nervous for school since i dont know many people

clara    

last year i moved to a new school. now im going in to 8th grade and a lot has changed. last year i made friends super quickly. i was a part of this big group of people at school and it felt AMAZING. it was only the first week of school! then later in the year a lot of drama happened, most of my friends dropped me because i met them all through the "leader" of the group. her name is leah. she manipulated and forced most of my other friends to stop talking to me. that was in may/june of last year. i started sneaking in to the other lunch group to sit with the TWO friends that i made without leah. the rest of the year went smoothly and i never got in trouble for it, like some other kids would. now im really really scared for this year because my only 2 friends that i have left are in a different lunch than me. i only have ONE class with one of them. idk what to do because im so so nervous. not so much for the classes, since you have assigned seating, but for lunch and recess. i really need to meet some new people and make some new friends, but i dont know how! im so out of practice from it because last year leah made all of my friends for me. does anyone know how to help???

19 hours ago, clara said:

last year i moved to a new school. now im going in to 8th grade and a lot has changed. last year i made friends super quickly. i was a part of this big group of people at school and it felt AMAZING. it was only the first week of school! then later in the year a lot of drama happened, most of my friends dropped me because i met them all through the "leader" of the group. her name is leah. she manipulated and forced most of my other friends to stop talking to me. that was in may/june of last year. i started sneaking in to the other lunch group to sit with the TWO friends that i made without leah. the rest of the year went smoothly and i never got in trouble for it, like some other kids would. now im really really scared for this year because my only 2 friends that i have left are in a different lunch than me. i only have ONE class with one of them. idk what to do because im so so nervous. not so much for the classes, since you have assigned seating, but for lunch and recess. i really need to meet some new people and make some new friends, but i dont know how! im so out of practice from it because last year leah made all of my friends for me. does anyone know how to help???

Hey @clara

I'm sorry to hear about the way Leah treated you. How are things now between you and the rest of the group? Is it any better at all? 

I noticed that you said about not knowing how to make new friends, but from what you've told me, you've been able to establish two groups of friends in a short period, so you can do it and I think you need to give yourself more credit :). What would you say helped you to make friends with them?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

well some drama happened last year and leah just forced everyone else to ignore me. then everyone else in the group forced all of their other friends to also ignore me. so no, its not any better. 

my friend Frankie that i have now i made at cross country last year. im not doing it this year but we've been close-ish friends since. for my other friend, Adria, i met her in gym class. then frankie and Adria became friends too so we all started hanging out and talking to each other in the hallways at school. I have one class with Adria this year so i guess thats good. i just feel like after everything that i went through last year: going to a new school, making friends... now pretty much lost all of it. im back at the beginning and it feels awful knowing that i probably wont have anyone to sit with at lunch

19 hours ago, clara said:

well some drama happened last year and leah just forced everyone else to ignore me. then everyone else in the group forced all of their other friends to also ignore me. so no, its not any better. 

my friend Frankie that i have now i made at cross country last year. im not doing it this year but we've been close-ish friends since. for my other friend, Adria, i met her in gym class. then frankie and Adria became friends too so we all started hanging out and talking to each other in the hallways at school. I have one class with Adria this year so i guess thats good. i just feel like after everything that i went through last year: going to a new school, making friends... now pretty much lost all of it. im back at the beginning and it feels awful knowing that i probably wont have anyone to sit with at lunch

Hey there,

It sounds like doing physical activities like cross country and gym were really good ways for you to meet people. Will you be doing those things this year? Also, are there any lunchtime clubs you could go to so that you can meet new people?

1 hour ago, clara said:

im doing gym class this year, not cross country. and no there arent lunch time clubs like that at my school.

Hey,

I wonder if they may have them this year, or even after school clubs? Could you maybe check it out when you start back?