favorite canonically aro/acespec character[s]

illumi    

a thread to share yalls favorite canonically aro/acespec character[s]! be sure to share where the character is from; whether itd be from a show novel or video game. add an image of them if you want to

other canonically queer characters are also allowed! but this thread mainly sticks with sharing canonically aro/acespec characters

• 2 weeks later...

How explicit does it have to be to count as canon? XD

I recently read the book O Pioneers by Willa Cather. I'm pretty sure it was written before the term "asexuality" was invented, but it's... about as explicit as it can be in describing the main character (Alexandra)'s aromanticism/asexuality? She's repeatedly described as having never been in love or seen people as more than friends or workfellows, and by the end of the book she (spoiler) marries her friend. Their marriage is directly framed as being in opposition to the romantic relationships between other characters in the book, and they explicitly designate their relationship as a friendship and talk about that.

Even in the movie, they don't add a whole lot of romantic framing to their relationship. I don't know, it seems very very aroace, at least as an a-spec person reading/watching it, even if not to all the allos who will ship a male and female character if they so much as look at each other (let alone marry each other). XD

• Pride 1

23 hours ago, Ghost of Rain said:

How explicit does it have to be to count as canon? XD

I recently read the book O Pioneers by Willa Cather. I'm pretty sure it was written before the term "asexuality" was invented, but it's... about as explicit as it can be in describing the main character (Alexandra)'s aromanticism/asexuality? She's repeatedly described as having never been in love or seen people as more than friends or workfellows, and by the end of the book she (spoiler) marries her friend. Their marriage is directly framed as being in opposition to the romantic relationships between other characters in the book, and they explicitly designate their relationship as a friendship and talk about that.

Even in the movie, they don't add a whole lot of romantic framing to their relationship. I don't know, it seems very very aroace, at least as an a-spec person reading/watching it, even if not to all the allos who will ship a male and female character if they so much as look at each other (let alone marry each other). XD

any aro/acespec coded characters can do! its fine if their orientation is not directly established but the way they think and behave can buy into the aro/ace coding. such as elsa from frozen for example. shes pretty darn aro/ace coded. saiki too despite it being so fucking close to it being canon lmao

On 11/18/2022 at 9:27 PM, sevan said:

. saiki too despite it being so fucking close to it being canon lmao

omg i watched an episode of saiki K and HOOOOLY shit that's aro/ace coded

hot girl: *has a crush on him*
saiki: get off me you weirdo

Edited by A User
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, A User said:

omg i watched an episode of saiki K and HOOOOLY shit that's aro/ace coded

hot girl: *has a crush on him*
saiki: get off me you weirdo

only coffee jelly is worth his time lmao. some aroacespec folks dont really enjoy the rep saiki gives them because they said hes emotionless and reinforces the stereotype that aroace people are heartless robots but he literally shows emotions and also appreciates his friends; he just rarely shows that affection [just like me fr]

i dont get how people can dislike him. hes a chill dude

13 hours ago, sevan said:

i dont get how people can dislike him. hes a chill dude

he's actually quite funny too

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i'm reading the bone people by keri hulme and one of the main characters is asexual! it was written in the 80s but it's still pretty progressive for that time... it's more of adult fiction tho so for anyone who wants to read it, tw for SA, child abuse and explicit language

• Pride 1