do u find it hard to cry?

sunnyla    

So here's the story, my dad is super tough and whenever I'm emotional around him he just tells me to man up and encourages me to bottle up my emotions and now I find it difficult to cry, even when I'm not in front of him.

Does anyone else struggle with crying? Should I even cry idk 🧐

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hi to you both,

As a guy I can certainly relate to this post. We live in a society that encourages all men to be tough and stoic and teaches us it isn't okay to cry, so it's no wonder that by the time we get to around about the age of 16+, we find it hard to cry.

So please know that you're note alone. I've battled this and to some extent, still am. There's actually a really cool piece we wrote about crying here:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/guys-dont-cry/

My advice to you is to work at it. Try doing it alone and listen to/watch something that makes you naturally feel sad and it may start to come out. I watched Lion on Netflix a few months ago and did ugly crying.

- Harper :)

Staff-Account.png

• Ditch the Label Staff

Oh, PS., I'm told that often we find it hard to cry because we find it hard feeling vulnerable. It makes sense really. Understanding that can be a powerful thing. Slow and steady progress lads

- Harper ?

Staff-Account.png