Lesbian dilemma

laur88    

Hi everyone!

I'm in high school, and I'm a lesbian (closeted). I have known since I was in grade 7, and now that I'm older, all of my friends always talk about how hot guys are, and I just don't relate. Whenever I start to feel better about my sexuality, people talk about a new "hot" actor, which makes me feel left out because I don't feel the same way they all do, and I go back to square one. I have a crush on a girl, and I was talking about her (well, I call her "them" in front of my friends, since they don't know that I'm lesbian) to my best friend and I accidentally slipped and started saying she- and then quickly changed it to "them". I'm not sure if she noticed, but I feel as if she might know. My parents seem to be supportive of LGBTQ+ people mostly, but I'm not sure if they actually do fully support it. One second my parents are saying that "when you are older and bring home your boyfriend OR YOUR GIRLFRIEND" and then next second, they are talking about how I'm a late bloomer when I say I don't have interest in a "hot" boy my age. It's starting to really hurt keeping it all in, and I've considered telling my friend, who is supportive, I think, but I just don't want the relationship to change between us or for the "news" to accidentally spread, since a lot of people in my school know who I am and are friends with me, and could all ditch me.

WWYD?

Thanks!!!

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us. I'm glad you have come to us for advice as we are really experienced in helping people in your kind of situation.

I completely get what you are saying about how it hurts to keep all of this in, and it sounds like you're feeling more ready to take that next step and open up to people you rust. From what you've said, it sounds like your parents are supportive and maybe have an idea about your sexuality given what they said about bringing home a boyfriend or girlfriend, and that is a really good sign. Also, I think your friend probably has an idea and chose not to say anything and let you tell her yourself. What do you think?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e