Advice.

ALTheBest01    

Hello, everyone. I need advice. Recently, someone from Snapchat threatened to expose me to all my followers on Instagram if I didn't pay them. I accidentally sent a nude pick without thinking, as I thought the person was interested. The person sent nudes back, but as it looks, the person isn't legit. They are asking for money, and I have them already; they keep asking for more, claiming they can ruin my life. They say they can find my address. I want this all to end. I am planning to call the police soon, but I wanted someone advice from everyone.

• Digital Mentor
1 hour ago, ALTheBest01 said:

Hello, everyone. I need advice. Recently, someone from Snapchat threatened to expose me to all my followers on Instagram if I didn't pay them. I accidentally sent a nude pick without thinking, as I thought the person was interested. The person sent nudes back, but as it looks, the person isn't legit. They are asking for money, and I have them already; they keep asking for more, claiming they can ruin my life. They say they can find my address. I want this all to end. I am planning to call the police soon, but I wanted someone advice from everyone.

Heyy @ALTheBest01, I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label. I am truly sorry to hear about someone violating your trust in this manner. I just want you to know that we are here to help you in whatever way we can. If there is any evidence of him talking on snapchat especially where they have threatened you, then please send a screenshot of this with both of your usernames to support@ditchthelabel.org and we can report this for you.  This will not get you in trouble with the police, and it may mean that their account gets removed. We are trusted flaggers at Ditch the Label, and any report we make is prioritised by the platform and looked at first.

Once you have done this, I would really encourage you to block all accounts and not accept any new message requests. Additionally, please do not pay them anymore, I know this might sound alarming as they could potentially leak, but then the more you send them the higher the cost becomes. I do think reaching out to the police will be beneficial for you, so please do so once you have sent the details to us so we can collectively get this sorted out for you. How does this all sound? 

And, it's a lot what you're going through so please do message us on confidential support if you need to speak more one to one on this (it's next to blogs in the top bar. 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

Thank you so much for the advice. The thing is that they said that if I blocked the account, then they would share my explicit photos with my friends on Instagram. I agree that the cost is getting high. I don't want their account to be blocked to ruin my life. This is the first time I have ever sent an explicit photo and I made such a huge mistake. 

• Digital Mentor
23 hours ago, ALTheBest01 said:

Thank you so much for the advice. The thing is that they said that if I blocked the account, then they would share my explicit photos with my friends on Instagram. I agree that the cost is getting high. I don't want their account to be blocked to ruin my life. This is the first time I have ever sent an explicit photo and I made such a huge mistake. 

Heyy @ALTheBest01, you trusted someone and were vulnerable about yourself, it's not easy to do so, I am sorry that it turned out this way. We won't be getting their account blocked by saying that you have reported it to us. 

I am aware that on snapchat it does show when you record or take a screenshot, there is a trick around that which I'll share with you: 

• Go to the “Control Center” and tap on “Airplane Mode” with a plane icon
  • You can now go back to the Snapchat application and view the snap. You can now then take a screenshot/screen recording of the photo/chat. As it is on “Airplane Mode”, then you will not be able to send a notification
  • Once you turn off the “Airplane Mode” , they will send a notification to the sender. To make sure they do not get notified, make sure to clear all of your caches before turning off the “Airplane Mode” 

Once you have this please do send it with both of your usernames to support@ditchthelabel.org and we can report this for you.  

Staff-Account.png