I'm gay in a country where it's illegal

safarian    

Hello, I am 13 years old and I am gay, my mother is Canadian and my father is Dutch, both of them are fine with gay people and have hinted several times that they are fine if I am gay, although I haven't come out yet I am not too worried about it. The thing that I am worried about is that I live in Kenya, a very homophobic and religious nation with up to 14 years of imprisonment for homosexuals. I am going to a British school that is very accepting of gays. I would like to know who I can and can't tell and I would also like some advice for coming out etc.

Hey SAFARIAN,

Thanks for coming to us for advice. We are here to help you, and you are not alone :)

It must be difficult to live in that environment, how are you feeling about this? It is great that your parents and school are accepting of homosexuals. A lot of people don't have that acceptance, so you are in a great position.

I think it would be a good idea to tell your close family and friends who you trust not to tell others. With the legal situation surrounding homosexuality, it is important to keep these things about yourself between those who you trust completely as we don't want you to jeopardise your safety.

Here is a good help guide you may find useful for coming out:

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/coming-out-to-your-parents/

I hope you find this advice helpful - always prioritise your safety and make careful decisions about who you tell. I look forward to hearing back from you.

Hang in there! -Monsoon :)

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e