Weird question but…

-Penny    

Hi, so, weird question but does anyone have any tips on how to not be so worried about germs? I’ve had quite a bit of trouble recently, feeling like everything I touch gives me loads of germs, and if I don’t get the germs off then it’ll spread around my body- ik it’s kinda odd- 

Sometimes I can’t even eat or drink from the same things my parents have eaten from- like if one of them takes a bite out of something, I’ll get rid of all the bits that have touched their mouth. I went through a time when I didn’t like touching door handles, too. 

Is this a thing that’ll pass, or should I just try to get used to germs a bit more..?

12 hours ago, Piper said:

Hi, so, weird question but does anyone have any tips on how to not be so worried about germs? I’ve had quite a bit of trouble recently, feeling like everything I touch gives me loads of germs, and if I don’t get the germs off then it’ll spread around my body- ik it’s kinda odd- 

Sometimes I can’t even eat or drink from the same things my parents have eaten from- like if one of them takes a bite out of something, I’ll get rid of all the bits that have touched their mouth. I went through a time when I didn’t like touching door handles, too. 

Is this a thing that’ll pass, or should I just try to get used to germs a bit more..?

Hey Piper,

From what you've said, it sounds like you're feeling pretty anxious about the germs, is that fair to say? Anxiety often starts from negative thoughts that predict a bad outcome, such as thinking that touching something gives you loads of germs that will then spread, meaning something bad will happen. When we think negatively, our mind then feels anxious because when we have anxiety, we will then avoid doing something, so in a way, our body is trying to protect itself. However, when we think more positively, we can feel calmer about the same thing. What do you think about that? 

digital-mentor.png.37594766624d87064910e

23 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey Piper,

From what you've said, it sounds like you're feeling pretty anxious about the germs, is that fair to say? Anxiety often starts from negative thoughts that predict a bad outcome, such as thinking that touching something gives you loads of germs that will then spread, meaning something bad will happen. When we think negatively, our mind then feels anxious because when we have anxiety, we will then avoid doing something, so in a way, our body is trying to protect itself. However, when we think more positively, we can feel calmer about the same thing. What do you think about that? 

That sounds like a good idea, I usually carry around hand sanitiser everywhere I go, so that calms me down a bit. I’m going out later, so I’ll use your advice, and then see how that works out.

21 minutes ago, Piper said:

That sounds like a good idea, I usually carry around hand sanitiser everywhere I go, so that calms me down a bit. I’m going out later, so I’ll use your advice, and then see how that works out.

Yeah, definitely give it a go. So, the next time you have that negative thought, can you give me a positive version of it that you can use instead? Also, just so you know, trying to change your thoughts this way can take a long time, so it might not work at first because it takes a lot of practice, so try to remember that if it doesn't work straight away. 

10 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Yeah, definitely give it a go. So, the next time you have that negative thought, can you give me a positive version of it that you can use instead? Also, just so you know, trying to change your thoughts this way can take a long time, so it might not work at first because it takes a lot of practice, so try to remember that if it doesn't work straight away. 

Hello, I just got back from going out and as you said, it didn’t work today, but I’m gonna keep practicing the positive thinking. I was super anxious about germs at the supermarket, and kept putting on hand sanitiser, which is sometimes the only way I feel properly germ-free. It’s mostly when I touch shopping carts, and weirdly anything refrigerated that makes me feel unclean. I’m gonna try to just ignore it and see if that helps

14 hours ago, Piper said:

Hello, I just got back from going out and as you said, it didn’t work today, but I’m gonna keep practicing the positive thinking. I was super anxious about germs at the supermarket, and kept putting on hand sanitiser, which is sometimes the only way I feel properly germ-free. It’s mostly when I touch shopping carts, and weirdly anything refrigerated that makes me feel unclean. I’m gonna try to just ignore it and see if that helps

Yeah, it definitely takes a while to work through these kinds of thoughts. I think that in terms of ignoring them, that never really works, and it's good to acknowledge them because you can then process. What do you think? It can also be helpful to do a relaxation technique when you feel the anxiety. Do you do any at the moment, like breathing activities? I can also suggest some if you would find that helpful. Speak soon. 

1 hour ago, Monsoon said:

Yeah, it definitely takes a while to work through these kinds of thoughts. I think that in terms of ignoring them, that never really works, and it's good to acknowledge them because you can then process. What do you think? It can also be helpful to do a relaxation technique when you feel the anxiety. Do you do any at the moment, like breathing activities? I can also suggest some if you would find that helpful. Speak soon. 

It would be great if you could suggest some relaxation techniques, if you don’t mind. I might start making a list of the things that make me feel the most anxious, and then write down the things that I could do to help. My parents are trying to book an appointment at the doctors about general anxiety, but it keeps getting cancelled, but hopefully I can go soon.

Hey there,

We have a meditation guide here; would you like to take a look and let me know what you think? https://mx.ditchthelabel.org/how-to-meditate/

There are also some other guides here for tips on how to relax: 

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/how-to-look-after-mental-health/ 

https://mx.ditchthelabel.org/101-ultimate-ways-chill-reduce-stress/ 

You could have a read and maybe let me know three things you can try next? 

• Like 1

On 7/27/2022 at 1:31 PM, Monsoon said:

Hey there,

We have a meditation guide here; would you like to take a look and let me know what you think? https://mx.ditchthelabel.org/how-to-meditate/

There are also some other guides here for tips on how to relax: 

https://www.ditchthelabel.org/how-to-look-after-mental-health/ 

https://mx.ditchthelabel.org/101-ultimate-ways-chill-reduce-stress/ 

You could have a read and maybe let me know three things you can try next? 

Hello, I’ve been having a read and I think I’ll try some of the meditation and breathing exercises.

6 hours ago, Piper said:

Hello, I’ve been having a read and I think I’ll try some of the meditation and breathing exercises.

Hey Piper,

That's great. Would you like to try them over the next week or so and let us know how it goes? 

23 hours ago, Monsoon said:

Hey Piper,

That's great. Would you like to try them over the next week or so and let us know how it goes? 

Yep, I’m going on holiday literally today so I think it’ll be a good time to do it.

53 minutes ago, Piper said:

Yep, I’m going on holiday literally today so I think it’ll be a good time to do it.

Okay, well have a great time and speak with you soon! Good luck with it all. 

Hello, I got back today and it was okay, I guess. When we first got to the place we were staying, I literally washed my hands every 5 minutes (for the whole day.) It got a bit better as the week went by, any time I used any cutlery, glasses or plates I would wash them, or if I was in a cafe, I would just clean the area I use. (But with glasses I brought paper straws to use, with eliminated a bit of the worry.) The breathing excerises helped a bit I think, but I still need to work on the meditation. Overall I think I might just need to deal with it, and find solutions to get around it. Like the paper straws, for example. 

15 hours ago, Piper said:

Hello, I got back today and it was okay, I guess. When we first got to the place we were staying, I literally washed my hands every 5 minutes (for the whole day.) It got a bit better as the week went by, any time I used any cutlery, glasses or plates I would wash them, or if I was in a cafe, I would just clean the area I use. (But with glasses I brought paper straws to use, with eliminated a bit of the worry.) The breathing excerises helped a bit I think, but I still need to work on the meditation. Overall I think I might just need to deal with it, and find solutions to get around it. Like the paper straws, for example. 

Hey,

I'm glad to hear that things got better for you. I can see that the paper straws and breathing exercised helped, and I'm wondering, what else would you say helped you to manage more? When people are going through a difficulty that they want to overcome, it can be helpful to set some goals to work towards. Would you find this helpful? If so, maybe have a think about a manageable goal you want to achieve in the next month or so and let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/7/2022 at 2:19 PM, Monsoon said:

Hey,

I'm glad to hear that things got better for you. I can see that the paper straws and breathing exercised helped, and I'm wondering, what else would you say helped you to manage more? When people are going through a difficulty that they want to overcome, it can be helpful to set some goals to work towards. Would you find this helpful? If so, maybe have a think about a manageable goal you want to achieve in the next month or so and let me know. 

Hi! Sorry I’ve been so inactive, I’ve been on holiday again and have been trying different things to manage the worries about germs. I carry hand sanitiser in my bag everywhere I go, but I’ve started to get awfully dry hands from it so I’ll need to think of a different thing to use. I think the goal I could try to work towards is probably to not feel the need to use sanitiser or wash my hands every time I touch something (a table or a park bench etc.) I feel like I should try to forget about the germs more, because they always seem to be at the back of my mind whilst I’m out. At home I feel safer, but I might still wash my hands after touching a glass someone has drunk from, for example. 

Anyways, in general I think it’s slowly getting better in some parts, like if my mum drinks from my straw, I feel okay drinking from it too, which I couldn’t do before. 

• Ditch the Label Staff
5 hours ago, Piper said:

Hi! Sorry I’ve been so inactive, I’ve been on holiday again and have been trying different things to manage the worries about germs. I carry hand sanitiser in my bag everywhere I go, but I’ve started to get awfully dry hands from it so I’ll need to think of a different thing to use. I think the goal I could try to work towards is probably to not feel the need to use sanitiser or wash my hands every time I touch something (a table or a park bench etc.) I feel like I should try to forget about the germs more, because they always seem to be at the back of my mind whilst I’m out. At home I feel safer, but I might still wash my hands after touching a glass someone has drunk from, for example. 

Anyways, in general I think it’s slowly getting better in some parts, like if my mum drinks from my straw, I feel okay drinking from it too, which I couldn’t do before. 

Hi there, this sounds really positive! And as you know, it can be a gradual process.

Small suggestion but I think you can get moisturising hand sanitiser which might help a little while you reduce. 

• Like 1

Staff-Account.png

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I’ve been reducing the amount of hand sanitiser I use, which is better. I am still a bit weird around using glasses from a restaurant/cafe etc, but it’s slowly getting better. :)

That’s great you’re doing better - what do you think has helped you to get onto a more positive path? Also, would you like anymore support for now, or are you good?