What can I do?

stopitmyles    

Hi, I’m Myles. Basically the situation is I’m a trans man, FTM, and I don’t know what all I can do about one of my teacher’s transphobia. He knows I’m trans and we met on mutual grounds about my name so he just calls me Reed (my last name). Anyway, he makes a lot of transphobic comments and jokes and things, but nothing major. I want it to stop, but I don’t want to get him in trouble with his boss. He’s a good person, he’s just transphobic.

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hi Myles,

Welcome to DTL! Thanks for sharing your experiences, although it sounds pretty stressful. Is he saying these things in front of other people or just to you directly? I'm not sure if you know but transphobia is actually considered a hate crime. Gender is a protected characteristic so what you are telling me is pretty serious.

I'd be really keen to know if anybody has witnessed it, if you have tried to do anything about it yet and maybe some examples of what he is saying (if you feel comfortable sharing).

Harper :)

Staff-Account.png