This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Self-Harm

I don't know how to help.

LaneIsHere Β  Β 

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Self-Harm

Click this notice to reveal the content.

TW: SH, Mental Illness

I have a friend, who I'm going to call 'A' for privacy.Β 

A little context: I sit at a table with A, but were not super close friends, but were friendly. My two best friends 'T' and 'S' also sit with me. A's girlfriend also sits with us, as well as two girls who I would consider school friends, but again not super close. That's pretty much the group, were kind of the table for floaters and new students, until people move to a new table. Most of us have/had pretty severe mental illness, that has not completely gone away. We kinda created an escape at the table, lots of loud jokes and conversations. A different friend of mine (not at the table) told me to tell A to stop Self-Harming. I asked why she thought A was self harming and she said that she overheard A saying she did. The next day I was still thinking how to help, and I noticed a bunch of small cuts / scars on A's arm. I think A is cutting themselves, but I don't know what to do to help. Were not super close friends, and I'm a very socially awkward person. I don't want to report it to safe to tell because that could make it worse, A does not like dealing with any adults. My Mom is the admin at my school, so I can't talk to her about it because it would be mandatory for her to report it. I don't know what to do, or for sure if this is self harm. Can anyone help?

Hey @LaneIsHere

I just want to start by saying how lucky A is to have you as a friend. I can tell how much you care about them, and I'm sure they are very grateful to have you in their life :)

I noticed what you said about how A does not like dealing with any adults, but I think for this really, they kind of have to know so that they can help them; what do you think? It's one of those things where it might be tricky for them at first, but in the end, it will probably do them good. Also, I'm wondering, would you consider talking to them about it and seeing what they say?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

I don't know. I think they have talked with someone and it didn't go well. I'm really not close enough that I can ask personal questions, they don't know me that well. I might be able to talk with A's girlfriend, i'm a bit closer to her.

Hey there,

Ah, okay, that makes sense with you not being that close. Yeah, I think it would be a good idea to talk to their girlfriend. Maybe try that and see how it goes?Β 

21 hours ago, LaneIsHere said:

Ok, i'll try.

Okay, sounds good! Would you like anymore support for now, or are you okay?