How can I stop feeling so depressed?

Music89    

A little under a year ago I started feeling really depressed and I got to the point where I was feeling suicidal. I told my friends and they tried to help me but nothing helped and eventually my mom found out. She made me do a bunch of stuff like join activities and spend more time outdoors but it didn’t seem to help and it took so much effort to do everything. After a while I started feeling better and my mom thought I was fine but then it came back and I didn’t tell her about it. Sometimes I feel fine and other times I feel really sad and I can’t control it and I don’t want to tell anyone because when I feel ok I don’t want to have to deal with everyone treating me like I’m not ok, but sometimes I just feel lonely and sad and it feels like an emptiness inside of me. I’ve managed to try other things to feel better like singing or playing guitar which I am passionate about but when I feel depressed nothing really helps. The thing that really keeps me from telling people though is I don’t always feel like I am depressed and I don’t want to tell people something that isn’t true. Please give me advice and let me know what I should do.

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hello Music89,

Firstly I want to say welcome to community. We are so glad you made it here!

It sounds like you have had a rough year. But well done for you for reaching out to friends and your mum. You seem to have an awesome support network around you. We understand it’s hard to reach out sometimes and you feel like a burden to them but they care about you and will want to help.

One thing to say is, it is okay to not be okay. The periods when you feel down must feel so horrible but when you are in those dark times try to remember that it will pass, just like it did last time, and the time before. You are stronger than you think.

It’s so awesome that you have hobbies that you enjoy and such creative outlets are bound to help even if you can’t always enjoy doing them when you feel depressed. Have you ever spoken to a Doctor about the way you feel when you are depressed? It would be a good idea to have a chat with them to see if there is anything that they could help with.

If you ever feel suicidal again please make sure you reach out to someone. This could be us or someone from your family or friends. If you are UK based The Samaritans are always there in a crisis, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and will listen without judgement. If you are US based then contact the NSPL on 1-800-273-8255

Don’t be afraid to tell the ones closest to you what is wrong, being depressed does not mean that you are never allowed to be happy and the way you feel is completely valid and your friends and family will hopefully understand that. You could also show them this and it may stop you from having to explain how to support you when you are feeling low >> https://www.ditchthelabel.org/depression-how-you-can-help/

I also think this article might help you.

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/10-reasons-never-ashamed-mental-illness/

Thanks so much for sharing and we are here if you need us.

Staff-Account.png