I’m starting to think that this isn’t normal…

PurpleAyeAye    

Hi, so basically when I’m alone at night or in a dark space or really just alone in general, like no one else is in sight I will just have an intense feeling of fear and then I think my brain doesn’t understand why I feel like that so then I not intentionally start imagining like scary things like someone watching me, someone under my bed, I dunno stuff like that and I will just be afraid and not want to be alone or do things that make me feel vulnerable like taking a shower. If I try to sleep then I will just see horrible scary things in my head, mostly faces, some that I don’t even remember ever seeing and they are maimed or just creepy. And it’s like they are act In front of me, if I open my eyes they kinda go away, but then I just don’t feel safe, like someone is watching me and I start to freak out. Sometimes I’m able to stay calm and I will have a. Dream that is really scaring or just upsetting and sometimes I can’t really remember if it was real or not. I dunno but I kinda was thinking and this stuff kinda seems weird…..

• Digital Mentor
8 hours ago, ANI(ah-knee) said:

Hi, so basically when I’m alone at night or in a dark space or really just alone in general, like no one else is in sight I will just have an intense feeling of fear and then I think my brain doesn’t understand why I feel like that so then I not intentionally start imagining like scary things like someone watching me, someone under my bed, I dunno stuff like that and I will just be afraid and not want to be alone or do things that make me feel vulnerable like taking a shower. If I try to sleep then I will just see horrible scary things in my head, mostly faces, some that I don’t even remember ever seeing and they are maimed or just creepy. And it’s like they are act In front of me, if I open my eyes they kinda go away, but then I just don’t feel safe, like someone is watching me and I start to freak out. Sometimes I’m able to stay calm and I will have a. Dream that is really scaring or just upsetting and sometimes I can’t really remember if it was real or not. I dunno but I kinda was thinking and this stuff kinda seems weird…..

Heyy @ANI(ah-knee), I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label.

I really appreciate you opening up about what you've been experiencing. It takes a lot of courage to share such personal feelings. Firstly, I want to assure you that what you're going through is not weird at all. Many people experience feelings of fear and anxiety, especially in the quiet and darkness of the night, I know that I did when I was younger. It's completely normal to have an overactive imagination, and your mind might conjure up unsettling images. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're dealing with these intense feelings, and it's completely okay to feel vulnerable, I know that it can be a lot at times. It's important to acknowledge that your emotions are valid. I am wondering is there anything specific that you find helpful when you start to feel scared or anxious?

Staff-Account.png

Hi, thank you. Yeah I’ll often listen to an audiobook to keep my mind focused on other things and if someone else is with me the feelings will mostly go away.

• Digital Mentor
10 hours ago, ANI(ah-knee) said:

Hi, thank you. Yeah I’ll often listen to an audiobook to keep my mind focused on other things and if someone else is with me the feelings will mostly go away.

I see, that makes total sense and I am glad you have things that helps your mind stay focused. I am wondering do you remember a time when this might've begun for you, like these feelings of fear (e.g. was there a trigger at any point that you can recall)? 

Staff-Account.png