This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Other, Mental Illness

Philosophy chat yasss

Equivalent Ways Β  Β 

• Digital Mentor
15 hours ago, Equivalent Ways said:

ok, so like... I am a bit obsessed rn with how humans can't seem to resist blabbing about themselves, or only thinking of themselves😀 i know i am no exception but I try to listen and keep an curious mind😭

I hear you, so my thoughts on that is how humans are such complex beings with a range of motivations, needs, and desires and when we look at the basic human needs, it's this urge forΒ  connection and belonging, and talking about oneself can be a way to establish that connection (I think). In my experience, sharing personal information can help people feel closer to others and can create a sense of intimacy and trust. I was reading a bit into evolution as well and humans are wired to focus on themselves because of our survival instincts. This is going to sound all science-y but the brain's limbic system, which is responsible for regulating emotions, prioritizes self-preservation and self-interest. This means that humans tend to view the world from their own perspective and prioritize their own needs over others. But again, as we always say 'NOT ALL HUMANS' are self-centred or egocentric. Many people are capable of empathy and putting themselves in others' shoes. In fact, research suggests that humans have an innate capacity for empathy and altruism, and these traits are what enable us to form meaningful relationships and communities, which explains how we are able to thrive and adapt even when we move across different countries. These are my two cents about it, I am sure it's a whole lot more complex and must be multifactorial in terms of influence on every individual. What do you all think?

Β 

Β 

• Shocked 1

Staff-Account.png

1 hour ago, Luie said:

I hear you, so my thoughts on that is how humans are such complex beings with a range of motivations, needs, and desires and when we look at the basic human needs, it's this urge forΒ  connection and belonging, and talking about oneself can be a way to establish that connection (I think). In my experience, sharing personal information can help people feel closer to others and can create a sense of intimacy and trust. I was reading a bit into evolution as well and humans are wired to focus on themselves because of our survival instincts. This is going to sound all science-y but the brain's limbic system, which is responsible for regulating emotions, prioritizes self-preservation and self-interest. This means that humans tend to view the world from their own perspective and prioritize their own needs over others. But again, as we always say 'NOT ALL HUMANS' are self-centred or egocentric. Many people are capable of empathy and putting themselves in others' shoes. In fact, research suggests that humans have an innate capacity for empathy and altruism, and these traits are what enable us to form meaningful relationships and communities, which explains how we are able to thrive and adapt even when we move across different countries. These are my two cents about it, I am sure it's a whole lot more complex and must be multifactorial in terms of influence on every individual. What do you all think?

hahah! You have very interesting thoughts :) I do agree a lot with the idea of discussion is making connection because we do want to feel heard (ultimately loved and safe lol) so i get that.Β  And frankly I think human are always selfish, like ALWAYS, and its not even a bad thing. I am selfish but I want a win-win... Some ppl are more oriented for working with others, while some just want power over others. Because I do want to survive, yes. And some of the scientific points you made I have thought of to!! Like how the back part of our brain by our neck(srry I dont know the term) is more associated with self-preservation and survival. I actually found this because i was studying how this part of the brain actually holds onto traumatic habits and mindsets!!

And frankly, ppl who are serial killers are notoriously having empathy disorders :(

But it is crazy how well the mind can adapt to survive ( i went into survival mode during childhood, but now I am trying to learn to adapt to a safer environment :) Did I cover most of your thoughts? I hope so, its good stuff, definitely worth more than 2 centsπŸ˜‚ but it does make CENTS(get it? lol) I do think it is very complicated to every different individual, but at the same time it feels very simple... I just get caught up in how I am thinking in my mind about my mind with my mind!

• Digital Mentor
On 4/29/2023 at 8:50 PM, Equivalent Ways said:

hahah! You have very interesting thoughts :) I do agree a lot with the idea of discussion is making connection because we do want to feel heard (ultimately loved and safe lol) so i get that.Β  And frankly I think human are always selfish, like ALWAYS, and its not even a bad thing. I am selfish but I want a win-win... Some ppl are more oriented for working with others, while some just want power over others. Because I do want to survive, yes. And some of the scientific points you made I have thought of to!! Like how the back part of our brain by our neck(srry I dont know the term) is more associated with self-preservation and survival. I actually found this because i was studying how this part of the brain actually holds onto traumatic habits and mindsets!!

And frankly, ppl who are serial killers are notoriously having empathy disorders :(

But it is crazy how well the mind can adapt to survive ( i went into survival mode during childhood, but now I am trying to learn to adapt to a safer environment :) Did I cover most of your thoughts? I hope so, its good stuff, definitely worth more than 2 centsπŸ˜‚ but it does make CENTS(get it? lol) I do think it is very complicated to every different individual, but at the same time it feels very simple... I just get caught up in how I am thinking in my mind about my mind with my mind!

Β 

It's great to hear that you agree with the idea that discussion can create connections and that human beings are inherently selfish. It's true that being selfish is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as it is balanced with a desire for mutual benefit, as you pointed out which I think is a good point for sure. Regarding the brain region associated with self-preservation and survival, you might be referring to the brainstem, which controls basic functions like breathing and heartbeat. The amygdala, located in the temporal lobe, is also involved in survival instincts and emotional responses. I always find the human brain so fascinating, I do feel so much of it is still untapped.Β It's unfortunate that some individuals with empathy disorders may engage in harmful behaviour towards others.Β It's also great to hear that you have recognized the impact of your past experiences on your mindset and habits, and that you are actively working towards adapting to a safer environment. It can be challenging to change ingrained patterns of thinking and behaviour, what do you think has been the most challenging part for you and how are you dealing with it?

Β 

Β 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Mental Illness

Click this notice to reveal the content.
6 minutes ago, Luie said:

It's great to hear that you agree with the idea that discussion can create connections and that human beings are inherently selfish. It's true that being selfish is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as it is balanced with a desire for mutual benefit, as you pointed out which I think is a good point for sure. Regarding the brain region associated with self-preservation and survival, you might be referring to the brainstem, which controls basic functions like breathing and heartbeat. The amygdala, located in the temporal lobe, is also involved in survival instincts and emotional responses. I always find the human brain so fascinating, I do feel so much of it is still untapped.Β It's unfortunate that some individuals with empathy disorders may engage in harmful behaviour towards others.Β It's also great to hear that you have recognized the impact of your past experiences on your mindset and habits, and that you are actively working towards adapting to a safer environment. It can be challenging to change ingrained patterns of thinking and behaviour, what do you think has been the most challenging part for you and how are you dealing with it?

πŸ‘ good thoughts, probably the most challenge part has not been going clinically insane. I can't explain it, not that I wont but I just really don't think I can. Like sometimes my mind thinking drives me crazy. But every time I have gotten through an intensive spell, i get back to work processing the mental ruts of trauma in my brain. I think it is hard to un-wire things- and then try to RE-wire themπŸ˜΅β€πŸ’« I do have support, but i can easily, like really easily get stuck in my head... In a bad mood its he11a scary, and it a good mood it is he11a interesting! I sure do like studying the human/my human psyche. I just can get so overwhelmed, and actually feel crazy sometimes, i am just proud that i keep reigning back in the wild horse
😌

Hehe~
guess who reeled in another question πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜

how does one tell the difference between pleasure, and pain?

• Digital Mentor

23 hours ago, Equivalent Ways said:

πŸ‘ good thoughts, probably the most challenge part has not been going clinically insane. I can't explain it, not that I wont but I just really don't think I can. Like sometimes my mind thinking drives me crazy. But every time I have gotten through an intensive spell, i get back to work processing the mental ruts of trauma in my brain. I think it is hard to un-wire things- and then try to RE-wire themπŸ˜΅β€πŸ’« I do have support, but i can easily, like really easily get stuck in my head... In a bad mood its he11a scary, and it a good mood it is he11a interesting! I sure do like studying the human/my human psyche. I just can get so overwhelmed, and actually feel crazy sometimes, i am just proud that i keep reigning back in the wild horse
😌

I hear you on this and can relate.Β 

12 hours ago, Equivalent Ways said:

Hehe~
guess who reeled in another question πŸ˜‰πŸ˜πŸ˜

how does one tell the difference between pleasure, and pain?

Ooo, this can be straight forward if viewing it from a 'definition' point of view, however, I do think that pleasure and pain can be subjective and vary from person to person. What is pleasurable or painful for one person may not be the same for another.Β 

• Thanks 1

Staff-Account.png

10 minutes ago, Luie said:

I hear you on this and can relate.Β 

Ooo, this can be straight forward if viewing it from a 'definition' point of view, however, I do think that pleasure and pain can be subjective and vary from person to person. What is pleasurable or painful for one person may not be the same for another.Β 

Ah I appreciate that! Sorry you feel me on that level..? πŸ˜…I mean, I’m not alone tho ofc

then I need to figure out for myself what β€˜pleasure’ and β€˜pain’ is and how to put them into the context of this questionπŸ€”πŸ’­

very cool

• Like 1

Philosophy chat: existencial crisis lol

I was thinking about the concept of awe and wonder, very helpful to staying stable i think. Not like wondering but like a view that you look at with wonder... i guess kinda similar hah

I have a scattered brain but that is what I wanted to not for now.

Enjoy the wonder, ex. your breath, the way the plants meet the lake water, how your fingertips run along a surface.. idk :D