I'm scared to come out- especially to my homophobic family

lj13    

Your post really helped but the majority of my family are homophobic and I want to tell my parents but have nowhere to go if things go wrong. As I am only thirteen ( yes I know young) I don't know what to do but I am certain I'm gay.

Hey LI13,

Thanks for getting back to us. We will help you through this :)

I'm glad you found the advice useful. How are you feeling at the moment? Do you have any friends that you could stay with if it goes wrong when you come out? It always helps to have a back-up plan like that.

When coming out to homophobic parents, it's so important to give them time. Although they may react badly at first, they may just need time to get used to the idea, and this is often the case. Also, it is a good idea to come out to them in a public place. Doing this means that the people around you can intervene if something goes wrong.

Alternatively, if you feel that coming out wouldn't be safe or would cause major upheaval for you (i.e. homelessness, although we can recommend organisations that support around this), it might be a worth considering waiting until you are able to leave home for college or university. I realise this isn't ideal as we should all be who we are but prioritising your safety must be a key consideration.

I hope you find this helpful. Let me know, and if not, we can figure something else out.

Hang in there! -Monsoon :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e