I've been thinking about this awhile...

Pixie_the_confused_something    

For a very, very long time, I have been struggling with my mental health and I have parents that don't really notice that I'm struggling and have unintentionally have prevented me from getting therapy and made it worse sometimes. Thankfully we have a psychiatrist at my school, unfornately I'm anxious to talk to them about my problems. Can anyone else talk about their experiences with school psychists to help me?

• Ditch the Label Staff

Hey @Pixie_the_confused_something 

I just dropped by your post and wondered whether you would feel it’s beneficial to talk things through with one of our Trained Digital Mentors? I know our amazing community often share stories or experiences and what helped them. But I just wanted to let you know that we do have Trained Digital Mentors here to offer you support and advice. @Monsoon & @Aurora 😊

If you need anything in the mean time please feel free to reach out. 😊

1 hour ago, Daisie said:

Hey @Pixie_the_confused_something 

I just dropped by your post and wondered whether you would feel it’s beneficial to talk things through with one of our Trained Digital Mentors? I know our amazing community often share stories or experiences and what helped them. But I just wanted to let you know that we do have Trained Digital Mentors here to offer you support and advice. @Monsoon & @Aurora 😊

If you need anything in the mean time please feel free to reach out. 😊

Yes I would be okay with that! :)

• Like 1

On 8/3/2022 at 10:49 AM, Pixie_the_confused_something said:

Yes I would be okay with that! :)

Hey,

Welcome. I'm one of the digital mentors here as Daisie kindly pointed out. I'm wondering, can you tell me more about the anxiety you feel around talking to the psychiatrist? What is it that makes you anxious?

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

On 8/5/2022 at 4:59 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey,

Welcome. I'm one of the digital mentors here as Daisie kindly pointed out. I'm wondering, can you tell me more about the anxiety you feel around talking to the psychiatrist? What is it that makes you anxious?

Well since it's a school psychiatrist, they might talk to my parents about the issue I'm having. The reason I'm worried about that is my parents seem to not notice or ignore any problems that deal with mental health that deal with me and my brother. I know my mom just literally doesn't pick up on it unless it's affecting my school work and when it is affecting it she tells me to "Use a planner" and disregards my emotions on why I can't do my work. My dad is just simply not involved enough to actual notice anything, of course  course he has asked the questions along the lines "are you depressed?" but I don't feel comfortable with telling him my issues especially when he straight up ignores conversations with my mom or when I'm trying asking him do something for me, he says 1 minute but it will be actual 20 minutes until he decides to actually acknowledge the thing I need help with.

17 hours ago, Pixie_the_confused_something said:

Well since it's a school psychiatrist, they might talk to my parents about the issue I'm having. The reason I'm worried about that is my parents seem to not notice or ignore any problems that deal with mental health that deal with me and my brother. I know my mom just literally doesn't pick up on it unless it's affecting my school work and when it is affecting it she tells me to "Use a planner" and disregards my emotions on why I can't do my work. My dad is just simply not involved enough to actual notice anything, of course  course he has asked the questions along the lines "are you depressed?" but I don't feel comfortable with telling him my issues especially when he straight up ignores conversations with my mom or when I'm trying asking him do something for me, he says 1 minute but it will be actual 20 minutes until he decides to actually acknowledge the thing I need help with.

Hey,

It's interesting because from what you've said, it sounds like there's a real disconnect between what your parents notice and what is actually going on. I'm wondering, if the psychiatrist did tell your parents about the issues you're having, what impact might that have on the situation? Could it be helpful, perhaps? Also, could you maybe ask the psychiatrist about privacy and what kind of information they will share? 

18 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey,

It's interesting because from what you've said, it sounds like there's a real disconnect between what your parents notice and what is actually going on. I'm wondering, if the psychiatrist did tell your parents about the issues you're having, what impact might that have on the situation? Could it be helpful, perhaps? Also, could you maybe ask the psychiatrist about privacy and what kind of information they will share? 

Well, as much as I want to ask the school psychist about not letting my parents to know about personal information about me, it is literally against the law to do, it's sucks. Now when that inevitably happens I feel like my parents might deflect blame on each other or on me, which I'm not completely not to blame because I don't open up to them , it just doesn't feel comfortable to do so. Also I feel like it would be awful for me to just drop a massive ass truth bomb on them about my emotions and my issues about myself to them, which would cause emotional distress to them as well to myself. So since this my information will eventually come out to them, I think I would take it to a slow pace and dropping small truth bombs that they can handle. My mom, is kind of passive aggressive and likes to shove it in and my dad will straight up go into self pity mode or blow up mode. So yeah I think giving small truths bombs would make it more of easier transition for them.

Hey there,

I know that practitioners have to let the parents of a child know if the child is in danger, but for other information, there are different boundaries, and I really would encourage you to have that chat with them to find out what the boundaries are. Also, that's a good point about dropping small truth bombs. I'm wondering, what might the benefits be of hearing from a school psychist how things are going, of course only sharing what is necessary. 

On 8/10/2022 at 6:41 AM, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

I know that practitioners have to let the parents of a child know if the child is in danger, but for other information, there are different boundaries, and I really would encourage you to have that chat with them to find out what the boundaries are. Also, that's a good point about dropping small truth bombs. I'm wondering, what might the benefits be of hearing from a school psychist how things are going, of course only sharing what is necessary. 

I hope that I can, manage to improve myself as a person and to stop trauma dumping my friends because that is unfair to them.

Hey,

When you say you want to improve yourself as a person, can you tell me more about that?