weekend. Hopefully I can check out some more then. I'll let you know if I have any favourites. 

How long have you been skating for? It sounds like you have a couple of good skateparks near by, is that right? 

As it's Friday I thought you might appreciate this GIF

Flipping Its Friday GIF by Red Bull

• Yay! 1

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor
18 hours ago, Lennie said:

I love this! Amazing how he incorporates his environment into most moves and uses loads of different things as props for his tricks! 

• Like 1
  • Yaaas 1

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor
16 hours ago, jazzy.sky said:

Yooo, welcome to the squad Lennie, so lovely to have you here! Haha I think you would be really good at skating if you did get back into it! 

That's so awesome!! Thank you sm Lennie! Will go give it a watch :D 

Before I forget to ask, how do you post videos here on DTL?

Lennie won't be back online until Monday so I thought I would jump in and answer your question re posting a video. You can just copy paste the link and then the video should be embedded automatically. Any problems, give me a shout 🙂

• Thanks 1

Staff-Account.png

23 hours ago, Lennie said:

WOAHHHHHHHH His boards probably don't last very long lmao

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aurora said:

Huuuuge big thank you for all of these tips! It must have taken you ages to remember and write all this out!! I really appreciated all the effort you have gone into 🙏!

I've only had a chance to watch a couple so far but I am planning on having a lazy weekend. Hopefully I can check out some more then. I'll let you know if I have any favourites. 

How long have you been skating for? It sounds like you have a couple of good skateparks near by, is that right? 

As it's Friday I thought you might appreciate this GIF

Flipping Its Friday GIF by Red Bull

Awww my pleasure Aurora! Hope you enjoy some of the skaters and skate youtubers I mentioned!! Ooooh yessss, lazy sk8 weekend sounds like the dream! Yess pleased, would love to hear what you enjoyed 💗💗

I've been skating for almost 2 years now and it's been the best thing I have ever done,  both for my physical and mental health! I wish I could show you my skate progression. I still remember how I couldn't skate without holding on to my parents hand and now I can skate ramps, on the road at the speed of a car and that's another lovely thing about skating, you get to see and feel your progress and it feels incredible rewarding

If you do give skating another go, im sure you will enjoy it a lot!

I have a really nice skatepark near me and one smaller one further away - both are always full though so I wake up extra early to get the park for myself for a few hours

LOVING that GIF  😊🤗 thank you for sharing Aurora!!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Aurora said:

Lennie won't be back online until Monday so I thought I would jump in and answer your question re posting a video. You can just copy paste the link and then the video should be embedded automatically. Any problems, give me a shout 🙂

Thank you so much for sharing Aurora! Will give this a go to show you some of my favourite skate videos and skate parts

Edited by jazzy.sky
Spelling mistakes lol

Welcome to the sk8 squad @Emberfrost12!! Awesome to have you here :D

2 minutes ago, jazzy.sky said:

Welcome to the sk8 squad @Emberfrost12!! Awesome to have you here :D

I should probably get my board out lmao. They took the gravel off of the roads finally :)

• Yay! 1

28 minutes ago, Emberfrost12 said:

I should probably get my board out lmao. They took the gravel off of the roads finally :)

Omg yessss you should! What style(s) of skating do you/did you do? Do you do technical tricks, casual cruising, street skating, ramps, bowls, vert skating or freestyle?

2 minutes ago, jazzy.sky said:

Omg yessss you should! What style(s) of skating do you/did you do? Do you do technical tricks, casual cruising, street skating, ramps, bowls, vert skating or freestyle?

About half of that computed. Uhh, I guess just cruising. I'm trying to learn how to do an ollie but no progress. I can basically crouch down on my skateboard while it's moving, and that's the only 'cool' thing I can do.

• Yaaas 1

33 minutes ago, Emberfrost12 said:

About half of that computed. Uhh, I guess just cruising. I'm trying to learn how to do an ollie but no progress. I can basically crouch down on my skateboard while it's moving, and that's the only 'cool' thing I can do.

That's so cool! Well done Ember! Something that helped me with ollies is holding on to a rail to hold myself for stability and practicing the motion

Also going to a park playground where there's that sort of rubber floor cos it stops your wheels from rolling so you can practice without rolling 

personally I can sort of ollie but I can't seem to get any pop when i do the motion - I get height but it's like a ghost pop where my tail doesn't touch the ground which is so annoying 

I'm trying to fix it but I'm stuck at the moment haha

Are you regular or goofy footed (or do you push mongo?)

1 hour ago, jazzy.sky said:

That's so cool! Well done Ember! Something that helped me with ollies is holding on to a rail to hold myself for stability and practicing the motion

Also going to a park playground where there's that sort of rubber floor cos it stops your wheels from rolling so you can practice without rolling 

personally I can sort of ollie but I can't seem to get any pop when i do the motion - I get height but it's like a ghost pop where my tail doesn't touch the ground which is so annoying 

I'm trying to fix it but I'm stuck at the moment haha

Are you regular or goofy footed (or do you push mongo?)

My dad always told me to practice in the grass to stop the wheels from rolling

Goofy but i can do both to an extent

• Yaaas 1

2 hours ago, Emberfrost12 said:

My dad always told me to practice in the grass to stop the wheels from rolling

Goofy but i can do both to an extent

Practicing in grass is also a good tip! Only thing is you don't get a good feeling for the pop because the grass absorbs the impact but definitely a good way to start a trick for the first time 🤗

• Like 1

• Digital Mentor
On 5/23/2024 at 7:22 PM, jazzy.sky said:

That skate part is so cool! 🔥 loving the skate style - your friend has some good taste!!

Thank you for sharing Lennie 😊

Glad you enjoyed it @jazzy.sky! I'll post again in future when I see any really stand-out skate videos. 

Very impressed/inspired to hear about your own skate progression, it sounds like you've come a long way! 🛹🔥

• Hug 1

1 hour ago, Lennie said:

Glad you enjoyed it @jazzy.sky! I'll post again in future when I see any really stand-out skate videos. 

Very impressed/inspired to hear about your own skate progression, it sounds like you've come a long way! 🛹🔥

Thank you sm Lennie!! You have epic taste in skate vids so hyped to see more that inspired you in future!!

Awww thank youuu, I wish I could show you my progression! Have you got any skate updates yourself? (Correct me if I remember wrong but did you use to skate? If you did, what did you enjoy from skating and would you like to get back into it?)

• Digital Mentor
3 hours ago, jazzy.sky said:

Thank you sm Lennie!! You have epic taste in skate vids so hyped to see more that inspired you in future!!

Awww thank youuu, I wish I could show you my progression! Have you got any skate updates yourself? (Correct me if I remember wrong but did you use to skate? If you did, what did you enjoy from skating and would you like to get back into it?)

Thanks so much @jazzy.sky 🙂

In terms of your progression, have you got any particular tricks you're aiming to learn next?

As for me, the last time I skated was many years ago when a group of friends went on holiday in Germany. I bought a Flex Deck, which was the perfect kind of board for effortlessly getting around around Berlin. I do still have that board somewhere, so perhaps I could dust it off and take it out again. I've never learnt any tricks, but I always enjoy cruising along a nice stretch of road or seafront.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lennie said:

Thanks so much @jazzy.sky 🙂

In terms of your progression, have you got any particular tricks you're aiming to learn next?

As for me, the last time I skated was many years ago when a group of friends went on holiday in Germany. I bought a Flex Deck, which was the perfect kind of board for effortlessly getting around around Berlin. I do still have that board somewhere, so perhaps I could dust it off and take it out again. I've never learnt any tricks, but I always enjoy cruising along a nice stretch of road or seafront.

At the moment, I am aiming to learn how to get consistent flat ground ollies and kick turns on the ramp 

I would love to learn how to drop in too but my skateparks don't have any mini ramps, so every ramp is huge and makes dropping in even scarier haha

That is so awesome! What does a flex deck feel like? It would be so epic if you started cruising again (personally cruising is one of the best feelings!) 👏👏

Random but are you goofy, regular or mongo?

• Digital Mentor
36 minutes ago, jazzy.sky said:

At the moment, I am aiming to learn how to get consistent flat ground ollies and kick turns on the ramp 

I would love to learn how to drop in too but my skateparks don't have any mini ramps, so every ramp is huge and makes dropping in even scarier haha

That is so awesome! What does a flex deck feel like? It would be so epic if you started cruising again (personally cruising is one of the best feelings!) 👏👏

Random but are you goofy, regular or mongo?

Nice! That is something I like about skating - you can really measure your progress by starting out not having a clue how to perform a trick and slowly, bit by bit, you somehow get it and it feels great. I have limited experience in this regard, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

And yes, I know what you mean about dropping into those ramps. I've walked along the top of them and couldn't imagine dropping in without just falling head over heels.

Flex Decks are made of fibreglass, so they have a little bit of spring in them, which makes pushing and skating along quite effortless. It's also nice because you can turn nice and smoothly too.

I push off on my right foot, which is goofy, think. How about you?

• Like 1