Should I tell my parents that I'm Bi?

-Aussie- Β  Β 

My parents are homophobic and they make jokes about Lgbtq+. When they do it around me it kinda makes me mad about it. I think I am going to tell them that I am Bi. I don't know if it is a good idea to cause I don't know if I will be safe by doing it. I want to wait but this is getting on my nerves. They make fun of one of my friends casue he is trans and they say I should not be friends with him and I don't know what to do anymore its just all too much for me.Β 

• Hug 1
  • Pride 1

3 hours ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

My parents are homophobic and they make jokes about Lgbtq+. When they do it around me it kinda makes me mad about it. I think I am going to tell them that I am Bi. I don't know if it is a good idea to cause I don't know if I will be safe by doing it. I want to wait but this is getting on my nerves. They make fun of one of my friends casue he is trans and they say I should not be friends with him and I don't know what to do anymore its just all too much for me.Β 

oh no, i'm so sorry! do you feel comfortable about telling your family about you being bi? if not, maybe you can try and talk to a friend. i'm going through the same thing, and you just have to take it slowly. if you do decide to tell a friend, notice if you feel much better, or maybe even more nervous.Β 

1 minute ago, chrissy_x0 said:

oh no, i'm so sorry! do you feel comfortable about telling your family about you being bi? if not, maybe you can try and talk to a friend. i'm going through the same thing, and you just have to take it slowly. if you do decide to tell a friend, notice if you feel much better, or maybe even more nervous.Β 

i have told all of my friends but alot of there are bi, gay or trans. it gets on my nerves casue my parents make fun of them thats why i really want to tell them.Β 

18 hours ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

i have told all of my friends but alot of there are bi, gay or trans. it gets on my nerves casue my parents make fun of them thats why i really want to tell them.Β 

oh no, that's terrible. i do have one suggestion-- sit down with your parents and talk with them. ask them questions like, "Why do you make fun of LGBTQ+ members?" "What do you not like about LGBTQ+?" i hope everything goes well for you. have a wonderful day/night! <3

Just now, chrissy_x0 said:

oh no, that's terrible. i do have one suggestion-- sit down with your parents and talk with them. ask them questions like, "Why do you make fun of LGBTQ+ members?" "What do you not like about LGBTQ+?" i hope everything goes well for you. have a wonderful day/night! <3

i may try that when i get home (i am at school rn)

9 minutes ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

i may try that when i get home (i am at school rn)

alright! have a great school day!

On 12/5/2022 at 10:47 AM, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

Does anyone in your family know about you being bi. If so then just ask if they can be there when you tell them.

35 minutes ago, lgbtqbi5 said:

Does anyone in your family know about you being bi. If so then just ask if they can be there when you tell them.

no one in my family knows

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

Hmmmm, is there anyone in your family u could depend on? Like to support you & be there for ya?

Just now, _Cyrus_ said:

Hmmmm, is there anyone in your family u could depend on? Like to support you & be there for ya?

no, no one in my family likes anything about LGBTQ+. I am the only oneΒ 

1 hour ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

Ok, if you think that your parents will harm you then I suggest maybe getting a help hotline on speed dial if you want to tell them.

1 minute ago, lgbtqbi5 said:

Ok, if you think that your parents will harm you then I suggest maybe getting a help hotline on speed dial if you want to tell them.

i can't do that my parents can see what i do on my phone all the time and they check everyday.

6 minutes ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

i can't do that my parents can see what i do on my phone all the time and they check everyday.

Damn, ok why don't you try telling your principal or some of your teachers.

Just now, lgbtqbi5 said:

Damn, ok why don't you try telling your principal or some of your teachers.

ok not trying to go aginst every idea you have but i just moved schools and don't trust anyone at my new school

16 hours ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

ok not trying to go aginst every idea you have but i just moved schools and don't trust anyone at my new school

OK, that's fine, all I can suggest is just wait until you trust the people at your school to tell them.

32 minutes ago, lgbtqbi5 said:

OK, that's fine, all I can suggest is just wait until you trust the people at your school to tell them.

i can try but i don't trust people easy.

Luie
This post was recognized by Luie!

Angel Dust was awarded the badge 'Act of Kindness' and 20 points.

28 minutes ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

i can try but i don't trust people easy.

Ok, good luck

2 minutes ago, lgbtqbi5 said:

Ok, good luck

thx

• Digital Mentor
On 12/5/2022 at 4:47 PM, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

Heyy @_mysticalMajesty_, I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label.Β 

I hear you as it can be so frustrating listening to your parents making jokes on a community that you identify with, it also sounds hurtful because I know how important that support is needed especially because it's who you are. I am sorry that such support is not present at home, something I would like to echo is that please do not share this with your parents if it won't be safe for you, because your safety (physically and emotionally) is crucial because you are staying under the same roof and will be for a while. I know that this might not be what you want to hear however, I do understand that you have changed schools recently and it's obvious that trusting people immediately is not a thing, it takes a while to build up. I was wondering whether there are any clubs and societies which have the LGBTQI+ community in it? As you are new to the school please take the time to navigate things and allow yourself to settle in if that helps. For now, you can continue sharing your feeling and thoughts here on the community. How does this sound to you?

@lgbtqbi5Β Thanks for sharing your experience and making helpful suggestions.Β 

Staff-Account.png

22 minutes ago, Luie said:

Heyy @_mysticalMajesty_, I am Luie, one of the support mentors with Ditch the Label.Β 

I hear you as it can be so frustrating listening to your parents making jokes on a community that you identify with, it also sounds hurtful because I know how important that support is needed especially because it's who you are. I am sorry that such support is not present at home, something I would like to echo is that please do not share this with your parents if it won't be safe for you, because your safety (physically and emotionally) is crucial because you are staying under the same roof and will be for a while. I know that this might not be what you want to hear however, I do understand that you have changed schools recently and it's obvious that trusting people immediately is not a thing, it takes a while to build up. I was wondering whether there are any clubs and societies which have the LGBTQI+ community in it? As you are new to the school please take the time to navigate things and allow yourself to settle in if that helps. For now, you can continue sharing your feeling and thoughts here on the community. How does this sound to you?

@lgbtqbi5Β Thanks for sharing your experience and making helpful suggestions.Β 

I think there are clubs but i would't be able to do any of them cause i need my parents to allow me too. I don't really care if my parents find out too cause i want to be able to be my self around them.

1 hour ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

I think there are clubs but i would't be able to do any of them cause i need my parents to allow me too. I don't really care if my parents find out too cause i want to be able to be my self around them.

Bro, if you don't feel safe, DO NOT TELL THEM!!! Seriously, plz. I have only been talking to you for a few hours but I would hate for a fellow LGBTQIA+ member get harmed because of who you are.

4 minutes ago, lgbtqbi5 said:

Bro, if you don't feel safe, DO NOT TELL THEM!!! Seriously, plz. I have only been talking to you for a few hours but I would hate for a fellow LGBTQIA+ member get harmed because of who you are.

yeah i know but its hard to not tell them/ want to tell them. I may end up telling them or they will figure it out

21 minutes ago, _mysticalMajesty_ said:

yeah i know but its hard to not tell them/ want to tell them. I may end up telling them or they will figure it out

Ok, that's fair

8 minutes ago, lgbtqbi5 said:

Ok, that's fair

I mean they all ready know i had a girl friend and they are mad about that so might as well tell them i am bi.