What advice would you give to somebody starting at a new school/college/uni?

Harper Β  Β 

• Ditch the Label Staff

I'll start with...

It's normal to feel nervous and apprehensive and often times we think we're the only one feeling it, but everybody else is in the exact same boat and will be going through the same

Staff-Account.png

Love that harper, just also wanted to add on that, things will get harder at times, and at some points it will be easier. Making friends might be harder for some, but? I will always preach this, always be yourself, don’t act differently to try be friends with someone who doesn’t appreciate you as yourself! Uni-college etc will be very nerve wracking, but you’ll get to meet the teachers, pupils etc and you’ll get used to the surrounding area, never forget we’re here for you at DTL! πŸ’ž

• Like 1

• Digital Mentor

Mine would be to create opportunities for yourself by getting involved, trust me, I totally get how scary it can to put yourself out there but something I feel happy that my younger self did that. IΒ joined different clubs, organizations, and societies on campus and in the local area. It was a great way to network, make new friends, discover things I was passionate about, and it lead to internships or job opportunities and most importantly helped me understand what I like and didn't, which I think really helps in the real world with being more assertive, confident, and knowing my own worth.Β 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor

My advice is, don't be afraid to ask for help. I find that most people are happy to help and it can be a good ice breaker, too. I met my best friends at university because I asked someone for help. I was a bit lost and didn't know where to find the student union during freshers week. I spotted someone else wondering around and decided to ask him if he knew where it was. He didn't but it just so happened that he was heading there himself. He suggested that we could look for it together and we ended up chatting.Β  A few days later we bumped into each other andΒ  he introduced me to his flatmates. His flatmates were super nice and we hit it off straight away. We started hanging out together and we've been friends ever since Funnily enough not the guy I asked for directions though as he already had a different group of friends he was hanging out with. I probably wouldn't have met my friends though, if I hadn't asked him for helpΒ πŸ˜…Β 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

• Digital Mentor

My advice is one that has been told a thousand times before - but with my own personal take on things.

It is simply to be yourself.Β 

Everyone else is taken. But, mainly because people will often sense when you are not being your authentic self - when you're either trying too hard or doing or saying things that doesn't feel natural to you. You will find your people who like you for you, so it's better to not pretend to be someone else. Friendships should be based on true connection.

That said; try to go a bit out of your comfort zone - at least a tiny bit. Try something new. Dare to approach people and take the first step. Because there might be someone out there who really appreciates you doing what they don't dare to do just yet.

Staff-Account.png