I think my mom's homophobic

proudperson72    

So today my dad, out of the blue, asked me what my opinion is on LGBTQ people. I'm not out of the closet so I just nonchalantly said something along the lines of "Oh, they're good." Then he asked me what if my mom wasn't as supportive. I honestly don't remember what I replied, but I think that he knew or at least suspected that I was LGBTQ, and that he was trying to tell me that my mom wasn't supportive. Maybe he was warning me not to come out to her. I don't know. After that, he asked me one last question. He asked me what if he were gay. I just said something like "I would say 'good for you, but why would you marry my mom?'" It was super strange. He's clearly not gay, since he loves my mom a lot (at least I think, they get along really well), and he's never really mentioned anything about the LGBTQ community before, so I don't know what that was about. Right now I'm just really confused. I think my mom might be homophobic now, and that makes me really upset because I always thought of her to be mostly logical. I honestly don't know why I'm even writing this, it's just nice to get it off my chest I guess. I really hope my parents don't find this

Thoughts or advice?

Hey there,

Thank you for sharing this with us. It's completely normal to be confused by something like this because what he said can be interpreted in different ways, and it sounds like it's really stuck with you which would happen naturally because of what he said. I'm wondering, what do you think would help you with this situation? What do you need that you don't have right now?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

I could really use some confirmation that my mom is homophobic, I don't want to point fingers if it's not actually true.

17 hours ago, proudperson72 said:

I could really use some confirmation that my mom is homophobic, I don't want to point fingers if it's not actually true.

Hey there,

Yeah, I totally get that. I'm wondering, what do you think you could do to understand if she is homophobic or not? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e