Blackmailing/extortion

goblin    

I was approached by someone over Facebook to talk on Messenger and then to move over to whatsapp, this person was acting to be a girl and sent a bunch of nudes, this person asked me to send back, bit I didn't I sent one in underwear. The person has taken screenshots of the chat but deleted certain messages to suit them and now wants to send it to my friends, family and colleagues. I have screenshots of the full conversation where those photos of the person and eveeything is also showed, but I'm not sure what to do. The person is asking for money in exchange not to send anything and delete it? What do I do?

8 hours ago, goblin said:

I was approached by someone over Facebook to talk on Messenger and then to move over to whatsapp, this person was acting to be a girl and sent a bunch of nudes, this person asked me to send back, bit I didn't I sent one in underwear. The person has taken screenshots of the chat but deleted certain messages to suit them and now wants to send it to my friends, family and colleagues. I have screenshots of the full conversation where those photos of the person and eveeything is also showed, but I'm not sure what to do. The person is asking for money in exchange not to send anything and delete it? What do I do?

Hey there,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are being blackmailed for money to stop your pictures from leaking. I can imagine this is really stressful for you, but I just want you to know that we are here to help you through this. 

Thinking about next steps, the first thing I would do is block the person, and then ask all of your contacts to do this, and make all of your social media accounts private. Next, I would then think about reporting this to the police. What do you think about that? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

6 minutes ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

I'm really sorry to hear that you are being blackmailed for money to stop your pictures from leaking. I can imagine this is really stressful for you, but I just want you to know that we are here to help you through this. 

Thinking about next steps, the first thing I would do is block the person, and then ask all of your contacts to do this, and make all of your social media accounts private. Next, I would then think about reporting this to the police. What do you think about that? 

I think this could possibly work the person has been messaging me the entire time but I've put my read-receipt off to not let him see I've read the messages. I completely agree with most of what you are saying, I've already done most of that too. I honestly don't think he's got much to work with, since the money he has been asking has gone from R300 (South African Rand) down to R150 then to R100. If he had such a strong case to blackmail me, I think he would've kept the price relatively high. 

Hey,

Exactly, and he is just relying on people to give in and not see through the situation, but you have that clarity to see that he doesn't have much to work with which is really positive. Also, I always advise people to never pay the person blackmailing. Once they are blocked, they are highly likely to realise that they have nothing to gain by leaking the photos because it's for sure that they have no chance of getting money at that point. What do you think?

• Yaaas 1

6 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

Exactly, and he is just relying on people to give in and not see through the situation, but you have that clarity to see that he doesn't have much to work with which is really positive. Also, I always advise people to never pay the person blackmailing. Once they are blocked, they are highly likely to realise that they have nothing to gain by leaking the photos because it's for sure that they have no chance of getting money at that point. What do you think?

I'm definitely not paying anything. Not that its that much which is requested, but simply because that will never end the situation, he'll just continue since he would then believe it is extremely bad for me. I haven't blocked him yet on the number he is using to send the threats, I only blocked the number where it all happened. But with me not blocking he can still see my profile pic and not any activity on my whatsapp, which I kind of feel like is calming the situation down a bit. Not too sure what you think? 

4 hours ago, goblin said:

I'm definitely not paying anything. Not that its that much which is requested, but simply because that will never end the situation, he'll just continue since he would then believe it is extremely bad for me. I haven't blocked him yet on the number he is using to send the threats, I only blocked the number where it all happened. But with me not blocking he can still see my profile pic and not any activity on my whatsapp, which I kind of feel like is calming the situation down a bit. Not too sure what you think? 

Hey there,

I think that still being able to see the activity might keep him linked to the situation, and that by cutting contact, he may then feel that there is no possibility of getting what he wants, leading to him moving on. What do you think? 

1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

I think that still being able to see the activity might keep him linked to the situation, and that by cutting contact, he may then feel that there is no possibility of getting what he wants, leading to him moving on. What do you think? 

Also very true, I get your point. Just thought it might cause more intent and let him go on another number and bother me continiously

Hey there,

I get that, but I think the more boundaries you put in place, the more he will become discouraged and more likely to move on, what do you think?

• 3 months later...

Thank you for reaching out to us. 

We would like to help you out. Please can you email us at support@ditchthelabel.org so we can support you further? 

6 hours ago, terman said:

same happened to me if you guys could report ************ on insta i would be so grateful