This topic contains content which has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Suicide, Trauma

Need therapy advice

Equivalent Ways    

This post has been flagged with warnings, as follows: Suicide, Trauma

Click this notice to reveal the content.

Hey lo! So basically I have/had a therapist who is like a good therapist and who my mom likes talking too but I don’t like him and we don’t click at all! He ain’t creepy but he kinda got a power trip going and he overacts and he does not hear me. 
basically thanks to my awesome communication skills (lolol) I don’t have to see him anymore which is good… but just yesterday I decided to give him a ring cuz I really badly needed his advice on smth… I just am a little nervous that I opened a pandoras box or smth. But if he does scary things like threatening to send me to a Phcye ward because I am feeling suicidal, should I have to see him? Therapy is supposed to be helpful, not being more trauma.. and I have talked with him about this too btw.

I just am curious for some input, thanks🫶🏽

Edited by Equivalent Ways
  • Hug 1

37 minutes ago, Equivalent Ways said:

Hey lo! So basically I have/had a therapist who is like a good therapist and who my mom likes talking too but I don’t like him and we don’t click at all! He ain’t creepy but he kinda got a power trip going and he overacts and he does not hear me. 
basically thanks to my awesome communication skills (lolol) I don’t have to see him anymore which is good… but just yesterday I decided to give him a ring cuz I really badly needed his advice on smth… I just am a little nervous that I opened a pandoras box or smth. But if he does scary things like threatening to send me to a Phcye ward because I am feeling suicidal, should I have to see him? Therapy is supposed to be helpful, not being more trauma.. and I have talked with him about this too btw.

I just am curious for some input, thanks🫶🏽

Hey,

We can definitely give you some input on this, so thanks for sharing :) 

Just before we get started though, I noticed what you said about him doing scary things like sending you to a psych ward because you're feeling suicidal, and I just wanted to check, are you feeling that way at the moment, suicidal? If so, can I ask, have you made a plan to take your own life? I do appreciate these may be very personal questions, and we are only asking because we care and want to make sure you're okay. I kind of get the sense you asked the question in terms of a what if, meaning that you're thinking about what could possibly happen, but I may have interpreted it incorrectly, and I'm sorry if I have. Take care and speak soon. 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

2 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

We can definitely give you some input on this, so thanks for sharing :) 

Just before we get started though, I noticed what you said about him doing scary things like sending you to a psych ward because you're feeling suicidal, and I just wanted to check, are you feeling that way at the moment, suicidal? If so, can I ask, have you made a plan to take your own life? I do appreciate these may be very personal questions, and we are only asking because we care and want to make sure you're okay. I kind of get the sense you asked the question in terms of a what if, meaning that you're thinking about what could possibly happen, but I may have interpreted it incorrectly, and I'm sorry if I have. Take care and speak soon. 

Hey @Monsoon thanks for your honesty. Basically yes, I had an action plan to take my life and motivation to do it butttt that was a while ago :/ maybe a 6 or 7 months? And now i feel different, I am getting help and feel more empowered. I mentioned to you before that my past therapist was not good for me, and I am talking about the same one here. I bring this up mostly because I am still trying to process if I feel good about my decision to stop talking to him. Not only that, but I was really scared and shocked because I feel he put me in a corner about possibly being sent to a psych ward... I never was, I never needed to be😔 I feel that he never heard my accomplishments and the steps I was taking not to end my life, but to keep it going. I feel he only recognized the negative. I want to talk to ppl about this because I love diving deep into things, I am such a curious and wondering person.❤️

1 hour ago, Equivalent Ways said:

Hey @Monsoon thanks for your honesty. Basically yes, I had an action plan to take my life and motivation to do it butttt that was a while ago :/ maybe a 6 or 7 months? And now i feel different, I am getting help and feel more empowered. I mentioned to you before that my past therapist was not good for me, and I am talking about the same one here. I bring this up mostly because I am still trying to process if I feel good about my decision to stop talking to him. Not only that, but I was really scared and shocked because I feel he put me in a corner about possibly being sent to a psych ward... I never was, I never needed to be😔 I feel that he never heard my accomplishments and the steps I was taking not to end my life, but to keep it going. I feel he only recognized the negative. I want to talk to ppl about this because I love diving deep into things, I am such a curious and wondering person.❤️

Hey there,

Yeah, I can definitely see how curious you are, and that is a great quality to have :)

To explore your thoughts around this more, I'm wondering, if you had stayed with the therapist, how do you think it would have ended up going? Do you have any regrets about leaving?

2 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

Yeah, I can definitely see how curious you are, and that is a great quality to have :)

To explore your thoughts around this more, I'm wondering, if you had stayed with the therapist, how do you think it would have ended up going? Do you have any regrets about leaving?

Well, thank you 🥸:) and good questions….. I stayed more than I even should have in the first place because I wanted to please ppl and do it for them… but I don’t have any regrets about leaving and I have been proud of how I am taking care of myself. I think if I stayed longer… I fear I would have been sent to a ward or smth cuz it would be a spiral or not leaning->getting more depressed->having my therapist get more convinced-> then getting more depressed and on and on…

so I do think it is good but there is a nagging from society and my psychiatrist that I SHOULD be doing this.. not the first time for me hearing that blabber tho😅🥲😓 so sometimes the pressure can be a lot.

they say that pressure is what makes diamonds💎 but it also compresses trash🫠 you can see that, naturally, I am a bit insecure on this topic.

🙏🏽❤️👐🏽

Hey there,

I am glad you have no regrets about leaving; it really sounds like you made a decision that was right for you and I can imagine you have been feeling pretty empowered by this. It's completely normal to be insecure with this kind of thing, but I think you know deep down that you made the right decision for yourself, and that definitely comes through in your last message. What do you think? Also, what advice would you have given to a friend in the same situation?

52 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

I am glad you have no regrets about leaving; it really sounds like you made a decision that was right for you and I can imagine you have been feeling pretty empowered by this. It's completely normal to be insecure with this kind of thing, but I think you know deep down that you made the right decision for yourself, and that definitely comes through in your last message. What do you think? Also, what advice would you have given to a friend in the same situation?

hiya, thanks, that is really nice :) So some new info:

I talked with my psychiatrist today and she reffed me to a new therapist :D

I am excited because I do actually wanna talk to someone outside of the fam and just talk. But also nervous cuz I dread talking to NEW therapists😑

To a friend, I would just want them to get all the support they need, if something is not supportive then its not. I might suggest getting a new therapist also just continuing to research and develop healthy coping mechanisms is good too! <3

On 3/22/2023 at 6:29 PM, Equivalent Ways said:

hiya, thanks, that is really nice :) So some new info:

I talked with my psychiatrist today and she reffed me to a new therapist :D

I am excited because I do actually wanna talk to someone outside of the fam and just talk. But also nervous cuz I dread talking to NEW therapists😑

To a friend, I would just want them to get all the support they need, if something is not supportive then its not. I might suggest getting a new therapist also just continuing to research and develop healthy coping mechanisms is good too! <3

Hey there,

It's really normal to be nervous, but you're doing a great thing, and you will grow by coming outside of your comfort zone, so good luck :)

I'm wondering, would you like anymore support with this now, or are you good?

26 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

It's really normal to be nervous, but you're doing a great thing, and you will grow by coming outside of your comfort zone, so good luck :)

I'm wondering, would you like anymore support with this now, or are you good?

Well, Its funny right? Opening up and trying to build a new relationship is always a little scary😅 naturally, i guess. But I am excited, so I might keep you updated! Other than that, thank you, and we'll see how it goes :)🙏❤️🤘

18 hours ago, Equivalent Ways said:

Well, Its funny right? Opening up and trying to build a new relationship is always a little scary😅 naturally, i guess. But I am excited, so I might keep you updated! Other than that, thank you, and we'll see how it goes :)🙏❤️🤘

Great, good luck with it all :) 

If you do need us for anything, you know where we are. Take care.