Threat to Leak

lk4k    

41 minutes ago, lk4k said:

Hello,

So this scammer is threatening to leak a photo of me. They are asking for money and have sent me names of my friends that they are going to send it to. What should i do?

Hey there,

I'm really sorry to hear you are being threatened to have your photo leaked. I appreciate this must be really stressful for you, and I just want you to know you’ve come to the right place and we will do what we can to support you. Here are some tips:

1) If you would find it helpful, we may be able to have their social media account removed if they threatened you over Tumblr, TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, or Snapchat. To do this, please send both of your usernames and a screenshot of the conversation where they threaten you to support@ditchthelabel.org Please block out any of the nude content when you send this over.

2) Make your all your social accounts private if they are not already and block the individual. You could even ask your followers to block the account. If they know your real name, take this out of any social media usernames. You could also try to find their account on other social media platforms and block them there. 

3) I would report this to the police because their actions may be classed as a crime where you live. 

Also, I have lots of experience in supporting people who have been blackmailed to pay money in the same way you have. As a general rule, never pay the individual. Their only motivation is money, and when they realise they aren’t going to get it, they have nothing to gain by then leaking the picture, because they know they won’t get money. Therefore, block and  ignore all communication. From experience, the more time that passes between blocking and not hearing from them, the less likely it is that the content will be leaked as the individual usually then moves on. What do you think?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

• 5 weeks later...